xlh883

Opinion on rig on ebay

I a mclose to my a license and looking for a rig. This auction on Ebay looks like a good fit as I am 5'5" and 180 lbs. But is it worth the $2000? And what do you do to replace the hackey when it is not included? New pilot chute?

[/url]http://cgi.ebay.com/COMPLETE-SKYDIVING-RIG-WITH-CYPRES-Talon-Cruselite_W0QQitemZ120002089864QQihZ002QQcategoryZ106980QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[url/]

Any advice would be appreciated as I do not want to get burned.

Thanks in advance.

David[url]

First of all learn how to link to eBay.

Item number: 120002089864

Talon Container: DOM is 7/88. I am approximately 5'9" and weigh 160 lbs. This rig fits me perfectly, but would also fit someone smaller or larger. The container is blue with light-blue stripes. It includes a new BOC deployment modification, Cypres retrofit, some new velcro and a hook knife. Original owner's manual is included.

18 yo, $100

Cruiselite Main Canopy: Size is 220 square feet. This canopy is perfect for a beginner...large and very stable. It is also great for CRW or accuracy jumps. This canopy has approximately 500 jumps on it and is ready for many more. (hacky handle in photo is not included).

A ragged out main ~$0

Raven II B Reserve Canopy: Size is 220 square feet. This canopy has 2 reserve rides. One was a demonstration performed by the previous owner. The other deployment was due to a lost deployment handle...a beginner's packing error on my part. Canopy is also large and stable and provided a comfortable and safe ride. As I have not jumped this year, the reserve is due to be repacked.

$100

AirTec Cypres: DOM is 7/98. CYPRES is the most commonly used major component in the parachuting world. More than 80,000 units are in actual use and save the lives of more than 80 skydivers each year. Needs new batteries. This is an absolute must-have!!!

Yeah and not just battery, but service too.
$175

So its about $375 worth of crap. Do _NOT_ buy it, do not even bid.

For $2000 you may find a ~10 years old or younger H/C and reserve and <5 years old ZP main with less than 500 jumps. That could be a right deal for you.

How does one properly link to an auction or webpage?

To make a clickable link type {url}www.xyz.com{/url} but replace the {} with []. There is also a button that does it for you below the text box when you are typing your reply.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

While used gear is a viable option (I've bought used gear in the past), as a newbe I would strongly recommend getting your local trusted rigger to work with you on the purchase... ESPECIALLY anything online.

DO NOT buy anything where the sale is not contingent upon your rigger's inspection and favorable report. Often both payment and the rig are sent to the mutually trusted rigger or DZ. Once inspected, the seller and buyer can decide who gets the check and who gets the rig. (Usually the buyer pays for the inspection, but that's up to you and the seller.)

I've had several people come to me with EBay specials that were the quickest way to die.

I've also assisted several people buy rigs from EBay that were worth more than they paid. (Mostly pilots, but good sport stuff too.)

Good hunting,
Jim
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Thank you for your advice.I really appreciate it.

I decided rather than try to hunt down a good used rig, I might be better off buying a new rig. So I did.

This is my life I am putting on the line with unknown gear. Even with a rigger check out, you don't know how long the gear will last.

Since I have the cash, and my weight warrants only one more downsize right now, buying new should be the way to go and a couple of my instructors agreed with me.

So, no used gear, for the msot part any way. I have been watching the internet for a long time and not much has shown up any way. Eventually I would probbaly have to buy new any way wit hthe lack of used selection out there.

David

Thank you for your advice.I really appreciate it.

I decided rather than try to hunt down a good used rig, I might be better off buying a new rig. So I did.

Probably a good option for your first rig (especially if you have the funding.) Its how I bought my first one, and there was no regrets.

However, one lesson I almost learned the hard way with new gear... You picked it out, you custom ordered everything and you bought it from a reputable dealer... and it came in (slightly) wrong... what now? DO NOT ACCEPT IT! For what you are paying, you should get it exacly as you ordered it.

Fortunately I had a good dealer who agreed with me that the center flap was not as I ordered it (and it was hidious besides). He delt with the problem and even left me one of his student rigs while I waited.

My experience was an example of why to work with a good/reputable dealer, not just the one with the lowest price.

Best of luck to you!
Jim
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I´ve bought my first and subsequently current rig on e-bay. both were great buys,though there is always risk buying somthing blind. correspond direct with the seller,get all the info you can. and check the adds on dropzone.com there´s some good buys here (mine for example)
on my new rig I had the hacky changed for little cost by my local rigger, was not expensive. not nec. to change deploy.
When I go, I want to pass away in my sleep, just like my dear old Grandmother, NOT screaming like the passengers in the car she was driving.