JohnRich

Dry Ice for Camping

Are you gonna be self sufficient for the full month? Or will you take in some supplies along the way?

Before we leave we'll mail resupply packages to ourselves at places that are near the trail. Figure we won't have to carry more than a week's worth of food at any time.

Long trip!

It's gonna be epic. B|

But of course. And also tables and chairs. You can easily put hundreds of pounds of stuff in a canoe. With that capability, why rough it?

Attached: typical camp scenes.

eh, looks pretty rough compared to our typical camp scenes. Rafts can carry thousands of pounds ;)

The change of clothes for a 1 week backpacking trip was more of a incase it rains and what you have on gets wet and you then can put something dry on while the wet stuff dries out kinda thing... :P

Anyway... you're going for a month long backpacking trip. That's cool. I wanted to do that back in the day, but never got around to it. Now a days... I like my beer, couch, remote and T.V. too much at the end of the day... :S:P:):D

You're not going to carry a month's worth of food are you? Folks I knew that did the Appilachian Trail had family or friends mail them stuff c/o "General Delivery" at certain towns / post offices along the way at designated times is the way I recall it done... of coure if you're in the Congo or some place like that... no worky... then you need sherpas or pack animals... both of which you can eat if the real food runs out... :ph34r:

looks pretty rough compared to our typical camp scenes. Rafts can carry thousands of pounds ;)

Great photo!

Yeah, they carry a lot, but they also carry a lot of people. So the weight per-person ratio may not be any greater than a canoe. My 15'8" canoe is said to hold 1,100 lbs. I'll have only about 150 lbs. of gear in it, and about 40 lbs. of that is water (5-gallon jug). With my big 220-lb. butt, that makes a total weight of about 370 lbs. or so. I end up with plenty of freeboard to keep the water from rushing up over the sides, and a shallow draft for skimming over subsurface rocks.

Photos:
1) Me with my loaded canoe.
2) My little summer tent with mesh sides, to allow the breeze to blow through to keep me cool, and to allow me to stare at the stars, but keep the skeeters out.

The change of clothes for a 1 week backpacking trip was more of a incase it rains and what you have on gets wet and you then can put something dry on while the wet stuff dries out kinda thing... :P

Yes. I figure that I'm going to be dirty, sweaty and stinky all day while hiking anyway, so just go ahead and put the same dirty, stinky, sweaty clothes on that I wore yesterday. Then I like a clean set for sitting around camp and sleeping after an evening bath in whatever water may be available. So you can get by with just two sets. Then a third set is handy for emergencies like rain or cold. And that allows you to wash out the first set every once in a while to refresh them.

John
Digging teh updates.. I jus dream about floating like that.. i did some back in the scout's and will again someday.

My wife and I go camping and rock climbing now, we are very basic even though we could be classed into "car campers" as we camp where we park.
But once "in camp" we are very basic and don't bring any cold foods, we eat alot of mt house brand camp meals that just take water, we do two pots and one small fuel stove.
Two cups, one of wich doubles as a measuering cup as well do a few nalgene bottels.. but we have sporks and a knife, one very small camp table, cutting board and a towel, sponge and we are set with a very small spice rack.
We also have invested in alot of the ultralight camping gear and clothing.
When i was in scouts it was what ever was cheapest, I can see the diffrence in the good gear thats for sure.
Anyway, looks great and keep it up!

Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com