TaylorC

Cobalt slider coming down fast

Hi,
If you’re planning to keep the canopy for a while and are willing to spend about $160 on it I’d suggest you think about doing an h-mod. My Cobalt 150 had some opening issues that seemed to be cured completely by this modification. The openings now are slow and very consistent, there was also a slight improvement in performance but nothing to be concerned about if you’re comfortable flying it.
All my openings before the h-mod were exactly like yours: short snivel with the center cells inflated then a fast inflation of the outer cells and a rapid descent of the slider.
If you like its flight characteristics and are planning to jump it for a while it may be worth the money.
Here goes a video comparing both openings (before and after the mod). Please note that the first was one of my canopy’s best openings (without the mod), the average openings were faster than that.

http://discovirtual.uol.com.br/disco_virtual/ronaldo.pqd/Skydive
type password: “portalpqd” then click on “h-mod.wmv”

Blue skies

Ronaldo
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

how much you notice your hmod in terms of increased speed in flight really depends on your wingloading.

at high loadings it feels like a ~1/2 size increase, at light wingloadings it feels more like ~1/4.
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

My point exactly, I personally would just buy a canopy that did not require any special changes(ie.. in deployment technique , pilot chute size & stow bands) to make good openings.

which is exactly why i like my cobalt. i like to pull in full track and cobalt gives me a long, snively (oh yeah: and on heading) opening just about every time.
Padalcek - CCO, HF-17
http://www.theflyinghellfish.com
I'm not a real skydiver - but I do play one on dz.com.

Traingular sections of ZP are sewn onto the inlets. If you see a picture of the comp cobalt its pretty much what it looks like.

This mod is done to varying degrees ( the size of the patterns ) by different people. Howard Adams are I believe different than the ones Joe Bennet might do, for example. Roq who posts on here has some for his own cobalts that are, again, relatively bigger in size, if I understand correctly. I'm not sure where on the size scale the comp cobalt pattern compares.