Viking

Can't make up my mind on an MMORPG

I simply can't decide which one to buy.

I got the Free beta test or the LOTRO from a mag and love it but the fact that i still have to pay to play every month makes me wonder about Guild Wars. Then there is the fact that WOW has been the King of the genre for several years now.

I know there are groups that play Both wow and when Guild Wars came out there was alot of excitement. So can you guys help a brotha out?
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

You forget EVE. Instead of being a forest faerie with a sword, you get a space ship and get to blow shit up.

never even heard of it. is it out yet?

edit: nevermind i found it. That looks pretty cool. And i might not have to upgrade to much
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

DON'T DO IT !!!!!!! it's like crack and will take your jump money and the girls will not find you any more atractive

^ word.

What do you do when someone throws a big planet at you?
Throw your pilot chute in defense!

You don't really have the interaction like you do in WoW. Eve has one goal: profit. They're the ferengi of the mmorpg world. It didn't hook me like WoW, there wasn't really any story to it, just here's a space-ship, go make money, and there wasn't as much incentive to really group with people to get things done, which is what makes an mmorpg fun, imo. otherwise, you might as well just play by yourself.

I have a level 62 undead rogue on KelThuzad server in WoW. Played Eve. It got pretty boring pretty fast, and you can't turn off the damn computer voice. WoW is a good game.

WoW blows.. more kids per capita than any game out there which means LOTS more really really really childish crap to put up with, and absolutely endless repetition of the same tasks... I'll try LOTR when it 'matures' a bit..

Eve has evolved alot.. you can turn off all the voices.. but in fact sound lags.. most serious players have it off completely.

Eve is what you make of it... its open ended (no levels in the terms most MMORGS use) no 'grind' to gain skills, you train while you sleep, its all 'time' based. Basically the only thing you 'grind' for is money.. just like RL. But its not easy, the learning curve is steeper than any game i've ever seen. Honestly some of the time and resource management skills that are required are going to put its younger players WAAAAAY ahead in RL not many games can say that. It also has an older average age than any MMORG out there, but has been diluted alot recently by its success.

Eve has a free 2 week trial as well, but be aware you wont scratch .01% of the game (or gameplay) in that time.

You don't really have the interaction like you do in WoW. Eve has one goal: profit. They're the ferengi of the mmorpg world. It didn't hook me like WoW, there wasn't really any story to it, just here's a space-ship, go make money, and there wasn't as much incentive to really group with people to get things done, which is what makes an mmorpg fun, imo. otherwise, you might as well just play by yourself.

hmm you missed alot... there isnt much you can really accomplish in Eve solo... It is VERY much a teamwork, large scale coordination game. Sure you can toy around in 'safe space' but that is about 10% of the game...

I want an MMORPG where I can pilot a jet/space ship/mech and have my personal skill count for something. The one thing I hate about 'em is that if some fucker who plays the game for 20 hours a day decides to kill me, it doesn't matter how good of a pilot I am in a simulator, I'm just toast because he's got Level 809230123 masturbatory deathray skill.

My ideal one would be something based on the BattleTech universe, where you could be a dropship pilot, jumpship pilot, mech pilot, aerospace fighter pilot, infantryman, etc. Let people pick at the beginning if they want to manually pilot shit, or typical RPG piloting shit where they can control a capital ship or whatever btu don't have to worry about actually controlling anything. Let people who want to manually pilot use the smaller combat craft and actually control them and stuff. People who don't want to fight can be traders or ferry pilots or politicians, whatever.
cavete terrae.

problem there is the sheer number of network transactions that would be required.. Direct Control doesnt work (yet) on that scale. Even military simulations with dedicated bandwidth cant handle the number of check and updates that need to be made to every client for it to work.

Its the reason Ping is the be all end all of Flight Sim and FPS.

Most decent 'real time' games top out at about 50 to 80 players... after that snyc issues make direct controls unmanageable.

Some day… some day. Realistically they could use multiple servers to get around that. Yes, it'd be slightly annoying to have to deal with server handoffs if I leave a certain region or whatever, but I think it could be done.
cavete terrae.

"I got the Free beta test or the LOTRO from a mag and love it but the fact that i still have to pay to play every month . . ."

These games are a banking investment opportunity. Seriously.

For $49 up front and $15 per month, you'll be SAVING literally thousands of dollars every year from not going to movies or jumping, or eating. You'll probably never have to buy a new matress again because you really won't be sleeping ever again.

But wait! There's more!

You'll also learn how to invest money in futures trading and you'll learn international finance from very helpful people in China!

How can you afford NOT to play?

I'd tell you my server and toon's name, but I've probably already said too much. I don't want you lookin' me up and stealing my secret talent build.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

well its more complex than a single client to server.. every client in the same environment has to interact with every other one.. that is ALOT of transactions per second, and when you add global networks...

from a discussion on the topic relating to Eve and why it cant do what FPS do...

here's two issues - client side overload and server side overload.

On the client side you can resolve the problem with simple scaling routines - if combat gets too complex you revert back to simpler models for the ships/weapon systems. Sure, it looks worse off, but I'd rather see an animate 1980's space fleet battle than a stillframe image of a 21st century one.

On the server side, the problem is more complex. Every ship in the system increases the amount of data that needs to be sent to every other ship in the system, while also requiring information about every other ship's whereabouts. It's basically like a round robin pairing. It works for 4 people, it's insane for 4000. If you round robin paired a chess tournament for 4 people you'd need a small room, 4 chairs, and about 4 hours. If you did the same for 4000, you'd need an embassy hotel and about half a year. CCPs got the hotel, but the time factor is what equates to the ridiculous latency.

Quake works because you have a maximum of 64 people on most servers.

Oh, I understand the issues with it, but it can be done eventually. Realistically, you don't need to know what's going on between two battlemechs on mars if you're fighting on earth, and if you do get curious, you don't need an INSTANT response, you know? A couple seconds of lag to get the info from another server isn't going to affect what you're doing.
cavete terrae.

Indeed the cost/per hour for most MMORG is really low if you play at all..

and pay to play is the only way to go in modern gaming, as with any other game the developers are already working on the next project before the box hits the shelves... sure you'll get 2-3 patches but after that there is no incentive to support..

with MMORG/pay to play the developers/publishers pretty much have to continually support bug fixes as well as add content or they lose their player base to another game.

Indeed the cost/per hour for most MMORG is really low if you play at all..

Yeah, I joke about it, but it really is just about the least expensive form of entertainment going on a dollar/hour basis.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Oh, I understand the issues with it, but it can be done eventually. Realistically, you don't need to know what's going on between two battlemechs on mars if you're fighting on earth, and if you do get curious, you don't need an INSTANT response, you know? A couple seconds of lag to get the info from another server isn't going to affect what you're doing.

true.. but Eve is already working up to 500 on 500 fleet battles with all the lag, client lock ups and cluster crashes that go along with it...[:/]

honestly i cant wait for technology to catch up. I played Warbirds for ages but even that got hammered during major events and turned into a slideshow... and a few seconds DO matter in the middle of a furball..