Cashmanimal

Tough Decision?... (cars)

So here's the deal:

I've been in the market for a 'new' car for a bit now. I currently own an 84 Camaro, but it is built for the track, and there is no way I could register it here in California. I have a hard time registering it in the desert, as it is.

I have found two options, and since I have not owned enough cars in my life to make a TRULY educated decision, I thought I would seek out the ever-wise DZ.com advice.

First, I found a 2006 Chevy Cobalt. Base model, nothing incredible about it. 5 speed, two-door, little car. It is about $12,000, but comes with three years 0% financing, and $500 in free gas. Also, it has a little over 20,000 miles on it, leaving about 15,000 miles on the factory warranty. Although I hear the car is relatively uncomfortable. To be really picky, every review I have read about the car says it has small cup holders. I know, small detail, but these things add up. I like having drinks while i drive. If I am not going to be doing fun driving, I want to at least be doing comfortable driving.

The second option I found, which I am leaning towards, is a 97 Audi A4 Quattro. The 1.8 Turbo, 6-speed. It costs half what the Cobalt does, but it has a little over 100,000 miles on it. Average for a ten year old car, but it is getting up there. I have heard polar-opposite reviews about it, as far as reliability goes, which would be the obvious concern with this car.

Every website i went to gave both cars the same rating as far as reliability. Assuming that they are the same mileage, of course. But I spent all four years of high school putting every penny I earned into building a Camaro that does the quarter mile in the low thirteens. I just don't know if I am ready to settle down with a car like the Cobalt.

My drive to the dropzone is about an hour on windy roads... could sway the decision a bit...

Having had a muscle car, I am used to taking some downtime every once in a while for car repairs, so is not a big threat to me with the Audi. My process at this point is basically: I would rather pay half the amount for a more fun car, that may, or may not, have some issues. If it has issues, I have the money I saved by buying this car to put towards repairs, which once again, wouldn't really bother me, as i am used to it. I spent every sunday of the last three years under my Camaro, and that was just the upkeep from 'casual' driving.

So anyway, i would love to hear the opinions of the many people on here who have been on both ends of the spectrum as far as car purchasing goes.

Oh, one last note... the car is only mine for four years until I move back to where the Camaro is drivable...

Edited for spelling.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

If you're willing to buy a cobalt or an A4, there are a whole lot of other cars that should be up for consideration. Why just those two?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

You're comparing an almost new, low-end Chevy to an older luxury Audi. That makes no sense.

I think a good approach is to first decide:

Luxury brand or not. (Audi or Volkswagen. Chevy or Cadillac)
New, barely used, or well used.
Coupe, Sedan, Wagon, SUV, or Truck.

Then, pick 3 cars that meet that criteria, and test drive each.

If you really want to only keep it for 4 years, then consider leasing.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Yea I am with the other guys. You have many options.

First I would pick a price point.

If your buying cash how much do you want to spend?
If financing how much a month are you willing to pay?

After that you can have a much or we will have a much better picture of what you are capable or are willing to spend on a car.
My first instinct is to say get a slightly used Pontiac GTO. They run around 20K used with low miles and do the ¼ mile in low 13s out of the box. They are reliable and not bad on gas (considering it is a 400HP car).

As a fellow car and driving enthusiast I think you will really miss not having a car that has some serious balls.
There are people who look at a car as a form of transportation and others who love to drive. If you love to drive get a car that will be fun or you will be pissed every morning as you get in to your fuel efficient, comfortable car that can't get out of it's own way.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I would keep looking. neither of those cars seems worthwhile to me. The Cobalt is a POS in my opinion andthe Audi with 100K on it will cost you in repairs and may be a royal pain in the ass to work on and get parts for.

Take the same cash, Buy a Honda or Toyota. Want sporty, Accord EX v6 Coupe or Civic si depending on the budget.

But I spent all four years of high school putting every penny I earned into building a Camaro that does the quarter mile in the low thirteens

I have a 71 340 Duster fully street legal that will run 12:20`s all day long on DOTs but with a 5:13 rear end driving it on the street just isnt practical. (I am going to move the drive train to my 66 Belvedere This summer). The Honda is the grocery getter.

if this are your options, get the audi. you'll have fun with this!

Reading magazines in the waiting room at the repair shop is always fun. :P
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I would keep looking. neither of those cars seems worthwhile to me. The Cobalt is a POS in my opinion andthe Audi with 100K on it will cost you in repairs and may be a royal pain in the ass to work on and get parts for.

Take the same cash, Buy a Honda or Toyota. Want sporty, Accord EX v6 Coupe or Civic si depending on the budget.

What he said. The Cobalt is by all accounts a piece of shit, and while the Audi is better made, repairs aren't that far ahead and won't be particularly cheap. For the same $12,000, you could get a late model Civic or Corolla, with drivetrain factory warranty remaining on the latter.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I agree, lot's of choices other than the Chevy and the Audi. 4 years ago I bought a Ford Focus ZX3. Not exactly what i was looking for, but I don't regret it. It now has 130,000 trouble free miles and should last me two more years (at least) until I'm done with college. Stcker was 14,500, dealer had 500 off and Ford had a 3000 rebate so i got it for 11,00.

Basically, I agree with what everybody has said, except for smaller details that come with the cars. Mainly the Audi.

The guy who I would be purchasing the Audi from is an Audi technician, and lives on my street. He said he would be willing to do the work on it with me, as long as I paid for the parts. Very worthwile for me, as I love working on cars.

I honestly don't know why the Cobalt was such a front-runner. Probably because of the gas, warranty remaining, and the 0% financing. But when I drove it, it felt exactly like what it is. A cheap piece of near crap.

As far as a honda and such goes... honestly, it is nothing more than me being stubborn. I just can't do it. Not after spending all that time building some american muscle for the primary purposes of embarrassing cars like civics, I just really can't see myself getting in one without having to shield my face in shame. It's just me, being stubborn. Not that the Cobalt would have been any better, but at least it had a bowtie on it.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Go with the audi AWD on windy roads. Just rember if you change one tire you have to change them all. The AUDI sounds like it would be a lot more fun to drive.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Bro I understand. It was a sad day when I finally gave up on my Ramcharger. I loved that truck. I have since owned a Plymouth Sundance which I lost in a deer incident. Now I have a Toyota Corolla with a 5 speed. It is a pretty fun car to drive. I am also starting to learn to drif it. I haven't got it down just so but Ihave managed to make a couple of drifts. I am sure once I get the strut tower bar for it I will be able to really get it going.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Sure looks purty, but till you show me a pic of a 427 bored out to 433 under the hood for starters, she could be just another 6 cyclinder with a cool-ass paint job. Need some specs, ma' man.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

stay with american cars - lets keep us employed so we can jump more - nothing pisses me off more than listening to someone bitch about being unemployed and driving a foreign car - maybe if people bought american fist we wouldn't have as much welfare or unemployment

The concept that Hondas are Foreign and Doges are Domestic just doesn’t work any more.

Most Hondas sold in the US are Assembled in the US (Parts made here too) and The Dodge Truck I bought several years ago was made in Mexico.:S

True that Detroit is Dead but the auto Industry is going STRONG and growing here in the southeast US. I spent last week working with 5 Nissan Parts (Instrumentation, Exhaust and Interior products) Plants in Tennessee. they are doing great and plan on expanding yet again.

The problem with Chevy, Ford and Dodge is that their Cars are SHIT and don’t last. Get a Honda or Toyota and you have a car that holds resale value, Lasts for over 200K miles and gets better gas mileage and employs just as many Americans.

As long as the subject was up, here is my "Baby."

Hopefully some will understand why after driving this I will do anything possible to stay out of a little honda or hyundai....

I went from this...(pic attached)..to a Focus. Giving up a street car is no biggy. It'll be waiting for you.
Trust me-get an economy car, one you won't have to wrench on all the time to keep on the road. I assume you'll be attending college. If that is the case then an ultra-reliable vehicle is worth it's weight in gold. You'll be busy enough with classes without having to fix your car every week.

I had a '93 Ford Mustang that I bought off a family whose patriarch died, and I used it for a good while then sold it to a friend who needed a car badly, and he ran it up to 298,000 miles before the engine conked out. Everything was original except the brakes and tires.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

As long as the subject was up, here is my "Baby."

Hopefully some will understand why after driving this I will do anything possible to stay out of a little honda or hyundai....

But you're willing to consider a small Chevy Cobalt or a small Audi A4?? :S

If your price point is $12K, the used auto-sales world is your oyster. Based on your original post, I'd pick the Chevy over the 10 year old Audi.

However, I'd pick a four year old used Honda Accord over both of them, more fun to drive, and more reliable than either of your initial options.

If you want something that's fun to drive, reliable, and comfortable, you might consider a used Civic SI, VW GTI or, if you can find it, a Nissan 240 (good luck finding one though).
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!