noblesmelissa

Disneyland vacation...how many days do we need at the park?

So we are breaking down and doing something that I always wanted to do as a kid and never did...taking our kiddos to Disneyland!

Got a few "tourist" questions for you California peeps...:P

How many days are we gonna need at the park? We wanna be in California for 4-5 days...what other stuff should we do while we are there? I know we wanna go to the beach one day...which one should we go to?

Thanks for the info...I am so excited!!:)

Reading your post gave me the shivers. Fuck this, I'm going to lunch! :D

Blues,
Dave

Aww...why is that?

My guess - Evil Rug Rovers
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Blues,
Dave

Aww...why is that?

The "standard" family vacation of touring California, spending multiple days at Disneyland, planning a family day at the beach, etc, just sounds like hell to me. I have no desire to ever remotely resemble any Chevy Chase character. :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Blues,
Dave

Aww...why is that?

The "standard" family vacation of touring California, spending multiple days at Disneyland, planning a family day at the beach, etc, just sounds like hell to me. I have no desire to ever remotely resemble any Chevy Chase character. :D

Blues,
Dave

Thanks for stealing my sunshine...but if you read my first post over I was not asking you to go along so you are safe...:P

1 day in Disneyland will be more than enough... at least that's what it took me 10 yrs ago.... I dunno about other parks around.
every time I went to FL, I would spend 1 day in each park; maybe I would skip 1 thing or other but, 1 day was enough to get me to 0-zero energy at the end of the day B|

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org
PMS#551
I love my life :)

I've had an annual pass to Disneyland for about ten years.

You want two days at Disneyland Park, one day at California Adventure (if you really want... it's fun, but not fabulous). You want two days at Disney because then you can take your time, see shows if you want to, and go back and do your favorite rides again. The park is just a little too big to do it in one day.

As for other things to do... how old are your kids?

Just some general suggestions that are either nearby or worth the drive:

Universal Studios (do the backlot tour!)

Take a rock-climbing class at Joshua Tree National Park

Go visit the Perris wind tunnel!

If you'll be here in april/may, go visit the renaissance faire in irwindale.

Medieval Times dinner

Los Angeles Natural History museum: awesome dinosaur skeletons. Worth at least half a day.

If you'll be here in springtime, go see all the wildflowers in Death Valley National Park

Places to avoid:

Magic Mountain: it's just too far away from disneyland to make it worthwhile on a short trip.

Knotts berry farm: Disneyland is better, and that's a lot of amusement parks for one trip.

Venice Beach/Hollywood, unless your kids are teenagers. There's a lot of crazy people talking to street-lamps, so it may not be the best environment for very young children, but teens have fun.

Blues,
Dave

Aww...why is that?

Blues,
Dave

Awwwe, but what about the little red headed baby? Isn't she going to miss out on alot?:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

1 day in Disneyland will be more than enough... at least that's what it took me 10 yrs ago.... I dunno about other parks around.
every time I went to FL, I would spend 1 day in each park; maybe I would skip 1 thing or other but, 1 day was enough to get me to 0-zero energy at the end of the day B|

They've added a lot to disney in the last ten years. You can rush through it and see a lot (but not all) in one day, or you can take two days and be pretty leisurely about it. It seems that people enjoy it more when they can take their time, because that way waiting in a 1 hour line isn't a really big deal, because they know they'll have time to see everything, so it's not stressful.

What time of year to you intend to do this?

If it's summer, then you'll probably want to spend 2 days at Disneyland since the crowds make seeing everything a bit more difficult and there's also much more to see in terms of parades and fireworks and such. PLANNING is the key to an enjoyable visit espcially with kids. Well, that and a big bag of money.

There are a number of good travel guides out there on the web. I'd recommend checking out at least this one; http://mouseplanet.com/guide.php?pg=A00000

As for beaches, you can't hardly go wrong with the one The Beach Boys were talking about when they sang "Surf City" . . . Huntington State Beach.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Oh...

places to NOT eat in disneyland:

Hungry Bear Restaurant (critter country)

Carnation Plaza (end of main street by the castle)

ToonTown (behind fantasy land)

The Lunching Pad (tomorrow land)

Village Haus (fantasy land)

Stage Door Cafe (frontier land)

These are just burger places (and not very good burgers) It's better to eat elsewhere. For about a dollar more, you get much better food.

Also avoid: Red Rocket's Pizza Port. It's just BAD. Just don't eat anywhere in Tomorrow Land. I guess the food in the future just sucks.

Places to eat:
***Main Street Carnation Cafe (middle of main street)

***New Orleans Square (near haunted mansion. You'll find something for everyone here. The clam chowder or gumbo bread bowl window underneath the disney gallery is quick, fairly cheap, and good, and the cafeteria style places like the French Market and Cafe Orleans have pretty tasty food)

*****Blue Bayou (New Orleans Square, reservations only) This is the restaurant inside the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. Eat here if you can afford it, but be sure to make a reservation. The experience is worth it and the food is really good.

****Bengal Barbecue (Adventureland)

***Red Wagon Corn Dogs (end of main street by the Plaza Inn) Yummy corn dogs. Good for a quick bite to eat.

Ditto Nightingale but California Adventure will take less than an entire day. You absolutely have to go Soaring over California tho. It is mandatory. Stay for the fireworks and then for the laser show or visa-versa time wise. They are both great and make a long day close out with a finale!

Joshua Tree and Death Valley will be hot as the blazes in the summer so take a raincheck there till early springtime when the experience is out of this world.

A day at Catalina Island is fun with a ferry ride out to Twin Harbors then on the Avalon. You can snorkle there on a day trip too.

The Zoo is hot in the summer and the animals hide in their shade.

Griffith observatory is interesting but not worth an entire day unless you tie it to a trip to see the stars in Hollyweird.

Nat's science is good. LaBrea Tar Pits is also Ok. LACMA is a pass unless you're way into what they have on the walls that week. The new Getty Museum is an amazing place arcitecturally but the art is not all that important.

If you are driving you might go thru Palm Springs and be near the cable car to the top of San Jacinto. It's beautiful and a good way to cool off.

San Diego is cool. The Star of India is amazing. You can go sea-kayaking with aquatic adventures. That's a great way to get a beach day in. You might look into sea kayaks over on Catalina too. That woulds be a great way to see the place and get wet with an adventure. Go for the "sit-on-top" kayaks. Easier and more stable as well as better in the swell and rushing tidal wash.

jon

Blues,
Dave

Aww...why is that?

Blues,
Dave

Or have any rugrats the little bastards...As for disney, if your kids are older than say 6 don't waste your money. I took my nephews there when they were 10 and 12. They hated it said it was too imature for them..See, that is the youth today little bastards.:D
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Awwwe, but what about the little red headed baby? Isn't she going to miss out on alot?:ph34r:

Hey! Easy now, my fuzzy little man peach!!! >:(:D

Blues,
Dave

Do you know what this one is called?

2-3 days so you can take it easy, maybe go back to the motel and rest a bit. Are you staying at a park hotel? Might be worth the extra cost. Don't miss the little stuff and shows; they are always really well done.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

For someone who hasnt been to Disney Land 2 days will be enough. If you want to go to the beach, it depends on what kind of atmosphere you are looking for. Huntington Beach and Salt Creek Beach are great for surfing. Laguna Beach and San Clemente are great for a family beach with good shopping, art galleries and restaurants. Dana Point has a pretty cool Harbor with good shopping and restaurants and a beach near by (Doheny state beach), its about 45 min south of Anaheim. I would suggest driving down Harbor Ave. from Anaheim to PCH and heading south. Stop at whatever beach looks good to you, but be ready for the traffic.
The Whitehouse on PCH in Laguna Beach would be by reccomendation for a nice family dinner.

-KB

"Pilots without Maintainers are just pedestrians with cool jackets and sunglasses"