moodyskydiver

gall bladder surgery

Well, I went in to see the surgeon on Tuesday and I was in so much pain and so dehydrated that he had me admitted immediately to the hospital and scheduled the surgery for the next day,Wed,so that I'd have time to hydrate and get some antibiotics going b/c I had a fever going in.

Well, the surgery went well except it took 4 hours instead 2 b/c the gall bladder was really distended and was full of a sludge that they considered infection.So we're still waiting on the results from that lab.

But all in all it was ok.The anesthesia wasnt bad and b/c I was nervous they gave me an extra cocktail of sedatives to help out.

The kept me overnight for pain management and observation.It was really painful but the nursing staff were great and my hubby didnt leave my side.

I was discharged this morning and have orders to keep moving a good bit to reduce complications with blood clots.My throag is sore from the intubation,but other than that,its all muscle pain thats to be expected from major surgery.I have a hemovac hooked in just to make sure theres not more infection.It should be coming out Monday.

So theres my update.:)

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Glad the surgery is done.

I definitely agree with the instruction to get up and move as you're able (don't go and try to hit the gym or anything, obviously!) - it'll help with the pain.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Just FYI in case the doctors didn't tell you - watch what you eat. I had a buddy that got his gall bladder removed and he can not eat red meat at all any more. He ate a hamburger about a week after the surgery and said it hurt him so bad he thought he was dying.
I have no idea what the gall bladder actually does, but according to his docs it has something to do with breaking down proteins.
Good luck with the recovery :)

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Bile from the gall bladder helps break down fat, not protein.

She may or may not have to watch her diet - I know several people that've had their gall bladders out and it's a mixed bag. Regardless, she's still better off with it out, now.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Bile from the gall bladder helps break down fat, not protein.

She may or may not have to watch her diet - I know several people that've had their gall bladders out and it's a mixed bag. Regardless, she's still better off with it out, now.

Yup. Agree 100%

Glad it went well for you Amber. Was it Keyhole surgery?
Like the Doc said Moving around is very important too, even though it's painful dont sitt and vege infront of the tele for a few days :)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Boy, yours sounds exactly like mine! glad you got it all taken care of and it wasn't too too bad.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It can take the body up to 9 months to adjust to not having the gallbladder to help digest food. Do not go thru "dealing" with it, go to your Dr and tell him/her about this problem. They have meds that will help with the issue. It makes life a whole lot easier and it doesn't ruin any evening dinners at your favorite restaurant.;)
I went thru this for about two months. There was no rime or reason as to what my tummy could handle or not handle. It sucked and ruined a few occasions out with the friends. Went to my Dr and she prescribed the synthetic "whatchamacallit" that my gall bladder would produce if I still had it. Life has been good!;)

Bobbi

A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Was it Keyhole surgery?

Yes, it was done laparoscopically with only 4 small incisions.Not counting the 7 times the had to start an new IV b/c my veins werent cooperating.I feel like a pin cushion and have the bruises to prove it.B|

For now I'm sticking to light sandwiches,toast,lowfat soups, broths and jello since I know I can adjust to these well.As time goes by I'll add more varirty and see what my stomach can handle as well as my throat from bring intubated..its sore like a mofo.:SB|

Well, I'm going to have the hemovac and tubing pulled out at 1pm today.I've heard this is a very painful procedure so I'm nervous.Even my doctor said to take 2 pain pills before the appointment.:|

after that I'll probably have the rest of the staples out in a few weeks.I'll find out more after today's appointment.

yup, been there done that too. Everyone is different as far as the healing goes, but it's not to bad, just take it easy. My personal experience is that usually after the morning coffee's, it's "go" time. No further explanation necessary. Sometimes, for no particular reason, i can eat a meal mid or late day and it's the same thing "go" time, like almost immediately following the meal. I think it has to do with the fact that there is no longer a gall bladder to regulate how much bile gets dumped into your system, it justs gets dumped in. Good luck.

Glad you're doing well. Unfortunately when i had mine out a few years ago, i had open abdomen surgery and the scar is hideous. Glad to know you won't have any icky big scar.

Definitely be careful with what you eat for a few weeks til you see how your body adjusts. It only took my body a few months to adjust and be able to eat whatever i want.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!