windcatcher

Anyone know a little somethin' 'bout publishing a book?

God I've been in Arkansas too long. :|

ANYWAY, I am actually thinking about publishing a children's book, complete with illustrations done by my most artistic and talented little sister. Can anyone give me advice about presenting it to a publisher? I know I could just google some info, but I would really like to talk to some people about their experiences. :)

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

I work for a book publisher in Texas... But, I know nothing about publishing a book. B| I'm the accountant, so I have no clue what the "consultants" do. PM me if you want the number and/or website to where I work. Good luck!!

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Self published? Or do you want a company to pick it up? Theres alot of work for both. Do some google searches for the process for both. Personally Id not go the self published way unless you just want to become published, its alot harder and less likely to make you an author.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

I'm not sure what your intent is (make a few books for the family/friends or start a business by selling this book)but I can tell you that the book business is full of pitfalls for unwary writers trying to get their book published. It's called Vanity publishing and its kind of like the skyride of the book business. They make it all sound very easy and have very convincing websites. They prey on people wanting to get published and their ignorance of the business, on the internet,especially the childrens book crowd.

Since I don't know what your intent is all I can say is do A LOT of research before you decide to walk down a specific path with any company.Know what you are getting into BEFORE you give anyone any money or agree to any terms be it with a printer or publisher.

A good place to start to learn is here. I am not recommending you use their services,only that you start educating yourself on how convoluted this task is. If you want to sell your work to a publisher and collect royalty checks then do the research on that as there are many companies that "say" they will buy your work but there is always a catch. A simple word of advice, the legitimate companies don't solicit for materials. The other part most people don't realize is that you have to sell a lot of books in order to collect a royalty check worthy of taking to the bank to cash (depending on the terms of agreement).

A known skydiver and publisher you may have heard of, Dan Poynter, has a very helpful book here and I do recommend you stop by your local B&N and check a copy out to get an idea of what you are wanting to get into and then decide if you want to continue with the the idea of publishing a book.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Do you want to self publish? I worked with people who self published for a few years and watched as many of them lost there butts on the money side.. there are many pitfalls to watch for.
Self publishing is not cheap (usally) and stuff like 4 color process, nice paper, and binding can add up quick in cost.
Do you still have my # from that hot date we never had? call me or write me on the "haze" and I will help you where I can.. is chad taking good care of my kids?
www.greenboxphotography.com