Auram

Buying gear at a Boogie (or what kind of discounts do you get?)

Hi all,

I'm a newer jumper recently out of the AFP program at my dropzone (Skydive Chicago in Ottawa, IL). Right now they are hosting Summerfest at the DZ through sunday, and there are a few gear vendors there including Freak N' Suits and Tony Suits.

I might have a small window of time only on friday that I could head to the dropzone to check them out. I'm looking to get an RW suit soon and wondered if I would find decent discounts from vendors (in general) at a boogie. Is it worth driving 3 hours roundtrip to meet with them in person?

Any thoughts, please let me know!

Thanks!

Yes it is worth the trip. Not because you should expect a discount (you shouldn't) but because a manufacturer will probably measure and fit you best for a custom suit.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Sometimes ya gets a discount and sometimes ya don't. I recently got a new RW suit from Tony while at SkyFest. I didn't get a discount, but THE man hisself did the measurements and is going to do a little customizing on it.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

The trick is to hit them up on the last day of the boogie, when they are stuffing sample jumpsuits/canopies/containers/helmets, etc. into boxes and started the dreaded task of shipping them back to the factory.
Then you might be able to them into a discount slightly larger than the cost of boxing, shipping, etc. just because the exhausted, hung-over factory rep does not want to bother sending it home.

For example, at the conclusion of the last PIA Symposium, one canopy manufacturer loudly announced that he was offering a major discount on display items, simply because he was too lazy to ship them home.

but because a manufacturer will probably measure and fit you best for a custom suit.

mmm... Both Karen and I made a trip to a manufactuer while in the area to get measured for just that. Both these suits never fit right.

The ones we ordered from big dealers fit like a glove.
Remster