karenmeal

Copyright Free Images?

For living rooms go to http://www.rent.com and just look at different apartments. As far as the hearing aids......im drawing a blank on that one.

What kind of paper are you writing that concerns those two topics in one?
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

It's not a paper.. my dad writes a newsletter that is about helping Seniors to stay in their homes longer.

I'm going into speech language pathology/aural rehabilitation, so I am writing a newsletter on special considerations for seniors with hearing loss. The article is about improving room acoustics, furniture arrangement for better communication, alerting devices for folks who are hard of hearing, and some tips on purchasing a hearing aid.

I want to make sure that I get copyright free images, because the newsletter is distributed to a number of organizations and may be sold (for a really low price) in the future. But it's hard to find the exact pictures that I'm looking for.

Is it OK to steal web images from rent.com?

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

well..the way i see it....web designers(in most cases) have the ability to make thier images not downloadable. I have an account with picturetrail.com and with them i can disable right clicking...so people cant save the images. and even so...how can they tell what images were taken from what website. As long as they arent stamped with that website url....then whats the harm? Im sure there are apartments out there that have the same type of setup. There are too many complexs in the country to have a different setup for each one. See what im getting at?
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

As long as they arent stamped with that website url....then whats the harm?

I strongly suggest you look into the laws concerning copyright as what you are advocating is against the law. Just because it's on the internet does not mean it is free for anyone to use. Copyright extends to web sites as well.

The original authorship appearing on a website may be protected by copyright. This includes writings, artwork, photographs, and other forms of authorship protected by copyright

There are royalty free sites out there that offer images for use or for a few dollars to browse their library and download whatever you want. You can Google "royalty free photos" or copyright free photos.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

i can disable right clicking...so people cant save the images

lol

my browser has an option to reject javascript functions that trigger on the right mouse button.

I can download the image to view it. Once it's in my computer's memory what makes you think there is any way to prevent it from being saved except with my cooperation?

how can they tell what images were taken from what website.

They have a record in their logs that I downloaded it, and if they are serious they can subpoena my ISP.

This gets into DRM, it's not entirely settled in technical terms but in pragmatic terms the legal side dominates. If they catch you and are of a mind to sue, there's a good chance your goose is cooked.

Considering how easy it is to find (or make) royalty free content, it's not worth even the slightest risk, imo.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

What about just asking the people who have taken the pictures? Maybe even someone here has something you can use, and are willing to let you use it for free?

The pictures may still be copyrighted, and there will probably be some conditions for use. I anyone asked me, I would probably let them use pictures I've taken, as long as they ask and write that I am the one who took the picture.

There is also something called "copyleft", meaning that the people who took the picture will let you copy and modify it quite freely according to a licence. You can read up on this on wikipedia.org.

Stealing pictures from web pages is not only sneaky, it also provides you with low resolution pictures that won't work well for print.

Good luck!
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Thanks to everyone for the good information.

I definitely want to do this the legal way. I would feel horrible if I used protected images and then it turned into some legal battle.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham