bertusgeert

TI 83 or TI86

I learned how to use a TI83 early on and have found it to be very easy to use. In school, whenever I forgot mine and had to borrow a friends 86 I was confused as hell and couldn't even get it to do a simple equation like 2+2. That being said, I know the 86 has a lot more you can do with it. My guess is it is easy to use once you get used to it.

You'll be fine with either. My preference if the 83.

TI-89. hands down. The 83 is a toy, and the 86 is archaic.

The 89 has the best games, too, for what that's worth.

but the OP has the option of the 83 or the 86, not the 89, because that's what is available from roommates.

He's taking five real college level math classes, which will take two years to get through. You've gotta assume that he's in an engineering or science track, as that's way too much math for any humanities program. Its worth spending the $150, even if it means eating ramen for a month.

Of those choices, though, the 86 is much better suited. The 83 is really designed for late middle school to mid high school. Its not even going to be any real help in calc 1.

83 worked fine through all levels of calculus, number theory, numerical methods (practical application, lots of matrixes), statistics, and something kinda like probability.

really I never used it in calculus except to check myself when possible.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

Taking Calc 1, 2, 3, Matrix Algebra, Probability.

What's better - my roommates TI86, or my other roommate's TI83?

TI-99/4A

--Head
--
Turn off the internet! Join Citizens United Negating Technology For Life And People's Safety!

http://www.citizensunitednegatingtechnology.org/

Assuming a science or engr. track:

If they still make calculators that use RPN (Reverse Polish Notation), get one. It takes 10 minutes to learn RPN, and you'll love it.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Taking Calc 1, 2, 3, Matrix Algebra, Probability.

What's better - my roommates TI86, or my other roommate's TI83?

Get a TI-89. You won't regret it. I just finished using it for all of the classes you mentioned and more, and it saved my ass on many occasions. They've been going for about $30-$40 on eBay. If you can afford it, get the "Titanium" model.
Gravity Waits for No One.

Kind of like walking into an American cereal isle here - everyone has their preference and there are too many options:)
Those classes will all be done withing a year - not for science, not for engineering, but for MONEY - Finance and Economics PhD in a couple of years. So my guess, without knowing the contents of these classes, is that either would be fine for the purposes I need it for.

Thanks for the input. :)

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Get a TI-89. You won't regret it. I just finished using it for all of the classes you mentioned and more, and it saved my ass on many occasions. They've been going for about $30-$40 on eBay. If you can afford it, get the "Titanium" model.

I looked around a bit - they are nice, and then I double checked and my Calc 1 syllabus said no calculators with graphic manipulation capabilities (such as the 89). Would this be true for further math classes as well? 83 seems to be fine though - but the 89 is suited for statistical purposes as well.

I could wait til class Monday to ask my prof but skydivers are much smarter and quicker.

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Kind of like walking into an American cereal isle here - everyone has their preference and there are too many options:)
Those classes will all be done withing a year - not for science, not for engineering, but for MONEY - Finance and Economics PhD in a couple of years. So my guess, without knowing the contents of these classes, is that either would be fine for the purposes I need it for.

Thanks for the input. :)

Okay, So, considering that, the ti-83 will do everything you need nicely.

The main advantage to the ti-86 that I can think of is that more people areound you will know howto use it. Therefore, you'll have more help with using the 86.

So, even though it's more calculator than you need, go for it.

Would this be true for further math classes as well? 83 seems to be fine though - but the 89 is suited for statistical purposes as well.

I could wait til class Monday to ask my prof but skydivers are much smarter and quicker.

I had to find instructors that were ok with me using it somtimes... As some instructors like them an some seem to hate them. There's really awesome programs you can downoad for the TI-89 that almost do the whole problem for you... Which can come in VERY handy during those tests where the instructor made it way too long. However, for the stuff you're going to see in calc, the programs are pre-installed. The TI-89 shows the input and output in the exact format that you'd write it on your paper... The 83 an 86 do not.
Gravity Waits for No One.

buy a real pda and program it yourself. best bang for the buck, those ti-8x and ti-9x run at like 16 mhz and have like 512 k of ram, and they have these weird ti processors that only run TI software

a contemporary pda will run an arm core at 200-600 mhz, have 32-64 mb of main memory and a color screen. wireless, infrared, bluetooth, whatever. and you can check your email while taking your exams.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

I was forced to use a TI-89 at Rutgers for a Diff EQ class, but Florida Tech, where I did most of my undergrad, calculators were a no-no for everything but physics; so, I really never had to make the choice. But, I'm used to a TI-83plus if I had an option.

Some advice: Don't get hooked on the calculator. When I took that Diff EQ class at Rutgers University I saw all the kids were so calculator dependent and had no clue how to even do simple trig. Even though it's harder to learn it without one, push yourself to not fall into that hole.

Good luck!! B|

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)