PeteW

found injured bird... need help

i found an injured bird, not sure what kind it is . it's about 10-13 cm long and 7 cm Wide. mostly brown with white tummy and black outline on wings if any one can identify it or give me some pointers it would be greatly appreciated

i found an injured bird, not sure what kind it is . it's about 10-13 cm long and 7 cm Wide. mostly brown with white tummy and black outline on wings if any one can identify it or give me some pointers it would be greatly appreciated

Speaking from experience, put it back where you found it and let nature take it's course.

I've tried many times to take in injured birds and I think I just prolonged their death process.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

See if there's a Wildlife Refuge Centre in your area or a bird sanctuary (here, it was through the University of Alberta so check your local University or College - I took a bird there that my cheeky cat caught one day - he survived).

And good luck!

:)
'Shell

You're welcome.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Speaking from experience, put it back where you found it and let nature take it's course.

I've tried many times to take in injured birds and I think I just prolonged their death process.

We have a 24 hour emergency vet service that deals with wildlife for "free" (they get donations from the public).

Anyways, I'm driving down the road and see a bird smack some cars windshield, roll over the car, and land in the middle of the road flailing around in traffic. Car just keeps going. So I stop and pick the poor little guy up, call the vet and tell them I'm underway with an injured animal, and stop my journey to work and head to the vet's office. Afterall, I'm not gonna let some animal get run over because I'm too lazy. I get there and they take the bird in back and give you a little card with an ID number for the animal so you can call and check to see what happened with the animal.

I called later that afternoon, the bird is fine..........this is what the vet tells me, a lot of birds get dazed when they hit something.....so they're just there trying to recuperate and if neglected.....splat. So hadn't I picked the little bird up, he would've probably been run over. So your best bet is actually taking the animal to the vet and let them do their job.
...and you're in violation of your face!

Keep it in a box, in the dark, in a quiet place until you can find a vet or rehabilitator who will take custody. You may be able to find a rehabber by googling in your area, but a vet--particularly one who handles exotic pets--will know. Or you can call whatever governmental entity deals with migratory birds/non-game wildlife in Canada. In the US, it's US Fish and Wildlife Service or individual states' non-game divisions, and there will be a similar entity in your country. They license the rehabilitators, and they should be able to tell you who works in your area.

It's almost impossible to diagnose your bird from a distance. (It looks sparrowish, btw, but I can't really tell with the face and beak turned away.) With young birds, it's relatively easy: feed them the proper food mixture, and they either live or die in the same relative proportions as in nature--i.e., they have about a 25% survival rate.

Adult birds are much harder, because it could be poison, it could be impact, it could be disease or parasites, or something else altogether, and only a professional can say for sure. Adults are easily stressed, and that will sometimes kill them faster than the underlying problem.

If you do decide to try to treat this bird yourself, never give fluids from an eyedropper. Rescued birds that might have lived often die from induced pneumonia because well-meaning people insist on giving them water or milk from an eyedropper, and it goes straight into their lungs.

Good luck.
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Anyways, I'm driving down the road and see a bird smack some cars windshield, roll over the car, and land in the middle of the road flailing around in traffic. Car just keeps going. So I stop and pick the poor little guy up, call the vet and tell them I'm underway with an injured animal, and stop my journey to work and head to the vet's office. Afterall, I'm not gonna let some animal get run over because I'm too lazy.

Don't do that with a dog or you might end up with a face like mine.

Hey thanks for all the advise guys. It was actually my gf that found the bird and posted this. I was gonna take it to the vet today as suggested by most of you. But the little guy didnt make the night. Connie doesnt know yet, she is such an animal lover its gonna break her heart. Thanks again

In my experience, I actually hastened injured birds' deaths, just by picking them up and cradling them. They just got scared to death. [:/] We had a nest of baby sparrows up in a corner of the patio roof eave and they fell out. Our cats just happened to be outside and I look out the door to see one of them hanging on the screen door and two more on the patio floor being batted around by our cats. My wife and I rushed out to save them. Had no obvious injuries, but shock took over and they died in our hands. Oh well... A small box with a piece of cardboard to tip them into might help into not scaring them so much, I dunno.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Anyways, I'm driving down the road and see a bird smack some cars windshield, roll over the car, and land in the middle of the road flailing around in traffic. Car just keeps going. So I stop and pick the poor little guy up, call the vet and tell them I'm underway with an injured animal, and stop my journey to work and head to the vet's office. Afterall, I'm not gonna let some animal get run over because I'm too lazy.

Don't do that with a dog or you might end up with a face like mine.

Yeah....dogs are different than a small bird. Most of the dog books I've read said to muzzle an injured dog before attempting to transport it. You never know how an injured animal is going to respond.
...and you're in violation of your face!

You're welcome.

Probably enough S&B in that box for about 6 little birds......I suggest finding the nest and then plan a feast!:D:D:D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"