Acoisa

Chosing Rig Colors

I'm gonna order a new rig tomorrow! The thing is, I have no idea what colors to choose.. I've been thinking about it for two weeks now and it's just like chosing the colors for a new couch- impossible..... I have absolutely no Idea what I want it to look like...

Btw It's gonna be an Icon Sport....
Any suggestions? I need all the help I can get..

According to Action Air (SkyDance), bright colors fade quicker (ie. orange, yellow, neons), but because my rig is red and blue, I wouldn't know if that's true. :|

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

The following is my opinion only... YMMV.

1. I know it's hard to now... but think RE-SALE value. Outlandish color schemes are cool and all :S but you'll likely want to sell the rig at some point in the future...

2. Don't try to use more than 3 colors on a rig... very seldom does it look better than what you could of done with 2 or 3; the KISS rule applies ...refer to #1 above.

3. Options: all the bells and whistles are cool and fun, but really... come on... is it worth the fundage at our level of experience? Wouldn't the fundage for the fully articulated harness, all stainless, tye-dye, and foam spacer padding be better spent on actually skydives?
Nice... but not necessay. I would however get a padded backpad if I were you, but then again I typically live in a 206.

4. Personally, I'd suggest the Large 3 ring for your container. If you get into swapping canopies around (demo, downsizing, CRW, Mr.Bill, ...) it makes it much easier if you have the large base on your container... mini-risers will fit a full size base ring, but not the other way around. (...and I'm sure someone will chime in shortly to let us know what the actual names are for the ring sizes).

5. I'd also personally recommend the B12 snaps for the leg straps. I have these on my rig and LOVE em! No more twisting and contorting... no more muscle cramps... no more fumbling and falling. I also have the benefit of being able to tack down the straps so I no longer have to constantly adjust em...

6. The only other thingy I could mention is your chest strap. I prefer the wide one (and I'm sure whomever chims in with the correct terminology for the 3 ring sizes will add to this as well) instead of the narrow one. If you happen to use a chest mount altimeter (for our RW friends and tracking) it will tend to stay put better... I sent my rig back to the factory to have the chest strap replaced for the wide one (and it didn't cost me a dime except shipping to them, they replaced it for free, covered the return shipping, and got my rig back to me in
Good luck on your rig! I'm sure you'll enjoy the hell out of it. Just don't forget to send pics!!!

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

I'm gonna order a new rig tomorrow! The thing is, I have no idea what colors to choose.. I've been thinking about it for two weeks now and it's just like chosing the colors for a new couch- impossible..... I have absolutely no Idea what I want it to look like...

All black....takes the guess work out of it....:ph34r:

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

All black....takes the guess work out of it....:ph34r:

1st rig? new jumper? buy used and dont worry about the colors.. once you have settled into a wingloading get one you will keep for years with the colors you like.....

if you MUST have new gear.. all black is the way to go... or all dark at least.. so stains wont show so much and it will have the widest possible audience for resale... if you jump regularly think about how soon you will downsize and how long that new rig will be viable for you..

or better yet... get a used one ;)