Sky15

Riggers and manufactuers..MB for reserve handle?

Have you seen any very small harnesses where the manufacturer used a Martin Baker reserve handle in recent years? The manufacturer made used it in order to make the harness very small.

Not sure if it will fit yet, but just wondering if I decide to get this rig if I'll be the only person in the world with a MB handle. :S My rigger husband insists they are being used on xsmall harnesses now, but I haven't really noticed one or looked to see.

A martin baker handle would be the smallest foot print on the harness, I think. The 2" elastic or other pocket would take up the least room.

I suggest that the martin baker handle is fine if that's what get's the rig to fit. That's more important. Don't worry about being the only MB handle on the DZ.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Yes it's a MB handle from what he said, and he made the rig. I haven't seen one for a long time either. If the harness is that small it may not fit anyway, we'll see. I suppose if I really like the rig and it fits I may be tempted, just hate to be the only one around with one, silly as that may seem. I was just hoping others were out there.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes it's a MB handle from what he said, and he made the rig. I haven't seen one for a long time either. If the harness is that small it may not fit anyway, we'll see. I suppose if I really like the rig and it fits I may be tempted, just hate to be the only one around with one, silly as that may seem. I was just hoping others were out there.

Thanks for the replies.

Are you that insecure that you can not be any different from anyone else? What's wrong with having a one-of-a-kind rig?

I suggest that the martin baker handle is fine if that's what get's the rig to fit. That's more important.

What's most important is safety, not style.

The reason no one uses martin-baker handles on reserves now is that they can be snagged and pulled from the pocket, leaving them dangling from the end of the cable in freefall.

Aside from looks, that was my other concern about the MB handle, that it could get snagged easier. I wish I had understood exactly what type of handle it was before he shipped me the rig, guess I'll probably be returning it for a refund and be out shipping funds.

And I'm not an insecure person, but if NO one else is using something, I think there is a reason for it. Although I've been jumping a fairly long time and normally w/out the newest gear by any stretch...if I am going to buy something I want to happy with it, even the details.

When I worked for Butler (1192-1993) and Rigging Innovations (1994-1997) I vaguely remember building a few rigs with Martin-Baker ripcord handles because their main lift webs were so short.
Not my first choice for ripcord handles, but better than most soft ripcord handles.

just wondering if I decide to get this rig if I'll be the only person in the world with a MB handle.

One data point:
I know a short female jumper in my area who bought a new Vector III some years ago. It was built with a Martin-Baker handle to fit her.