DSE

toggles in or out?

LOL.

How about using common sense?

What if you buy a new microwave?
Do you read the whole manual? How to warm food there? Do you check if it has something about drying pets inside?

No sure what you mean by that response but the use of common sense has got me this far.

And yes I read the manual on everything I get. Haven’t you heard riggers are anal that way?

Have you read the manual on your resever?:)

He's "new breed" never had to "dial" a phone or use a slide rule, you know how that goes!!!!:ph34r:

Mick.

He's "new breed" never had to "dial" a phone or use a slide rule, you know how that goes!!!!Sly

Why do you suspect that I can not pulse dial a phone by hand? I'm an engineer ;).

Yep, It can be.

I was taught to pack square mains toggles/reserve risers facing against reserve containers.

I have not seen or read about counter example, but original question has some sense.

Yeah, there was a time that I could pack a round main too:P.

On today's gear, it still seems cleaner to route the toggles facing "in" because (on my rigs anyway) facing them "out" puts a half-twist in the main risers as they go down the sides of the reserve contaner.

Bingo! That's something that no one else seems to be considering. Why would anyone intentionally put a half twist in their risers?

Just lay the risers down flat from the three-rings to the pack tray, which puts the toggle inboard. How simple can it get?

No, that puts a 1/4 twist in the riser, just as facing them to the outside does. The only way to ensure no twist is to pack them flat (toggles towards the back pad) like your reserve.

Either way I've found no problem packing them in or out on a modern sports rig. I pack out as I have had brake fires on crappy risers from the toggle being pressed against the reserve tray. Of course this is a problem with the riser/toggles that needed to be addressed.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

if it *does* mattter, should they be placed facing inside or outside the rig?

With some rigs (Vector, Talon etc.) the way the riser covers are connected / integrated with the left and right flap of the main container results in a 'pronounced seam' right where your toggles are when you pack them facing out. The surface of the reserve container at that same spot is smooth.
It has happened that toggles got caught under that seam and fired on opening.
If they are not against that seam, they can't get caught...

Just my $ 0,02...

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

if it *does* mattter, should they be placed facing inside or outside the rig?

With some rigs (Vector, Talon etc.) the way the riser covers are connected / integrated with the left and right flap of the main container results in a 'pronounced seam' right where your toggles are when you pack them facing out. The surface of the reserve container at that same spot is smooth.
It has happened that toggles got caught under that seam and fired on opening.
If they are not against that seam, they can't get caught...

This point makes sense. On the other hand, on my Eclipse, the reserve container "bulges" quite a bit, and I can easily see the toggles getting temporarily hanged up on the underside of the bulge. I've never had the brake *lines* fire, but have had a toggle come out of its keeper.

He's "new breed" never had to "dial" a phone or use a slide rule, you know how that goes!!!!Sly

Why do you suspect that I can not pulse dial a phone by hand? I'm an engineer ;).

Yep, It can be.

I was taught to pack square mains toggles/reserve risers facing against reserve containers.

I have not seen or read about counter example, but original question has some sense.

Yeah, there was a time that I could pack a round main too:P.

I rest my case. I was talking about a rotorary phone:ph34r:.

Mick.

***I was amazed at how this portion of main packing is almost completely overlooked. I did not find one manual that said how to stow the risers.

Some are and some are not.

Jeff

I looked again, at the attachment you supplied. In the part you have high-lighted in green, they use the word 'SHOULD'. That is not to say 'MUST'. I may seem like I'm playing a word game or trying to start something here but, their use of the word 'SHOULD', leaves it open for an alternative method.:D

Chuck

If you've ever seen one of these older rigs in person, you'll appreciate just how important it was to stow the toggles inboard.

Personal testimony to this effect:

I did a style dive once, starting out head-down to build speed. Unbeknownst to me, a toggle snaked out of the riser cover, due to loose velcro, and was trailing behind me. As I pulled my arms forward to come out of the dive into my style tuck position, I swept up the loose brake line and felt something constrict around my arm. I assumed, without looking, that it was just a twisted sleeve on my jumpsuit, so I kept on concentrating on doing my style series. So, I finished the style series, flared out to slow down and pull, and looked over at my arm to see what that darned constriction was. OHHHH SHIT! My brake line was wrapped around my arm, with the toggle flapping up above it. I had only seconds to pull altitude...

Many thoughts run through your head at a time like that. If I dump the main, will it rip my arm out of socket? Will the canopy malfunction, leaving my arm tangled in the line and unable to cut it away? Should I go straight to the reserve? Ack!

So I reached over with the other hand, snatched the loose toggle, quickly unwrapped it from my arm, threw it away from me, verified my arm was clear, and then pulled my main. The canopy opened, very oddly, but it opened. It sorted itself out from having one loose toggle and one stowed.

Landed uneventfully, but with pounding heart.

The moral of the story, like you said: Loose toggles can be dangerous!

Lesson #2: if something doesn't feel right, stop what the heck you're doing and address the issue immediately - don't wait until pull altitude to deal with it.