unformed

brake grinding noise and cost

Thank you sir for your educated accessment of qualifications.:S:D:D:D

Anytime :)

Bottom line.. This shit happens all the time. Brake Places are the WORST about this sort of thing.

Criminals pretending to be mechanics, ripping people off is a hugh problem and has been for years...its hard to say if its getting worst or if its just being brought into the limelight more as media coverage grows...but reguardless its a hugh problem.

In my years, I have come to the conclusion that the place of business is only one factor.....you can find crooks in a small brake shop or a high end dealer.

You are correct I havent seen the estimate.. but driving with the brakes grinding for Two weeks usually mean new Rotors.. So add an extra $100 and extra 10 Minutes to change them while changing the pads..

I never asked if you had seen the estimate...I asked if you had seen the vehicle.....slight difference....however seeing the estimate would help in giving advise to the OP ..the only real way to do it is to actually have a qualified and trusted mechanic look at the vehicle.

rotors can range in price from $10 to $500....dont blame the mechanic if the manufacture wants to charge $500 for a silly chunk of cast iron..;)

changing a rotor can take from 10 seconds to several hours...depending on vehicle and condition.

P.S. No I am not an ASE Mechanic.. Just a measly IE that worked in Industrial Maintenance for 15 years designing and building manufacturing equipment. But growing up.. Between My Fathers Race Teams and My Mothers Dealerships.. I just might have been around a shop or two. OH.... And then were those 10 years I raced myself building my own cars

Dont worry...I can tell your not a mechanic...same as anyone who actually worked in the trade would be able to tell by reading your posts on the subject....you being a IE actually explains alot...as a mechanic I know that I dont know it all...engineers however...............:P

Ive built a race car or two myself...and raced a few also...nice work...relaxing...loved it....but nowhere near working in the trade...not even close.

I wont even say anything about mommy and daddy owning teams and dealers :)

You dont need a ASE cert to understand a brake system.

No you dont...all you need is good mechanical aptitude proper training and willingness to learn.

I took 2 years at trade school and apprenticed for 3 years...got my ticket and went to work for Ford dealers for 8 years...then moved on to the aftermarket..I am nearing 12 years in the aftermarket....I hold a Class A Interprovintial Automotive Licence....thats the one that actually means something in canada...all my ASE certs were done cause I like to write automotive tests...its kind of a hobby ;)

I know shit....you know less.:)
Edited to add : I forgot the most important thing in my rant....I learn something every day...NEVER say NEVER...nothing suprises me anymore....and can someone get me a nice cushy job doing anything but turning wrenches??????

A leak in your master cylinder means you need to replace the master cylinder. $1200 a bit much? It all depends. Both sides or one side? What's your make, model and year of your car? These are all important factors that lead to the high price.

Did you actually look at this leak? Did you look at your brake fluid level? Did it dwindle? It's possible that your calipers could have ceased. Your pads could be worn down. You should get a 2nd or 3rd opinion.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

rotors can range in price from $10 to $500

Sure they can. That is why I looked up HIS Rotors first and posted a link to the exact set and price for HIS.

Haveing changed the Rotors on a 2001 Cherokee before.. I KNOW for a FACT that that there is one extra Screw to remove and then slide the old rotor off and slide the new one on.. Only take "me" a couple minutes.. Might take an ASE a little longer.:P:D

I wont even say anything about mommy and daddy owning teams and dealers

Just stating that I literally grew up in a shop.

Dont worry...I can tell your not a mechanic

Certified Auto Mecahinc??
No. Am I a mechanic?? Yes. Atleast acording to Bema, AIB and most of my past employers.
Titles started at Mechanic, Then Maintenance Supervisor, then Plant Maintenance Manager, then Corporate Engineer. Now it is just CMMS Consultant.

As for the rest.. Well I am done with this pissing contest. I never questioned your qualifications.. It was you that that started I was "Talking out of my ass.". :S

I believe J was making reference to the $1200 bill.

I would agree....it's REAL fucking easy to put together a $1200 estimate...more so when it's twice the cost to do the repair.

and guys like you wonder why people on the street are afraid of mechanics...the ASE is a license to steal from unknowing vehicle owners...

certs prove NOTHING outside of expense, time, and effort to take and pass a test.

and guys like you wonder why people on the street are afraid of mechanics...the ASE is a license to steal from unknowing vehicle owners...

So is a law degree, or a plumbing qualification or any other trade. Most mechanics are not out to rip you off.

certs prove NOTHING outside of expense, time, and effort to take and pass a test.

You mean nothing outside the fact that they spent enough time, effort and money to learn their subject?

I believe J was making reference to the $1200 bill.

I would agree....it's REAL fucking easy to put together a $1200 estimate...more so when it's twice the cost to do the repair.

Did you not read what was written??????

Edited to add: I think I have proven time and time again that I like to help people with there repairs..ask any skydiver that brings there vehicle to me...they always get a fucking super deal...I actually loose money when working on my friends cars..stupid yea..but thats me.

My full retail customers get a solid mechanic who gives a proper estimate and will take the time to explain the repairs and say what is needed and what is maintance etc...

read up before shooting your mouth off ..TY :)

Okay here's my final invoice:

1 Bendix Semi-Met Disc Pad
Parts: 97.45
Labor: 79.95
Misc: -20.00
Total: 157.40

1 Bendix Relined Shoe
Parts: 89.55
Total: 149.50

1 Trustar/Coni-seal Brake Hardware
Parts: 32.15

2 Bendix Wheel Cylinder
Parts: 69.85 each
Labor: 34.97 each
Total: 209.64

1 Bleed and Flush Brake System
Labor: 59.99

Final:
Parts: 318.85
Labor: 289.83
Shop Supplies: 30.43
Tax: 15.72
TOTAL: 654.83

Declined by customer:
2 Remanufactured Calipers
2 Brake Drums
2 Brake Rotors

He said personally he likes rebuilding parts, so he'll offer all the work to get the car in tip-top shape, but if price is a concern to just mention that and he'll say what's necessary and not.
This ad space for sale.

WTF?

thats a estimate or bill?

I work tomorrow..I will have my back counter guy do off a estimate for the same vehicle...full retail for front pads,rotors....rear shoes,spring kit,drums,wheel cylinders... and flush.

show ya all what a real estimate looks like...everything will be in detail with needed and recommended seperated (will give ficitional story with estimate)

I will scan and post before monday morning.

I am also in need of learning my new camcorder and editing...will see if I can make and post a short video on brakes in the near future.

Sigh...boys will be boys. I'm just waiting for the, "Oh yeah, well my dad can beat up your dad" comment from someone. :P

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Okay here's my final invoice:

1 Bendix Semi-Met Disc Pad
Parts: 97.45
Total: 157.40

1 Bendix Relined Shoe
Parts: 89.55
Total: 149.50

1 Trustar/Coni-seal Brake Hardware
Parts: 32.15

2 Bendix Wheel Cylinder
Parts: 69.85 each
Labor: 34.97 each
Total: 209.64

1 Bleed and Flush Brake System
Labor: 59.99

Final:
Parts: 318.85
Labor: 289.83
Shop Supplies: 30.43
Tax: 15.72
TOTAL: 654.83

Declined by customer:
2 Remanufactured Calipers
2 Brake Drums
2 Brake Rotors

He said personally he likes rebuilding parts, so he'll offer all the work to get the car in tip-top shape, but if price is a concern to just mention that and he'll say what's necessary and not.

that does not make alot of sence to me...i'd perfer to see the actual estimate/bill scanned...but...u declined rotors and drums?....where was the grinding coming from for 3 weeks?...something is gona tear the shit outa your new pads or drums!!!!

Have you checked your fluids lately?

Um...they did that for me the last time I went for an oil change. :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Tsk tsk...4 years ago we had chats about vehicle maintance...and now where are we..going right back down that same ol road that had some mechanic in FL using a torch to heat up the oil pan so the sludge could slowly drip out......[:/]

:P

Under each item it said either "Comply with recommended maintenance" or "Part is close to end of useful life". He said the calipers and drums/rotors were rusted but could be driven on for a little while, but they should be replaced soon. Also, the wheel cylinder was the one leaking was was causing something else (I don't quite remember ... the shoe maybe?) to disintegrate so that needed to be replaced.

An additional note: from comparing how it was driving before to how its driving now, the brake pedal had no pressure at all before, while it feels right now.

Besides that, I don't really have any idea. I've always driven beaters in the past which I dumped when they stopped doing what I wanted them to do.
This ad space for sale.

that does not make alot of sence to me...i

Nor me. If the pads were gone, the rotors will be shot too. But they'd have to be really bad before it would need calipers. I have seen them that bad but only when the car was driven so long, the pads had totally worn through the backing and started chewing away the pistons. If the wheel cylinders were leaking, it would need them and new shoes, but the drums should be ok. It might be right that it needs all that work, but I've only ever done that much work on total rebuilds. Never on a service.

I'm really glad I don't have to fix other peoples cars anymore though. Dirty nasty thankless work it is.

I must apoligise for hijacking your thread....sorry :$

lots of different things can and will happen to cars ...just because someone gets a $1200 estimate does not mean that they are being "ripped off" and it also does not mean that they are not getting "ripped off"...every situation is different....I have been asked for a "second opinion" many many times...sometines my estimate comes out lower with a rec to stay away from said shop...sometimes my estimates is higher with a rec to stay away from said shop(missed safety shit)...sometimes i tell customers that they had a great estimate from the other shop......

enough of this crap..i work 5, 14 hour shifts in the next week...cars suck!!!!

that does not make alot of sence to me...i

Nor me. If the pads were gone, the rotors will be shot too. But they'd have to be really bad before it would need calipers. I have seen them that bad but only when the car was driven so long, the pads had totally worn through the backing and started chewing away the pistons. If the wheel cylinders were leaking, it would need them and new shoes, but the drums should be ok. It might be right that it needs all that work, but I've only ever done that much work on total rebuilds. Never on a service.

I'm really glad I don't have to fix other peoples cars anymore though. Dirty nasty thankless work it is.

I owe you several beer if we meet...peace bro :)