karenmeal

Dogs..

My dog is one funny guy.

Everytime he goes outside and comes back in when called, he gets a treat. Reinforcing good behavior and all of that. Well, he completely manipulates me for treats, pretends he has to go out, he'll walk down the steps of the house, sniff the air, come back in when I call his name and then run to where the treats are. When I call him out on it and slap his butt (playfully) and say, "You didn't have to pee, you just wanted a treat!" He puts his tail between his legs, laughs (I swear- he can laugh), and runs in a circle - then demands the treat anyways.

Dogs are good people.

Now he is back whining at the door wanting to earn another treat!

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

He's GOOD! :D

My little one knows that when she rides in the car with me, she is not supposed to sit in my lap as I drive. So, she will sit in the passenger set, looking out the window and acting like she has NO IDEA what's going on--she's minding her own business and behaving. But then, a couple of seconds later, she'll inch backwards; not much, just enough to get closer. Pretty soon, she's sitting on the emergency brake. Then, her hind quarters are nudging up onto my lap. The whole time, she maintains her innocence by staring out the window (or anywhere but me). Yeah, like I can't figure THIS one out. Once in a while, it even works. :$

TPM Sister #102

We had this Border Collie named Tippy. (Named before the accident).

Tippy liked to chase farm trucks behind our house. Tippy failed to notice the trailer one day and got run over. They amputated her right front leg.

Tippy would love to ride in the Suburban with head out window. Her head would follow opposing vehicles as they went by on the farm road.

Every time - if it was a car, just watched it go by like a tennis match. If it was a pickup, she would bark at it..... Every time.

I used to date a girl who had a great dane. The dog wasn't allowed on the bed for obvious reasons, but occasionally on a lazy sunday morning, Maggie (the dane) would "sneak" up on the bed and we'd let it slide. Now watching a dog her size "sneak" around was quite comical. Her thought process went something like ths:

"Damn that bed looks comfortable. Lets see. Right paw on hte bed. Hold it. Okay, they didn't notice. Left paw on the bed. Holy Shit, they didn't notice that one either. Now inch forward ever so carefully [the bed shakes]. Ok, rear paws on the bed. [bed shakes worse]. Good now let me get in between them..."

This usually ended the same way. Maggie would get in between us, and after about 5 minutes, she'd stretch out her legs and push us apart. Because of the weight difference, I'd stay put while Maggie's owner would find herself on the floor.

Gotta love big dogs that think they're so smooth. B|

mine the same trick.. :D

also, when i'm in bed before the girls, the dog comes and takes the place of the other girl in bed. wont move, starts growling on approach.. :P now, how cute is that from a doberman-rottweiler? :D:D:D

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

My dog does something pretty similar.

He'll crawl into bed between my boyfriend and I (if there is no room between us he lays on top of me). Then he'll gaze lovingly into my boyfriend's eyes, put his feet on his chest, and then push me out of the bed!

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

All you proud dog owners need to remember something.

When I had a dog, it was family.

I don't have a dog on purpose now for several reasons.

Chances are, your opinion of how 'cute' your dogs antics are are not shared by those around you. Most people don't want to hear excessive barking, have hair on them, or be licked or jumped on.

And, I like a no-poo yard. But, my neighbors think it is OK to let their dogs poop all over my lawn. I hate poo.

If I catch a dog owner letting their dog soil my yard, Im following them home and Im going to poop on their yard myself. Poop is poop.

Im getting a Yorkie next. No hair and small poop.

What did a dog ever do to you?

Sheesh..

I clean up when my dog goes in my neighbor's yard, my dog may bark and whine sometimes (he is a husky) but my neighbors could only hear it if they were standing in my yard.

So people get dog hair on them.. big deal. Know a quick fix for getting rid of dog hair? Go skydiving. Seriously, whips all that dog hair right off your clothes.

Probably help you mellow out too..

My dog doesn't jump on people and yeah, I think it is fine to get hair on people.

People who don't want hair on them can just choose to not pet my dog, or ride in the backseat of my car.

Do you really think it is OK to let your dog jump on people and get hair on them?

No I don't think it's ok for my dog to jump on people... and she doesn't jump on people... because I don't let her... (What can I say... I demand that Karma be polite...)

Though alas she isn't able to keep herself from shedding... she mostly does it in my house, in my car, at the dog park... if people are so bent about avoiding it then the don't have to ride in my car or come over and visit... :P

Oh, fwiw... I have a fenced in yard where I live... which means Karma doesn't poop in other peoples yard (shoot... I have to pick it up out of my yard...) and when she is at my parents (who don't have a fenced in yard) she is always supervised when outside... (of course they have 4 acres and the only neighbor's yard she ever visits is happy to see her...)

ah alas... the bad behaviors of any dog are not the dogs fault... but the owners...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

On topic though... Karma has her moments of humorous behavior...

for example... she is not allowed sleeping in my bed... but when she REALLY wants to get in the bed she is sooo adorable and cute that I'll give in and let her climb on... she will stand next to the bed... and put her head on the bed and stare at you with the traditional puppy dog eyes... then once in a blue moon she'll hop up on the bed and lie down (after walking around to find the most comfortable spot)

the reason she isn't allowed to sleep in the bed at night is because although she does usually start out curled up in a ball she generally ends up spralled out (as big as she can be) in the center of the bed...

most of the time I just kick her off the bed and make her lie on her Ruffwear Urban Sprawl bed...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

we have three....two are rescue dogs in the last 9 months. The beagle is our latest and greatest find.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Don't get me wrong, you house, your car.....Cover them with pelts for all I care. I would never say anything if it was your house or car. And, I never even meant to infer you were a bad owner. My neighbors that use my yard as a poop-a-thon are.

But, for instance, at the DZ, or any other place that is common, make sure your pet, or child or self does not bother anyone unreasonably.

Id say spit and hair all over me is unreasonable.

Karen, after meeting him at LP I think your dog is one in a million. :)
My Border Collie, Molly, has several (mostly) lovable quirks. She's a nudger - if she thinks you need to pet her, she'll let you know by nudging whatever body part is closest to her (hand, elbow, leg, whatever). She is good about stopping when I tell her to stop in the "alpha" voice though.

One of her favorite places to be is underfoot. Sitting at the computer? Odds are good that Molly is curled up exactly where you want your feet to be. In the kitchen? Odds are good that Molly is within 12 inches of your feet. Trying to hug the s/o? Odds are good that Molly is working her way in between the two sets of legs.

She loves going for walks/hikes. If we're someplace she has been before and it's relatively open, she leads (until she finds something good to smell of course). If it's someplace she hasn't seen before or a narrow trail she likes to walk just behind the lead human, veering left and right to see around the legs. It's pretty funny to watch.

My favorite Molly story has to do with water. Until last summer she hated it. Baths involved constant "i'm not happy" shaking and the tail stayed tucked so far up that it resembled a penis. Last summer we were living at the dz; in the afternoons the trailer AC couldn't keep up. We got a small wading pool and would spend time with our feet in it. She wanted nothing to do with it at first, wouldn't even drink out of it. After being put into the pool a few times she decided it was okay to step in if told to but didn't get in on her own. Fast forward to today - we go for walks by the creek and she can't wait til we get to the place where she can run in and splash around! She still doesn't swim like Karen's dog does (that one in a million thing again) though.

As much as I dislike having dog hair all over the house, clothes, car, gear... she's worth it.

Lisa,
My parents have a border collie too. We call it the "Grand Dog". They literally love this dog more than their kids and grand kids. They have this toy squirrel that they get the dog all hyped up with. It jumps all over, barks like crazy and annoys everyone but my parents while they oncessantly play "Where is the squirrel?"

They were staying at my 94 yr old grandmothers house in CA. There is a huge plate glass window in the dining room. Grandma said, "Oh look at the squirrel" The Grand Dog promptly jumps through the plate glass window.

Who's fault? The old lady who should had known better than to say "squirrel".

They take this dog everywhere, to other peoples houses, to restaraunts.....They won't fly anywhere because of the dog...And they fly for free. They load it up in its BMW dog seat with seat belt and entertain America with the "squirrel' game.

Oh how I long for the lab-chow mix they used to have that would lay in one spot for days.