RkyMtnHigh

Weight Loss & Sleep

Yep, it's true. I started sleeping well in 2000-2001, and lost almost 40 pounds in 4 months. I was still eating the same as before, and there wasn't any obvious reason for the weight loss except for sleep.

...then my daughter was born and my sleep went out the window.

- David

Interestingly enough, my experience is just the opposite.

Being a truck driver, exercise is very hard to get. We sit in one position for an entire day, sleep, and do it again the next day.

I put myself on a simple diet, which helped, but honestly, being a driver I'm up more hours a week, by far, than the "average" person. I typically drive for 11 hrs, sleep 6 or 7, drive 11, sleep 6 or 7, repeat for a month at a time. This means I start out sleeping at night, but each day go to sleep a few hours earlier than the previous. By the end of the month, I've been awake, sometimes, over a day or 2 more than the typical up during the day, sleeping at night person.

Does a human body not burn more calories while awake and active than when resting?

Well, it worked. Minus 45 pounds and holding.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Actually while you sleep is when the body repairs itself. Your base metabolism sill runs, but you aren't injesting calories

Actually, the great majority of people are digesting, and thus absorbing, calories while they sleep. Solution? Eat a bigger breakfast, and dinner VERY early. Most won't/can't and thus gain weight while they sleep. [:/]
It's your life, live it!

True
On a daily basis we should eat the bulk of our calories durring Breakfast and Lunch, and have a smallish dinner.

I think we need to start aving two hour lunch breaks
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

True
On a daily basis we should eat the bulk of our calories durring Breakfast and Lunch, and have a smallish dinner.

I think we need to start aving two hour lunch breaks

Heck, I stop and eat whenever i feel like it, for as long as I want. Downside, I need to drive longer to make up for it. That's why I usually eat while I drive. Ate dinner a quite a few hours ago. I know it's hard to do, but to burn calories when sleeping, go to bed hungry. It's harder to get to sleep, but when you wake up, hooooo boy, it's time to EAT!
It's your life, live it!

Or when you wake up excersize before eating anything that way you body only has stored fuel to burn

Actually, any morning exercise is good, before or after eating (though it is alot harder to exercise with a full belly). Reason? The food you just ate isn't digested, so the body must produce energy from stores for fuel. This uses the stores, and the body replaces them as digestion continues. For this reason, if you do exercise in the a.m. eating a high protien breakfast is a very good idea. You need carbs, but keep 'em on the low side.

Damn, where did I get the knowledge, and just why am I still driving a truck? :S
It's your life, live it!

YOu must be very strange to still be driving a truck

Actually, I just thought about that and remembered why...

Where else can I see the country, visit many DZ's, make 50-90 G's a year (depending on how hard I want to work) and NEVER have a boss looking over my shoulder.

Yea, I remember why I do it now. B|
It's your life, live it!

Or when you wake up excersize before eating anything that way you body only has stored fuel to burn

No way I can do that - I will bonk halfway through the workout. My morning workout routine is a cup of yogurt before I leave the house and a big mug of coffee on the bus on the way. The yogurt is just enough food to get me through the workout but not enough to slow me down, and by the time I finish the workout, get ready and get to work I'm super-hungry but I still have plenty of energy. Then I'll fix the rest of my breakfast (some hard-boiled eggs, or a bowl of oatmeal). :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke