simplyputsi

My triathlon this weekend

Lets see. Out with the basics. It was a different format for a tri, sort of. It was swim, bike, run, bike, run, as the place could not allow longer loops for bike and run.

600 meter swim, 6.5 mile bike, 1.5 mile run, 6.5 mile bike, 1.5 mile run.

Although I was kicked in the head, and then had my goggles come off in the swim, which is bad cause i wear contacts, I still was able to swim pretty well.

I had trouble last year with the swim so I was very pleased with what I did this year. I basically dropped about 4 minutes from my swim.

Anyway noticed I might be doing pretty well as it didn't appear many were in front of me.
I managed to place 8th out of 19 in my age group, the most competitive I'm told. And overall I placed 56th out of 246, that is guys and girls combined.

Very happy with my results.
I should have some pictures to post by the end of the week.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I still say it all comes down to weight. Kelly weighs, what, 74 pounds? I don't know how much you weigh, but I'm currently at 201. I know when I get to 190, I'll be a buttload faster than 201. And 180, faster than 190. It's basic physics.

Sadly, KNOWING it and actually DROPPING the weight are two different things.

A woman I know who boxes at the same club I do has her fight weight at 106. I asked what she did to get there. She said this...

When getting ready for a fight I'd more or less have egg whites, chicken breast, fresh tuna, fresh turkey, shrimp, tilapia ect... Realistically, it was mostly egg white & chicken. I'd eat it with fresh veggies I make at home. No butter. No salt. No dairy. Plain. In the am I'd have a serving of oatmeal but, no shitty carbs after that. I drink alot of herbal tea. Esp. Green tea in the am.

Well, shit. If you and I did that, we'd drop weight like a mofo, too! But sadly, it just ain't that easy. It's doable, but it's a bitch and a half. Plus, she was training for five hous a day. I'm lucky if I can get in 90 minutes a day. Five hours? OK then.

Argh.

It could be a weight thing for me. I dunno. I put on some muscle in the off season and am finding it hard to drop some pounds this season. I have lost about ehh 5-8 but i was hoping for more of 10-15. We'll see.

I don't quite eat the best, but I really do try to stay away from junk. I guess the red meat is killing me. I have to have it.
Mostly for me though it's chicken, turkey, and pasta.
My problem with the run is I don't train for speed. That is about to change, ughhhhh. But for real, I drop say a minute or a little more from my mile pace and I'll be in good shape.
I mean right now i'm 8 min mile pace. That is unacceptable to me.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Depends on what it's spread over. If you're running an 8 minute pace for a long distance... half marathon, marathon, etc... you're doin' damn good. I average 6 minute miles during a 3 mile run. During my first half marathon ever, friday before last, I averaged 7 and a half minute miles.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Interval/speed work is probably your best course of action to increase your speed.

I also wouldn't focus on anything over about 6-8 miles... (depending on the lengths of the runs in your triathlons) But that's just my opinion and I've more or less only worked on improving my speed for longer distances (like marathon distances) and in that case I do need to do longer workouts.

I'm glad your race went well though...

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Try registering in the Clydesdale category. I believe it is over 190 (some races are over 200lbs). Some race directors offer this category and some don't. So, you'll have to check it out.

Generally, I place in the 25th percentile when I register in my age group 35-39. However, I've placed 3rd in two races where they offered a clydesdale category. This category will definately have less people than your age group but it will improve your chances.

Then again, one time I placed 7 out of 20 due to some very tall slender experienced guys registering in the category so that they could compete for the top 3 spots. That killed the spirit of the clydesdale division. You should have seen these guys swim. Tall slender people are very hydrodynamic and can swim very fast with less effort than a 5'9" 210lb person.

That's my spin on it. Try it. Or, maybe you already kick butt in your age group category and don't need to do it.

Icon is totally right. Best running advice EVER:

"Want to run faster? Run faster."

:D:D Specifically for shorter distances... :P

hey, dangit, it's a matter of not having the energy/power left in me at that point. I actually picked up my pace on the second run loop but felt that if i kept it up I wouldn't make the finish. So I backed off some.

Oh I'll run faster yet. You'll see!!!
Skymama's #2 stalker -

That's how Sprint work builds you up - Do Sprint work and interval training - adapts your body to getting faster so you can run faster for longer periods of time.

Oh I know, I just hate it. I hate running pretty much. It would be nice if I wasn't worried about shin splints all the time.

It looks as though that should not be a problem this year, so far.

sprints, yuck!!!!

If it makes it any better you can call it a fartlek run... :ph34r::D

Fartlek Definition

Cause at least then you can snigger about how funny it sounds... :D:D

I still say it all comes down to weight. Kelly weighs, what, 74 pounds? I don't know how much you weigh, but I'm currently at 201. I know when I get to 190, I'll be a buttload faster than 201. And 180, faster than 190. It's basic physics.

Sadly, KNOWING it and actually DROPPING the weight are two different things.

A woman I know who boxes at the same club I do has her fight weight at 106. I asked what she did to get there. She said this...

When getting ready for a fight I'd more or less have egg whites, chicken breast, fresh tuna, fresh turkey, shrimp, tilapia ect... Realistically, it was mostly egg white & chicken. I'd eat it with fresh veggies I make at home. No butter. No salt. No dairy. Plain. In the am I'd have a serving of oatmeal but, no shitty carbs after that. I drink alot of herbal tea. Esp. Green tea in the am.

Well, shit. If you and I did that, we'd drop weight like a mofo, too! But sadly, it just ain't that easy. It's doable, but it's a bitch and a half. Plus, she was training for five hous a day. I'm lucky if I can get in 90 minutes a day. Five hours? OK then.

Argh.

How do people like that fit in WORK? Like, pay-the-bills kind of activities? :P

I feel really proud of myself if I find 30 minutes that I decide is going to be dedicated to fitness. :P -Of course it's not that I can't find the time, it is allocating it as a priority, which is entirely within my power to do...:S

Hey how's the belly-off going? Winner is going to be June 1, yes? :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I'm convinced that some of those people just for-go sleep... :|

and though the belly-off originally was going to end on May one... it was extended to 30 May to corespond to Memorial day and the "start" of summer...

at least I think that was the general consensous

I'm convinced that some of those people just for-go sleep... :|

and though the belly-off originally was going to end on May one... it was extended to 30 May to corespond to Memorial day and the "start" of summer...

at least I think that was the general consensous

Okee dokee! just let me know. I said I'd throw in a custom closing pin necklace for the winner, and I'm a woman of my word! :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Nice going man, good job! B|

To add to what Mr. Dino said, make an appointment with a podiatrist and look into orthotics to prevent recurring shin splints -- they've worked wonders for me.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

So do you know Baxter? He's an Atlanta skydiver/BASE jumper and big ol tri-geek as well. He just summited Everest about a week ago. "Atlantas raddest dude" I think. Good job on yer tri. I've done about 20 of em over the last few years and the rush of a freezing cold mile in Colorado water at 6:00AM with 2,000 other FREAKS(that all want to drown you)is the only thing I've done that gets me all crazy like BASE jumping.
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"