ntrprnr

18 miler today. Cursing the very fabric of my DNA

No way am I breaking 4 hours in November. I don't know what the hell has happened to me between last year and now, but I just don't got it.

Perhaps I never had it, and I dreamed last year?

18.4 today in 2:59. That's ugly. That's about a 4:20 marathon. I can probably get it a bit lower, I'm predicting around a 4:10 this year.

Sigh. Turn 35, and your body just goes to shit. So sad...

Ice bath time.

From where I'm sitting, just being able to run a marathon (or 18.4 miles for hat matter) is a huge acomplishment and a testament to your will to run. Some of us just were not built to run fast, a realization that hit me after watching the Kenyan's go by me in the opposite direction during my first half. Remember why you run and enjoy it, don't get down on yourself for not being as fast as you want to be. (jeez, listen to me... one half marathon and i'm giving YOU advise... Sorry) :S I just turned 41 and am just now discovering the joy of running. Have you forgotten?

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

I hate you for being right, Sarldo.

But you're right. I know. It's just depressing. I was faster last year.

Maybe it's time to join the bikers here on DZ.com. Get few centuries under my belt. Broke? Ready?

Peter, You're still a hottie, you have transformed your body completely in last few years. From someone in the effort of trying to do it too (by my own standard) I know how difficult that is...
Many of us admire and respect you so very much for that. 4:10 would be respectful and you never know, you may actually just do better on the day.

Thank God I don't run anymore. I was a long distance runner from my pre-teen years up until about age 23, going through countless 10K races (best time 37:36) and two marathons, including a 3:29:12 in the last one. I developed a really really bad case of achilles heel tendinitis in both feet that took a year for the pain to go away once I stopped running. Two years later I started skydiving and haven't looked back.

But to those that are able to run at later ages, all my best. Just pace yourself and allow plenty of recovery time. Mix in some other exercise, like swimming or cycling and you won't feel so beat up as if you stuck to running only.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban