inyournavl

How does a newbee pick a rig to buy?

How does someone new decide what kind of a rig to buy? Everyone I talk to thinks their brand is the best. I have done 14 jumps and I am starting to think about buying my first rig. Other than size, I haven't a clue what would be a good first rig for me. Where do i get enough information to chose a rig that I can live with until I learn more about what IS good for me.. I am 5 foot 4" tall, weight 200 lbs, and I'm 59 years old. It has to be big, and yes I fall fast.:)
It doesn't have to make sense, It's just the way things are.

Start with these articles (particularly the ones by Lisa Briggs) and then ask your instructors for recommendations on canopy size.

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Gear_and_Equipment/index.shtml
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hey John,

I just recently bought gear and once you get to the point where you're ready for it, it'll just happen. You'll find out which rigs are modern, freefly friendly, safe etc. There's a lot of choice. Don't necessarily follow your DZ's choice in gear. That being said, it can be good because there will surely be a rigger who can work on your rig and know how. If you're buying new, it might be a different story. For me, I bought used but very new. I found a rig that fit me and had the canopies that worked for me. I love it. I never really said, I want a Javelin Odyssey, it just happened. I did want to stick with a major brand such as Javelin, Mirage, Vector. I almost custom ordered a Wings, and my rigger had a Talon that fit me as well.

It'll just work out!

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

You face a tough decision because there is so much good gear out there.
Start by asking your instructors and coaches - over your next dozen jumps - what size and configuration of main canopy you should buy.
Then narrow it down to the three best canopies in that class.
Second, chose a reserve about the same size.
Third, pick a container size that will hold those sizes of canopies gracefully. Fortunately, there are volume comparison charts and container manuals to help you match canopies with containers.
Fifth, pick a container brand that your local rigger likes and is good at packing. If you limit your choices to containers less than ten years old, you will find that they are all Cypres-ready, freefly-friendly and include a bunch of other really "cool" buzz-words.
Hee!
Hee!
Remember, wearing the same fashions as skygods is far more important than being able to fly like a skygod.
Hee!
Hee!
Sixth, decide whether you can afford new or used gear. I will warn you that finding a used rig to fit your body and canopies may take a while. maybe all winter.
Note: any purchase of used gear should include a full inspection - by your local rigger - before any money changes hands.

I would suggest going 2nd hand for your first set of gear. Most important thing (other than its condition) is that it fit you correctly.

I wouldn't worry about brands and such at this stage; each design has its own advantages and disdvantages, and it is unlikely you will really notice or appreciate them now.

Buy from a reputable dealer/shop (goes without saying its been checked) or, if you do buy privately, get it checked.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

If there is 1 piece of gear that you decided to purchase new, I would recommend buying the container/harness.

Simply put, thats the only piece of the puzzle that is custom fit to your body. You can also purchase a used container and most manufacturers will have harness re-sizing available - for a price. So be sure to check that out as well. If you find a container that you like, find out the serial number and give the manufacturer a call. They often keep the body measurements on file for which the rig was built around. Another consideration is replacement parts, compare the cost of handles, risers, freebags, etc.

It is good to consult your rigger before purchasing, but most riggers should have no problem packing modern gear with possibly the exceptiong of maybe a racer.

If you havent already, check out the Infinity container by Velocity Sports Equipment. Very solid.

Send me a PM if you're still on the fence about things. :ph34r:

I kept asking my instructors when i was a student about rigs and kept being told, "well all the major brands are good". Finally one day over beers i got "Well I own 4 rigs and they are all Vectors, What do you think I'd recommend!" Um, good answer.

Canopy advice is important and you won't jump anything like your instructors, but ask them WHY the jump the container and make of reserve they jump and learn about gear that way...
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I just went through all of this being new as your self. I ended up buying new regardless of what everyone told me. This may be a mistake and I may out grow it faster then I thought but what I did do is buy the rig so that I would have to grow into it. this meaning I am using a 230 for my jump and the one I bought was a 190. I will do around another 25 jumps before I can get the system anyway. IF you buy used you can resell it for around the same price if you want to upgrade. I like having the custom job for my pack and since I sold My Motorcycle to get into the sport I had some extra money. I also paid around another 300 dollars then what I had to when I went through the rigger at the drop zone. Why - well I wanted his advise and I wanted to have someone that I could go back to and say hey this is not right. I hope that does not happen though. The one thing I worry about is no one wanting to jump with me because I have new gear. I might have to drag it behind my truck for a while to give it the worn in look. J/K

Just ask around buy some beers and take notes. Shop on line and see what they have to say. but most importantly get something that you want not what they tell you. The problem I had was that I did not know what I wanted so I went with what they told me. went home researched it. Made any changes that I wanted and went with that. I will tell you later if that works out. Like I said I am new to this too. others on here know a whole hell of a lot more then I do. :S

"Falling is the easy part, Landing smoothly is the most importent part!
-DJ Mike

With my body(short and stout) I already figured that the container and harness, I would end up buying new. The rest I will work on as I go. Thanks for the info and advice every little bit helps. I'm thinking that no matter what I buy, I will think It's the best rig in the world anyway. Ignorance is bliss as long as It doesn't hurt meB|
It doesn't have to make sense, It's just the way things are.