vortexr1

2 of last 3 jumps RESERVE RIDES.

I had 2 cutaways in 3 jumps as well. Not on the same canopy...

First cutaway was my 2nd wing suit jump on a borrowed Sabre2 135. Lazy pull caused line twists up the wazoo.

Second cutaway was 2 days later. Fun camera jump and had a tension knot on my Stiletto 135. See here

Honestly, the first one really freaked me out. I've had 5 cutaways prior to this, but this one really messed me up. The 2nd cutaway was pretty routine and I actually felt better after that one.

Not really much advise to give. You did the right thing in both cases. Sounds like your 2nd one was somewhat like mine!!!

Was that in the begining of Jan. at the holiday boogie?
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I think the biggest problem with lazy pulls on wingsuits are when you've slowed down but then do not close your wings enough, that gives the pilotchute and bag time to move around in the burble thereby likely creating linetwists. If you have enough forward speed, the pilotchute will not get stuck, but sometimes the legwing is open when people (beginners) slow down because as they bend their legs the legs seem to open automatically for some ("box") and there you have your burble.

Either don't slow down at all or slow down and keep your wings closed, shouldn't have much problem either way.

I can't say I've ever seen or heard about a spinning problem during pull because someone flies their opening with asymmetrical wings! Because we teach a symmetrical pull, even open wings are usually quite symmetrical in my experience. If someone does have a problem with that, it needs to be fixed!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

2. Riser covers releasing at different times again starting the spin.

I'm thinking we're seeing more of this now that a lot of rigs have very tight riser covers (very freefly proof), most with secondary risercovers too. I know I've had my Icon release one riser much earlier than the other at least 3 times, got some video somewhere of the last time that happened, luckily all with a Pilot so didn't need to chop anything but these sure were wacky (almost 90o sideways) openings. Now I don't use the secondaries anymore, problem seems to have gone away. It's not for nothing a lot of CRW jumpers jump with their riser covers undone - even if in some cases they COULD be done up with all the extra stuff on the risers ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

You know what's awesome though is now you know that you will have no probems executing your emergency procedures. I don't want a cutaway to happen but it would be nice to actually know that I can do what I need to do when the time comes. So you are defintely way ahead of the power curve when it comes to EP's.

I texted Alex about your video...no word back yet...

I would have chopped yours with in 5 seconds you were not ever getting control of that.

Yeah, but firstly, I just noticed the line twists. I've had them this bad before and was pretty sure that because I had pulled high, I could kicked out of them. After that cleared, I was still spinning, so I released the brakes thinking that maybe I had a brake fire. Once I did that, I finally noticed the tension knot mid way up the lines. I knew then that I would have to cutaway.

Not cutaways, but broken steering lines on back-to-back jumps.

First time I was chanting emergency procedures until the hard deck, then landed with my heart racing with anxiety... :o

Next jump I was chanting every swear word at the rig and the rigger who didn't change both break-lines when he fixed the first one...>:(

Get with a rigger to review the gear and your packing, then go get back in the saddle!! :)
JW

Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Yeah, I've had back to back Tandem rides..... just a co-inky-dink.

Me too...inky-dink or not, I had a 'sit down' with the packer! ;)

My 2nd of the back to backs, also had another TI on THAT load chopping, all 3 that morning were the same types...high up tension knots.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~