Grips

Bad Religions New Album! Kick Me Asssssss!!

These guys have been in the punk game [B]FOREVER!!![/B]

and if you have not heard of Bad Relgion, you should listen up, cuz, these (unlike myself) are some educated mugs!

Their NEW album 'New Maps of Hell' will help you get the 'Hell' Out.

Kick Ass, and Rock the Fuck On! Old ass, but doin ya Thang.

Much Props.

Thanks for Rockin!!!

C

DUDE they're not PUNK, they're not even worthy of the steam off PUNKS piss:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

:D:D:D fuck you. Punk means doing what you want, not what someone expects. It's a huge spectrum of music. BR is on the more melodic, polished end of it, but they have some great music. They also have always had a lot to say about the way things are and how they should be. My favorite of theirs is "I Want to Conquer the World." Expresses how I feel about a lot of issues. :o:)

Give all the idiots a brand new religion?

Answer, Faith Alone, and No Direction all have awesome lyrics as well.

Ironically (only in relation to this thread), Greg Graffin has written a Punk Manifesto.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Give all the idiots a brand new religion?

Answer, Faith Alone, and No Direction all have awesome lyrics as well.

Ironically (only in relation to this thread), Greg Graffin has written a Punk Manifesto.

"Hey Mr. Christian . . . your actions speak so loud I can't hear a word you're saying."

DUDE they're not PUNK, they're not even worthy of the steam off PUNKS piss:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

:D:D:D fuck you. Punk means doing what you want, not what someone expects. It's a huge spectrum of music. BR is on the more melodic, polished end of it, but they have some great music. They also have always had a lot to say about the way things are and how they should be. My favorite of theirs is "I Want to Conquer the World." Expresses how I feel about a lot of issues. :o:)

Oh so if i want to do disco I can now call it Punk. FUCK OFF YOU HAVE NO CLUE:D:D:D:D:D.
PUNK was meant to be a rebelion AGAINST the shit that's there not adding to it.:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

You're one of those rigid purists, stuck with the Ramones and the Buzzcocks, eh?

Disco Punk? Hmmm, it could work.:P

Maybe a better term is Alt Rock, whatever, but then everyone thinks you like that emo crap. Would you say death metal and screamo are punk, or are they too metal for you?

You're one of those rigid purists, stuck with the Ramones and the Buzzcocks, eh?

Disco Punk? Hmmm, it could work.:P

Maybe a better term is Alt Rock, whatever, but then everyone thinks you like that emo crap. Would you say death metal and screamo are punk, or are they too metal for you?

Ok John serious response time.

Punk is not a sound it was a rebelion, the sappy crap and disco that was around at the time was woeful. a few bands in the states rebeled against it, and the UK later made it a movement (worst thing to happen to punk IMO).
My idea od modern punk is music which sets itself apart from what already being blasted.
Henry Rollins a few years back would be what I call punk. Bad religion, Green Day and the likes are not even in the shadow of somthing different.

Punk is rare,
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

NOFX?

not bad :P Nancy Vandal was good too:P

Ya wanna hear some modern PUNK, Get some Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.
Jangling Jack is a good one;)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Ya wanna hear some modern PUNK, Get some Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

Actually, as long as we are mincing words, Nick Cave's The Bad Seeds are "post-punk". Bad Religion has been around since the early 80's and is pretty damn close to true punk, or at least "L.A. punk". Comparing then to Green Day is a huge injustice. Green Day is at best "punk revival", at worst "pop-punk" (nor are they close to the caliber of artist that BR is). NOFX is more "punk revival", but is one of the best in that genre. (FWIW, I love all of the above mentioned artists, with the exception of maybe Green Day, who are just ok).

You're pretty good at saying who "isn't punk", but it's not black and white. It's shades of grey, there are shades of punk, and saying nobody but the Sex Pistols is punk is as silly as saying nobody but Black Sabbath is metal.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I totally agree with your post. Green Day is pop-punk. Nothing wrong with that. We even took a couple of the kids to that show. Common lament for indie bands is the fans who can't stand it when the band hits it big. Is success always a sellout, or can you remain true to yourself while going platinum? I think Billy Joe et al have done a good job of that. It's great to see a whole new generation (my kids) of punk rock lovers learning to question authority and think for themselves.

As long as they remember Mom and Dad are always right.:P

And remember to try to make it to the shows and buy your music straight from the band. Try to stay away from Hot Topic and their over priced crap. :S

Common lament for indie bands is the fans who can't stand it when the band hits it big.

If they go big but retain the sound and ethics that drew me to them in the first place, I will still be a fan. Case and point: Jimmy Eat World. Unfortunately this is rare.

If they go big but ruin their sound in the process, I will no longer be a fan. I won't name names, but this is more common unfortunately.

But to answer your question, it is possible to remain true to yourself while going platinum. Some friends think I am prejudiced against anything "mainstream", and while it is true I don't listen to much of it, some of my absolute favorite bands are insanely mainstream. Smashing Pumpkins, U2, Radiohead. I will give anything a chance, regardless of where I first hear it.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com