ACMESkydiver

Dropzone.com HEALTH/WEIGHTLOSS Challenge! Awright! Woo-hoo!

OK, so just a small update. Yesterday I did 300 situps, 150 pushups, and and 200 side crunches per side. I'm feeling it today, which is what I was really aiming for. If I feel it the next day, then I've worked out the way I'm supposed to. Going to do a short 2 mile run this afternoon or tomorrow evening.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

If I feel it the next day, then I've worked out the way I'm supposed to.

That's what I say for myself...:ph34r:

I have to watch it that I don't do so much that I take myself out of commission for a day or two after though, too. I kinda have a tendency to do that. :$
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Yeah, that is definitely not the best way to do it. You're way better off cutting back on the intensity and keeping the same gradually increasing pace every day.

(Not that this is you, but) People often will join a gym or start a routine, and then try to hurry up and make up for a long period of not working out, and they overdo it and strain themselves. They become discouraged, and end up going in and out of these phases continually. I see it all the time.
Roll Tide Roll

Yeah, I have the same tendency. When I first started really working out a number of years ago, shortly after starting college, I couldn't run half a mile without being winded. So what did I do? The last thing anyone should do, I ran every single day for almost a month. At 3 weeks, I caused myself a minor injury, lost a few days of usefulness, and was right back at it the following week, running twice as hard.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

I work in a gym, and it's such a "people study" place in so many different ways. So many people take advantage of the two-year contract rates after the New Year holiday, and you see them for about six weeks. I hear time after time in the interview for setting up their programs that they're joining the gym, going on a diet, and stopping smoking. Each of those is a difficult committment in itself (especially the smoking cessation) so start with one.

The gradually increased routine will enhance the drive to allow more committed focus on the other two.

I didn't mean to get off topic, but what I'm saying is that if you push yourself too hard, then it becomes more like "work" than "recreation," and the feel-good chemical release you're supposed to get after working out are more along the lines of stress instead.
Roll Tide Roll

Yeah, my initial routine was really unhealthy, but after a couple years of working out seriously, I really started to learn many things about how to work out properly, safely, and I've recently thought about getting my personal trainer certification. Though right now, I'm really focused on getting into the Coast Guard, which means the trainer cert will have to wait just a little bit.

I'm down a total of 44 pounds, to 201. I started losing weight in Feb, I believe.

I know I can get down to 190, and I think that will be low enough, which is pretty normal for a 6'2" guy. Never again will I be so fat, never.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

One thing you have to be careful of is textbook height/weight ratio and "target" weight goals. For example, my body fat analysis shows that I am obese because I am 6' 220#. Body fat analysis was developed a long time ago and doesn't take into account muscle vs. fat mass. It also doesn't calculate the fact that I can incline press 120# dumbbells in each hand on a good day.

At 6'2" your getting to 190# is really lean, but not out of the question. Just stop drinking, and sugar & salt are a thing of the past...especially if you're approaching or over 30.

Being proportional is the key. We all have to work with what we have, and emphasis on certain parts of our anatomy can make all the difference in our appearance.

One thing I myself have to keep in mind is the fact the more weight I gain, the more I am hanging under my canopy (Sabre2 210).
No matter how healthy I am, my body is not going to take a miscalculated swoop like some 150# twink. (I don't swoop on purpose, though, but my canopy seems really fast under light- or no-wind conditions).
Roll Tide Roll

At 6'2" your getting to 190# is really lean, but not out of the question. Just stop drinking, and sugar & salt are a thing of the past...especially if you're approaching or over 30.

I'm 44 years old, and even though I'm very happy at getting down to 201 pounds, I know there is still plenty of excess fat. 190 will be good.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

One thing you have to be careful of is textbook height/weight ratio and "target" weight goals. For example, my body fat analysis shows that I am obese because I am 6' 220#. Body fat analysis was developed a long time ago and doesn't take into account muscle vs. fat mass...

Sorry - I should have said "Body Mass Index" instead of "body fat analysis."
Roll Tide Roll