NtheSeaOrSky

DHCP IP range

sure confuse my ass more

yes i am posting from said computer

the 172 is coming from the dos prompt info

are you just screwing with my head??:D

Try going here: http://whatismyip.com/.

I bet you see something completely different then what you see when you ipconfig. :)

I have a feeling I am going to regret this.....

why?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

You have discovered that both ends are using the same subnet. One has to change. Getting a router might not solve the problem. Your 172 is not a public IP, it's your internal or LAN IP. If you get a router, you might just have a double NAT.

Are you connecting via DSL or Cable? I would guess that the DSL or cable box is handing out the 172 address. If you change the address range the DHCP on the cable or DSL is handing out, you will have a functioning VPN. Post the brand and model of the box that is plugged into the telephone or coax and someone might be able to give you directions on changing your internal IP range.

J
Arch? I can arch just fine with my back to the ground.

It is broadband. I have a satellite on the house with a cable (pretty neat looking with all kinds of stripey colors on the inside) that joins in the house with a power source with about a one inch box that says : Warning damage may result from improper connections with an arrow that says computer and an arrow that says radio. That is what plugs into the hub or back of computer.
Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

You have discovered that both ends are using the same subnet.

You can't make that conclusion without knowing his netmask.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The fix would be to purchase and install a broadband router. Linksys and Netgear make good broadband routers for home. Their default addresses are something like 192.168.1.1 - 254

Makes sense. That'd probably be a lot easier then dealing with either side. With the added benefit of getting a wireless network at the same time (if you buy the wireless kind of router).

Also not going to solve the problem if there is some routing issue between his cable/dsl at home and the hospital.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Also not going to solve the problem if there is some routing issue between his cable/dsl at home and the hospital.

I think, (and I may be way off base here) that the problem is basically with the VPN software thinking that there could be a computer on the other side of the VPN with the same IP address as his computer has....and this causes problems for everyone. By changing the IP range of the computer, it is outside the possibilities of IP addresses on the other side.

Once the VPN software packages up the info to send over the internet, it shouldn't matter how it is routed.

**my uneducated opinion, I may be wrong.

Her IP is in the 70.X range. This means that you either have some sort of routing device on your side your ISP is really cheap and is running everything like a intranet and assigned you a private IP so they could have more subscribers with out needing more IP's. The choices are to change the router schema if you have one or else you are kinda up a creak since the ISP is all knids of messed up.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Her IP is in the 70.X range. This means that you either have some sort of routing device on your side your ISP is really cheap and is running everything like a intranet and assigned you a private IP so they could have more subscribers with out needing more IP's. The choices are to change the router schema if you have one or else you are kinda up a creak since the ISP is all knids of messed up.

so if I read that right, I've done all I can do, now go have a beer? :)

I think davedg is likely on the right track; Overlapping private IP space on both ends of the VPN tunnel. Are you sure that 70.x IP is hers, or the NAT'd IP coming out of the head end of the tunnel?

Anyway, I'm outta here. I do this all day for a living, and dropzone.com just doesn't pay me enough to try to do this remotely with no access to the gear.

I think davedg is likely on the right track; Overlapping private IP space on both ends of the VPN tunnel. Are you sure that 70.x IP is hers, or the NAT'd IP coming out of the head end of the tunnel?

Anyway, I'm outta here. I do this all day for a living, and dropzone.com just doesn't pay me enough to try to do this remotely with no access to the gear.

thanks for trying to help :)

I am NOT a network guru by any stretch of the imagination.

but one thing that you might try (and the experts can correct me on this)...
When you have two networks trying to connect on the same IP addy you should try changing the metric on one of them.
You do that by going to Network Connections.
Double click on the connection in question (You may only have one network connection, but some of us have several)
Click Properties.
Click the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Click Properties
Click Advanced
Under the IP Settings tab there is a box to enter Interface Metric.
Bump up that number to something larger than what it is.
Try connecting again.

I, at times, have 3 networks connected to my system and can connect to all at the same time. The 3 systems are a wireless router (Belkin), the ISP and a local network that uses a NetGear, Hawking or other hub. Most of the time I connect the ISP uplink to the Belkin router (to share the internet access with the other computers). What I don't understand is that shared drives are seen on the hard wire network, but not always on the wireless network. Sometimes I can see them, sometimes not.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I'm guessing the 70.X is coming out the head of the NAT tunnel since its a road runner IP.

Is your ISP Roadrunner? If not it sounds like you've got an ISP that has leased bandwidth off roadrunner and has you screwed now.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm guessing the 70.X is coming out the head of the NAT tunnel since its a road runner IP.

Is your ISP Roadrunner? If not it sounds like you've got an ISP that has leased bandwidth off roadrunner and has you screwed now.

I pay www.velocitybroadband.us my money. God only knows what they are doing....really[:/] but I have limited options since I am in a very VERY remote location. I couldn't get signal with their antenna set up they normally use, but since I am on a hill, I had a direct line of sight to the 'main tower' 20 miles away, thus the satellite receiver. Thats what they told me anyway, I just don't know enough to know what is BS and what is the truth.

I still think using a router for NAT would help...anything to keep the IP of the computer itself off the IP it is on now. All you'd have to do is plug it in in place of the hub and make sure the IP gets changed to 192.168.something. A router shouldnt cost any more then $30 or so.

The ISP people assigned a static IP, it is still a 172 number, but he changed the subnet mask to something different. Voila! it works great (today anyway).

It always amazes me changing a bunch of numbers around goes from 'yikes I dont understand what you are telling me to do' to a correctly functioning machine. :S

My hats off to you all who know what you are doing!!