conoro

Ungiving boc

Hi all,

A while ago I decided to hand my Javelin over to Sunpath to get some mods done (my bridle was waving at the cameraman in a sit!).

They did some nice things with the riser tuck flaps and some other stuff, put a (rather large!) bridle cover on, but also replaced my existing BOC with a new one.

I had about 300 jumps on the rig with no problems but since the mods I've had 3 hard pulls (last 100 jumps) including one almost impossible one that I only managed to extract from the jaws of the damn BOC due to excess altitude (took me 1500 ft, pulling at 2500).

Anyone else seen this? I've been told "You're packing it wrong" - thumping the bottom of pack job before packing the PC helps but still - had no problems before this! Is some spandex less stretchy than others? The new stuff is pretty tight and ungiving... I also believe the mouth of the boc is clamping down hard between the PC and the hackey - I have less issues if I can see some material poking out from the BOC.

I'll probably just rip this one off given that I'm scared of it now, just thought I'd ask...

Conor.

PS: I pack my pc long and narrow. If bridle is at left, I fold in half right to left, then in thirds from top/bottom, then in half again right to left. S-fold bridle in, and roll up; bridle exits at top where the hackey sack is. Fills the available length of the boc.

Funnily enough, now that I'm waffling, I pack it differently for IAD students, with the bridle exiting at the bottom.

The main thig is to make sure the apex (handle) and the bridal attachment are as close to the same point as possible.

If you have have the hackey and bridal at different ends, it can and will bunch up at the mouth of the BOC.

TM's don't like it when you forget to do this with the Drogue on the first pack of the year :$ :S:D[:/]

This is probably because your canopy is too large for the tray and you should probably downsize. ;)

Look at a few folding techniques. On my old rig I would fold it so that it would bunch more. On my brand new Javelin I make it long and slim. And while it's very snug and hard to stuff in there, it slides out smoothly.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

If you have have the hackey and bridal at different ends, it can and will bunch up at the mouth of the BOC.

Never had an issue with the student rigs (as far as I know :)) - maybe they have slacker bocs. IAD instructors I knew preferred the bridle to exit at the opposite end to the handle. Probably less likely to vomit bridle all over the plane while you're trying to get a student ready.

This is probably because your canopy is too large for the tray and you should probably downsize.

I did B|! Went from a PD-170 to a Silhouette 150. Um. OK, the 150 doesn't pack that much smaller. I believe the mouth of the boc kinda closes over the small gap between the pc and the hackey effectively causing bunching... Once the pc is beyond the mouth to any extent, it whips right out.

Judy at Skydive city taught me to tamp down the bottom of the pack job before putting in the pc. Does make a big difference. Never had problems when she was packing!

Thanks,

Conor.

Oh sorry - I see what you mean. The bridal attachment beside the hackey. Good point.

And I will try other methods. Someone showed me a rather odd method (no folding as such, just grab hackey and attachment point, long loop the bridle inside and stuff it in). Worked really well if and only if the boc was tight.

There just might be a chance that the "new" BOC is tighter then the old one that was stretched out from use. :)
Have someone, a rigger, look at the BOC and the way you are packing it. It is almost impossible to diagnose the problem over the internet.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Do a search for Brian Germain's PC packing method...

I had a hard pull after using that method and wasn't able to clear it by my hard deck so it ended up being a reserve ride, so I guess no method is completely foolproof [:/]

-Chanti-

Do a search for Brian Germain's PC packing method...

I had a hard pull after using that method and wasn't able to clear it by my hard deck so it ended up being a reserve ride, so I guess no method is completely foolproof [:/]

And whatever system you want to try, please put the rig on a do a few practic pulls.

That being said, I had kind of the same experience as you except that I was able to clear it on the 2nd try. I hadn't done any practice pull, lesson learned.

All your dropzone are belong to us!!!!111!

I have less issues if I can see some material poking out from the BOC.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have BIG issues with F-111 fabric hanging out of BOCs.
In a perfect world, only the handle would be visible.
Exposed pilot chute fabric vastly increases the chances of a pre-mature deployment.

Last week I stopped a junior jumper from boarding an airplane because 1/4 of his pilot chute was hanging out of his BOC and he had only routed his chest strap once through the buckle.