jdthomas

green beret demo

Ive done hundreds of demos....if you call that...and I know Twardo will agree with me....a tight landing area, you need to get a little more experience.

That landing area, from looking at your pics, is huge. I wish half of the DZs on the demos I have done were that big.
I wont comment on the actions and abilities of the team members as we all make mistakes at times, god knows I have.

Help me out here Jimbo.....agree ?

I do agree with you Jim.

And as you mentioned, far be it for me to comment on the abilities and / or actions of another demo jumper, we all know that Murphy Lurks! ;)

As far as the site...big enough for a safe demo IMHO, the fact that one jumper made a clean, safe, uneventful landing backs that up.

But I understand the point the OP is making, if it's a 'Rodeo' more than once...somebody missed a memo! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

That landing area, from looking at your pics, is huge.

If that is the case, would that not make the mistakes of this team even more obvious?

I would like to see the town on Google Earth so we can all have a good look at the whole area. Where was it?

Google Earth's satellite photos suck at least for Fort Scott, KS... mapquest's better. So, what streets bordered the LZ???

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=&city=Fort+Scott&state=KS&zipcode=

You'll have to zoom in.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That landing area, from looking at your pics, is huge.

If that is the case, would that not make the mistakes of this team even more obvious?

I would like to see the town on Google Earth so we can all have a good look at the whole area. Where was it?

Google Earth's satellite photos suck at least for Fort Scott, KS... mapquest's better. So, what streets bordered the LZ???

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=&city=Fort+Scott&state=KS&zipcode=

You'll have to zoom in.

the map you posted does no good, I am going to post a pic looking south from across the street. this pic may make the LZ look large but if you factor in the height of the building at the south end of the field with your gilde ratio then you reduce the landing area by the height of that building.
The wind was coming from the north and the majority of the crowd was also on the north part of the LZ.
If you where a jumper doing this demo would you be comfortable landing here, towards the crowd and your only outs are roof tops of other buildings?
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

If you where a jumper doing this demo would you be comfortable landing here, towards the crowd and your only outs are roof tops of other buildings?

Again....Yes I would.

But I would also stipulate that I certainly wouldn't take a big flag into there, for the very reasons you are voicing.

BTW...the tops of buildings ARE an out...not ideal and very embarrassing...but definitely a 'safe' out for the spectators.

If I were to find myself hanging in the saddle and there was a chance of going into the crowd, I'd be an instant roofer too! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

the map you posted does no good, I am going to post a pic looking south from across the street. this pic may make the LZ look large but if you factor in the height of the building at the south end of the field with your gilde ratio then you reduce the landing area by the height of that building.
The wind was coming from the north and the majority of the crowd was also on the north part of the LZ.
Joe

Yikes. It would take a good sashay in half brakes to zero in there, but a good sized canopy loaded 1:1 or less would be best.

I wouldn't do that demo, not with what I jump.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

[reply If you where a jumper doing this demo would you be comfortable landing here, towards the crowd and your only outs are roof tops of other buildings?
Joe

As I said before....I have done that jump dozens of times.
Just to name a few.

I landed a canopy at the intersection of Second and Fremont... in Las Vegas...among the highrise hotels with no outs. Not to mention the other dozen Hotels that wanted the same demo on the Las Vegas Strip.

I landed on a 30x75 foot lawn in front of the Regal Riverfront Hotel in St Louis.

I landed on a grass area much like the one in your pic in Atlantic City in support of the Offshore Powerboat races.

I landed in a 75x75 circle in front of Balleys Hotel in Las Vegas WITH NO OUTS for Honeymoon in Vegas, 19 times.......18 times at night after 1:00 am.

This demo youre so upset about is extremely doable with the right team.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Thanks for giving me the out TK. I have put myself in-between a rock and a hard spot, and that was kind of you to give me the out. However, I believe I still owe you at least a cursory explanation/discussion.

Thanks for taking the time to clear many things up for me, as well as others. And I take the blame for tying you in with Joe. (Faulty analysis on my part). In knee jerking, I said some things, that I’m very sorry for. I most humbily apologize.

Agreeing with you, the military free demos provide an excellent representation for skydiving to the public. Like you say, most towns can not afford demo cost money due to high insurance rates. Using a bunch of retired or otherwise military associated personnel generally means they have good health insurance. And for the most part, they are the kind of men that won’t sue the town afterwards.

Besides, they present a good picture for the Military also. 20 yo kids think, “Gawd, I can skydive for a living” and not have to pack all these parachutes. Course, nobody tells them, that they will have to carry a M-16 into the desert and survive with a bunch of camels for years at a time. This rotten dirty handed trick keeps us with an Army of 19 yo’s to protect us old people.

And you are right about my post directed at Joe. Joe was angry, ranting and raving, and generally stirring up a lynch mob with the internet skydivers. LLLL, he even had Billy Vance telling him to give Jim Crouch a call at HQ USPA. One stirred up skydiver, about a 5 jumper demo, where everyone landed on the LZ and walked away, is not something that USPA needs to get involved in. Granted, he did paint a pretty good picture on the dangers of this demo. But as you and I both will probably agree, ANY demo is possible with the right personnel and the right equipment. I don’t know the guys that did this demo, nor do I know what equipment they were using. As is true--and as the prop turns, I figure we will talk with them in the coming months, years, and all these questions will be answered. Probably in private, where this whole conversation should have stayed.

You made some very good points about demos that go bad hurting our sport. And I agree that all of us are hurt when this occurs, for the reasons you stated. We do have to be diligent on protecting our airspace and privilege to skydive. (When they DO go bad).

However, If I may, “to agree to dis-agree with you on whether this particular demo went bad”. I believe, we agree that they had a very tight LZ and should not have been flying the large flag. However, I can find no evidence that any spectator was hit. I can find no evidence that any skydiver was hurt. From his pictures, and according to him, all skydivers landed in the tight LZ, just no pretty stand up landings. (which would have been good, but like the large flag, not necessary). Three landed in the middle, and two landed out on the edge close to the poles, that border the LZ. I agree that this was not a pretty demo. BUT, I do not agree that this was a “bad demo”, from the evidence presented thus far. Of course, the demo guys performing it would probably say, “are you kidding me peanut, that was a DEMO FROM LLLLL”. Everyone may see something different from me, because we all see the world differently. I see this incident as a “good demo from LLLL”, No one hurt, and town got free demo. Joe sees it like chicken little running around screaming “The sky is falling—The sky is falling”. And by golly, we are going to have to listen to him. But lets not form a lynch mob based on chicken littles analysis. And for GAWDS sake, keep USPA out of this one. This is something that should be handled by concerned parties in Private. My USPA dollar should be going on some important business. Jim Couch, go back to sleep--nothing happening here-- they already drank the keg after the preaching.

To summarize,
1. I was not there.
2. I do not know the people involved nor the equipment used.
3. Its easy to be the recliner quarterback, and analyze pictures and make assumptions,,, and that’s all either of us are. But look at all the bullchit assumptions someone can make using pictures. (Chuckles, I’m guilty as charged). Want me to make up some more assumptions?
4. Joe appeared to be an angry, ranting and raving skydiver with ulterior motives. (Unless he has edited his posts, I don’t think anyone will disagree with me there. ) I give no credence to this type person. And we shore ass LLLL, don’t need this type person calling in the HQ USPA. Maybe I’m wrong about Joe also? Hopefully, in time, he will cool off, come back and present his case in a believable format. My best friends have often times came from people I was fighting with.
5. And finally,,, Lets see what new information develops from private conversations with individuals involved, “As The Prop Turns” BEFORE, anyone else makes more wild assed assumptions (and looks silly, like me).

Mayhem, Koas, rape and pillage, My work here is done. I don’t plan on coming back to this one except for comedy hits, that should not be taken seriously. BYE YALLLL

My Best Regards TK, sir

Peanut 4040
Its a good day to LIVE, why puck up a good thing.

There is no reply in aad section for. " hell no i would not put an AAD on my back"

Peanut
i will no longer entertain your post as no mater how vaild of a post i make you will spin off into some area that has no relavance to this. Examples like No trees in kasnas and Mr Peta how no merit and once more discredit you and your poor efforts to defend anything you stand for. I will never smoke a doobie with you or drink even a beer with you to make peace with you. please take your rant antics somewhere else.
For the record, I am a avid hunter so Mr Peta does not apply to me and the area I shot my spring turkey is a soild 120 acres of trees. open your mind and do some research, not all of kansas is flat and treeless.

Gawd, I hate it when this happens. I got the urge to sing now. peanut invites people that know him to stand back--clears throat,

HESSSzzzz losttttt dat LOVEEEINGGGG FEEEEEELINGGGGG

There is no reply in aad section for. " hell no i would not put an AAD on my back"

Oh and peanut, I did not say Lynn had over 1000 jumps, I said the opposite, at least as of September 2006.

Point well taken Billy, and by the way, EVERYONE knows you don't call the USPA until you have a situation where the first words out of your mouth to them are:

HEEEELLLLP MEEEEEEE,,, THEY ARE COMING TO ARREST ME

Oh and peanut, I did not say Lynn had over 1000 jumps, I said the opposite, at least as of September 2006.

Point well taken Billy, and by the way, EVERYONE knows you don't call the USPA until you have a situation where the first words out of your mouth to them are:

:D:D:D

I am just being a concerned skydiver who feels that this particular demo team does not have the appropriate checks and balances in place to make sure that they don't fuck it up again. Twice on the same demo? I'm not happy to see that happen, even if they did get lucky to walk away unhurt this time, and not injure bystanders.

I'm sure that Joe wouldn't be as mad as he is now if the CO of that demo had listened or read his letter with an open mind and responded appropriately and said something like "yes we messed up". I have the impression they completely blew him off, as did the town. Hence his anger.

I agree with JD. The Non-skydiving community only knows (and will base their opinions on) what they see. IF we in the skydiving community show them poor, dangerous landings; then their only datapoint upon which to base an opinion will be skewed toward the reckless, dangerous behavior of the sport in general. It has nothing to do with the intelligence level of the non-skydiving community.

:D:D:D

I am just being a concerned skydiver who feels that this particular demo team does not have the appropriate checks and balances in place to make sure that they don't fuck it up again. Twice on the same demo? I'm not happy to see that happen, even if they did get lucky to walk away unhurt this time, and not injure bystanders.

I'm sure that Joe wouldn't be as mad as he is now if the CO of that demo had listened or read his letter with an open mind and responded appropriately and said something like "yes we messed up". I have the impression they completely blew him off, as did the town. Hence his anger.

This is basiclly the whole of the matter. As I have stated before, least year this team screwed up and placed people in harms way. i spoke with the jumpers at that time and they did not care to listen. I then wrote to the CO of the team to handle this in house. the reply email was basiclly like we don't care what you have to say and leave this alone it's not a problem.
This year I went to the event with open mind and wanted to watch a demo for pure enjoyment. However the same team came in and screwed up once again with even more jumpers in a larger area.. wtf? how does this happen?
As far as accounts of persons being hit with a canopy, you can take my word for it and trust me or not, but it did happen. My wife, one close friend and myself where all struck with the last jumpers canopy, I think that others where hit as well but can't confirm that because they where behind me and us chiken littles don't have eyes in the back of our heads.
One thing that makes laugh is that I am getting support from many jumpers who are active demo jumpers with years and numbers and then trying to get flamed by some guy that just chuckles alot.
Thank you for the support on this issue.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

Billy, he said, "Peanut you are not there to look at this LZ in person." He is right. I also, don't know this guy, and am not there to look at him in person. Perhaps, the people that have looked at him in person, heard his arguments, and their reasons for shunning his recommendations are obvious--in person.

Billy, I don't think their second demo, was so bad. And we fell for this guys rants, like a troll. I think, we may have been "silly". Shame on us.

I agree with JD. The Non-skydiving community only knows (and will base their opinions on) what they see. IF we in the skydiving community show them poor, dangerous landings; then their only datapoint upon which to base an opinion will be skewed toward the reckless, dangerous behavior of the sport in general. It has nothing to do with the intelligence level of the non-skydiving community.

Thank you skydvr808 for registering today in dropzone.com. You aint associated with ASC are yew?

Did they troll me? am I on candid camera?

airtwardo,,, QUIT going through the offering plate. Or i'll fire you as an usher.

SO far, I've got one I love ya nut, from a navy guy named BOZO. I aint worried about him.

I've got another Puck yew peanut from another Navy guy. I don't know if thats an invitation or not.

One pair of purple with yellow poka dots Special Ops name brand underwear with no name. I don't know for sure, but they look male. I"m not going to ask questions about this if you understand...

Peanut, quit accusing people of being trolls. The user name is new but that does not allow you to start arguing with them accusing them of being trolls, besides the poster isn't posting from ASC anyways. :S

I see this as a demo that went poorly. Breaking telephone junction boxes when you fly into them is not good for the public's view of skydiving. It does not matter if these jumpers are active military, retired military or just some schmoe off the street, anyone that flies into objects on a demo usually should consider that to be luck that no one got hurt. There have been a lot of payouts on the insurance in the last few years due to people causing damage like this on demos or even worse, harming someone in the crowd. I'd rather not see the insurace jump skyhigh since someone tried to do a demo that it seems might have been borderline for them due to conditions or their abilities and ends up flying into something expensive or even worse into someone else.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Couldn't have said it any better... :)

"...or just some schmoe off the street..."

I think I was just P~A'd ! :o:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::P

did he call you a schmoe or a street person ?

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Just wondering- what exactly IS a Schmoe, and what is it that they DO? :)

The reason I'm asking is my buddy's wife asked me yesterday if I wanted a "schmoe job"...at least I THINK that's what she said. Kind of curious about what they do? :$:ph34r:

~ "Pack Fast, Pull Low... and Date Your Riggers WIFE!" ~

Just wondering- what exactly IS a Schmoe, and what is it that they DO? :)

The reason I'm asking is my buddy's wife asked me yesterday if I wanted a "schmoe job"...at least I THINK that's what she said. Kind of curious about what they do? :$:ph34r:

There was a TV reality show about Joe Schmoe. I don't think it lasted much more than a few episodes though...

We'll just call Airtwardo - Jim Schmoe :ph34r: