waltappel

You know it's gotta be a trick...

...but how does he do it?

I dunno if you've ever heard of these TV/video/film thingamabobbers called special effects?

I hear some people can make a living doing that sort of thing. ;)

Seriously, it's not that tough.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I dunno if you've ever heard of these TV/video/film thingamabobbers called special effects?

ok - so how - was it eddited into the video?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

There are plenty of details that wouldn't be that difficult to fake, but how the hell does he do the hole in his hand that you can see through?!!!

Walt

. . . but how the hell does he do the hole in his hand that you can see through?!!!

Step 1 -- Lock off the shot. Camera never moves which makes this a LOT easier.

Step 2 -- Create a few seconds of footage without anybody in the shot. This is known as a "plate" shot.

Step 3 -- Shoot scene.

Physical effects. If using "practical" gun shooting blanks (or better, "airsoft" gun shooting paint), place gun slightly behind hand so that gun "fires" behind it. 2D image of gun fire will make it look as if gun was fired through hand.

Post effects. In After Effects, add in "fire" from muzzle and erase section of action scene and use piece of "plate" shot to replace to create hole in hand. Also need to touch up back of hand to make it look "normal" as that is seen in a few frames before gun is fired.

Encode with mediocre video encoder for web distribution to hide any sloppiness.

Done.

Now, knowing that . . . do you really ever want to know how anything "magic" works again?
quade -

I was thinking something along the lines of the "blue-background" type effect (like what weathermen use)...of course, that's old-school... ;):P

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Now, knowing that . . . do you really ever want to know how anything "magic" works again?

Yeah, how the fuck did Bill Clinton get elected twice? I know that was a while back but it must have been a trick and I've never been able to figure it out.

Walt

The word you're looking for is chroma-key, and yeah, that would be doable. In the middle of the makeup blood effect put a bright green dot where you want the hole to be, but I think the clean up on that would be just as much as just doing it by hand. It's only a few frames . . . maybe 30 total . . . in the shot. Really it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
quade -

Yeah, how the fuck did Bill Clinton get elected twice? I know that was a while back but it must have been a trick and I've never been able to figure it out.

that would be the result of not first having to pass an IQ test to vote.

that would be the result of not first having to pass an IQ test to vote.

Is this about where funks made an assumptin about the genes of the moderators?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It would've looked more realistic if he hadn't held all his fingers in such a normal relaxed manner. Next time he should strap some electrodes over the finger muscles and run a small current; that would get some very freaky looking spasms, or maybe just curl the fingers up tight like a tendon was cut.

Matt

Next time he should strap some electrodes over the finger muscles and run a small current; that would get some very freaky looking spasms, or maybe just curl the fingers up tight like a tendon was cut.

Then, there's this other kind of special effect called "acting".
quade -

Gushing blood? Digital Fusion, Artbeats, AE can easily create gushing blood in post, or it could be done as a practical, just a tube of red-colored Karo syrup.
Wanna have fun? Glue a sponge to the side of a very dull knife. Put watered down, red colored Karo on the sponge til it's saturated.
Now draw the knife across your wrist. The blade creases the skin enough that it looks like it's cutting, and the syrup being pressed out of the sponge "bleeds" to fill the gap, thus creating a cheapo knife wound.
As Quade mentions...this stuff is easy. "Titanic" is hard.