NtheSeaOrSky

DHCP IP range

apparently I have to change this....but how?

I have been on tech support loop hell all day to find out my IP addy and the IP addy my VPN is trying to connect to are too close thus not working and the guy says 'change your range of IP addresses and that will fix it, have a nice day.

:|

I called the internet provider to see what the heck to do because the cmd ipconfig release and renew still gives the same cursed addy - and their tech support for 9am to 9pm is an answering machine

why has everything got to be so damn difficult??
Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

i dont have a router i do have a hub a linksys, but funny thing all the download instructions of the linksys site are not available :S so i unplugged my connection from hub and plugged straight into the computer....no dice, same IP addyB|

btw unplugging and plugging your computer or a different computer into your router isn't going to help at all. Neither is using ipconfig to refresh or renew your ipaddress. You will need to get into your router settings and change the ipaddresses that it assigns. Good luck. I would give you my number and I could walk you through it, but I am at work right now and don't have that much time.

Ok what is the IP address you are trying to change? If it begins with 192.168 or 10.0, you can change it yourself. Otherwise, it is probably an IP address with your ISP, then you are going to need to talk to them, and changing it will be difficult at best.

btw unplugging and plugging your computer or a different computer into your router isn't going to help at all. Neither is using ipconfig to refresh or renew your ipaddress.

:D:D you don't say? :D:D

the internet provider called and wanted a detailed explanation of WHY i wanted things changed before they will begin to look into 'if they can change it or not' :S

Ok what is the IP address you are trying to change? If it begins with 192.168 or 10.0, you can change it yourself. Otherwise, it is probably an IP address with your ISP, then you are going to need to talk to them, and changing it will be difficult at best.

mine starts with a 172. which coincidentally so does the location I am trying to connect through the VPN to ..which apparently clusterfuck confuses the equipment somewhere along the way. The internet provider says mine is NOT a static IP and it changes every 24 hours. Don't know if that means anything important.

mine starts with a 172. which coincidentally so does the location I am trying to connect through the VPN to ..which apparently clusterfuck confuses the equipment somewhere along the way. The internet provider says mine is NOT a static IP and it changes every 24 hours. Don't know if that means anything important.

Not static means it can change every 24 hours, not it will change every 24 hours. I have had the same ip address from an ISP for months on end.

edited, I was wrong. Sorry bout' that.

I can tell you that you are very wrong and that those two numbers that you say are unrelated are related and will cause a routing problem.

Not only that but by your choice of numbers you either show that you are not thinking about what you are writing or you don't know anything about networking.

an octet can never be 456

456 was an example...not a real octet.

I'm definatly not a networking professional. I've never done VPN work either.

Do you think he has any chance of getting his IP address changed from the ISP? I think that kind of problem would be better worked out from the VPN side. Espically if it is the uppermost level of the IP address that needs changed...that's all I'm saying.

The ISP claims they rerouted some stuff at the tower this weekend and thus my sudden issue with it.

I cant change the VPN side, it is a hospital being accessed by all over the country. I will have to switch ISPs if it comes to it (which they do not want apparently).

thanks to you both for trying to help

mondays suck B|

You need to be more specific. 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255 is private space just as 10. and 192.168.. The netmask may be wrong. What is your second octet?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

You need to be more specific. 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255 is private space just as 10. and 192.168.. The netmask may be wrong. What is your second octet?

:D:D if by octet you mean the second group of numbers ...mine is 19 and the location i am trying to connect to is 21

if that isnt what you are asking you may have to explain what an octet is....to me it is musical :$

The fix would be to purchase and install a broadband router. Linksys and Netgear make good broadband routers for home. Their default addresses are something like 192.168.1.1 - 254

Makes sense. That'd probably be a lot easier then dealing with either side. With the added benefit of getting a wireless network at the same time (if you buy the wireless kind of router).

:D:D if by octet you mean the second group of numbers ...mine is 19 and the location i am trying to connect to is 21

if that isnt what you are asking you may have to explain what an octet is....to me it is musical :$

RFC1918 defines three ranges of IP's that are not usable on the internet: 10.0.0.0/8 172.16.0.0/12 192.168.0.0/16. If you are trying to go from 172.19.*.* to 172.21.*.*, then your source and destination must both internal to your ISP.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

if by octet you mean the second group of numbers ...mine is 19 and the location i am trying to connect to is 21

172.19 and 172.21 are both (I have just learned thanks to Ryoder), Private IP addresses. That makes more sense to me now. Do what Beowulf said and get yourself a router.

sure confuse my ass more

yes i am posting from said computer

the 172 is coming from the dos prompt info

are you just screwing with my head??:D

Try going here: http://whatismyip.com/.

I bet you see something completely different then what you see when you ipconfig. :)

I have a feeling I am going to regret this.....

why?

The range of IP addresses you're talking about are not "real" IP addresses that are used on the internet. They are used for internal use within smaller networks. You dont have a "real" IP address, as far as the internet is concerned. Your ISP has a single IP address that is used over the internet, however this address may be shared among a number of users. By installing another router, you can create your own internal network and define your IP address to be whatever you want it to be.

Edited to add: The problem is, (and what I just now understood), your ISP runs their internet service more like an intranet that you would find in an office or home network. They use the same block of addresses that are on the other side of the VPN, this is the source of your issues. You've got two solutions: get your ISP to change your ip address range, or buy a router and have control of it yourself.