rickjump1

A real balloon pilot

I got this off avweb.com this morning. If I remember right there might have been some beer involved and he popped the balloons with a bb gun.........[url]"On July 2 it will be 25 years since Larry Walters hooked weather balloons to a lawn chair and took his epic flight over Southern California. Walters, then 33, got to 16,000 feet, alarming airliner crews and air traffic controllers, before popping a few balloons to descend. He was rescued dangling from electric wires in Long Beach".
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

is anybody else thinking what i'm thinking B|

-That you might want to rethink location if you're gonna repeat idiocy...right under Bravo airspace is not the brightest idea. :ph34r:

...and you might want a BASE rig as the guy was just lucky as hell his lawn chair didn't tip forward at 500 feet. :S
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

-That you might want to rethink location if you're gonna repeat idiocy...right under Bravo airspace is not the brightest idea. :ph34r:

...and you might want a BASE rig as the guy was just lucky as hell his lawn chair didn't tip forward at 500 feet. :S

Yeah i agree I don't think the first guy put a whole lot of fore thought into his first flight but this guy on the link i posted seems to have gotten it dialed in. I was thinking of a harness under your rig and a cut away system after you reach altitude.

Yeah i agree I don't think the first guy put a whole lot of fore thought into his first flight but this guy on the link i posted seems to have gotten it dialed in. I was thinking of a harness under your rig and a cut away system after you reach altitude.
Carry some sand bags so you don't have to pop all of them before cutting away; just enough so you won't have loose balloons way up in Class A airspace. bee bee pistol/hook knife/beer:)

I tried to contact those people about doing jumps from those things in Dublin and never heard anything back. I think it would be cost prohibitive

What if it was BYOH?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

just use hydrogen, when it is time to jump, light the fuse and cut away the chair, roll on your back for the pretty fireworks

Do it at night and you could be a UFO.

You'd haver to time it just right - or have a remote - cuz that chair is going to rise pretty fast as you dismount.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

just use hydrogen, when it is time to jump, light the fuse and cut away the chair, roll on your back for the pretty fireworks

Do it at night and you could be a UFO.

You'd haver to time it just right - or have a remote - cuz that chair is going to rise pretty fast as you dismount.

shoot a few balloons to start a decent and have a long long static line (to explode the balloons). The remote would be safer.

Yup. Good Ol' Lawnchair Larry.

Sadly, he committed suicide in 1993.

His marker reads "Lawn Chair Pilot".

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."