bigway

Recipe

I have worked on and off as a Chef for the past 12 years since going to chef school. Just now a super urge has come over me to eat some Meatloaf. Now, I dont come from America and think i have only ever seen let alone eaten Meatloaf 2 or 3 times in my life, and that was when i was something like 8 or 10 years old.
I am positive i could go to the kitchen and make myself a meatloaf straight from the thought of what would go in it but at the same time i remember hearing in so many movies etc that it is a huge 'american' comfort food. I guess something that alot of Americans would have had alot growing up.

So Instead of just making my own imagined version of the dish or some recipe of the internet i am wondeirng if one of you guys being american have reall fucking good mommas meatloaf recipe for it?
I am looking for that real kick ass-full of flavor-dont tell anyone the recipe-family tradition-eat the whole thing-american meatloaf' recipe.

It is 2 am in the morning right now and I cant wait to see the shops open in the morning so i can follow one of your guys recipes and eat myself some meatloaf.

Anyone got a recipe? DOnt worry about how much of each thing if you dont know, just tell me what you guys put in your meatloaf. I imagine, peppers, onions, chillis, cayenne, worester sauce, ground chuck, ground sirloin, carrots, croutons, garlic but am sure there are some ingrediants i am missing that makes it that much special.

Sorry, i am just so excited about cooking meatloaf as soon as the shops open on sunday morning.

Fuck i am hungry now.

Thanks.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I imagine, peppers, onions, chillis, cayenne, worester sauce, ground chuck, ground sirloin, carrots, croutons, garlic but am sure there are some ingrediants i am missing that makes it that much special.

Basic Ingredients
Ground Beef (80%), 70%, Ground sirloin, your choice...
onions
couple of eggs
worchester sauce
seasoned bread crumbs (not croutons)
little garlic
little salt & pepper

Individual Touches
Add a little veal
I use a little Olive Oil
Some folks add chicken or beef broth
etc. etc.

Here's the thing, Chef. Meatloaf is kinda like spaghetti sauce... you don't follow a recipe; you create. Try something different, add a little change each time till you find the one that makes your tastebuds happy. And like spaghetti sauce, it has to be better the second day. AND, it especially has to be good cold on a sandwich the next day.

Now, go create sumpin... ;)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Spaghetti sauce??? Another american thing... yeah, yeah, someone will say italian.

YEah, as i said though, just looking for some ingrediants that others put in their meatloaf as my imagination aint working at 2 am and surely there is something else special.

Actually, the reason i said croutons instead of bread crumbs was because i was thinking of making Garlic croutons and then crushing them so the garlic and herb flavour was trapped in the pieces of bread. Jsut a preference of mine when using breadcrumbs in a dish.
olive oil and eggs is a sure thing for me but there has to be something else i am not thinking of.

VEal, thanks but not my cup of tea.

Thinking i might add a touch of sour cream to it, just a touch so it is not runny and maybe also a sprinle of grated cheese through it.

Getting really hungry now.[:/]

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

This recipe is a bit unusual. My mother-in-law always used oatmeal instead of bread in her meatloaf. Some people make the loaf and pour ketchup over the top while it bakes.

Cranberry Meatloaf

¾ cup Whole Cranberry Sauce
¾ cup Dark Brown Sugar
1½ pounds lean Hamburger
1 pound lean Sausage
2 Eggs
1 medium Onion, chopped
¼ cup Ketchup
½ cup Milk
½ cup Oatmeal
1 teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon Thyme
½ teaspoon Marjoram
½ teaspoon Ground Pepper
½ teaspoon Rosemary

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine cranberry sauce and brown sugar in a small bowl.

Line a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan with aluminum foil.

Cover bottom of pan with sauce.

In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Mix well. Place in pan.

Bake for 2 hours. Let cool for 15 minutes.

Carefully turn loaf out onto a serving platter.

Drizzle pan juice over meat loaf the serve.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

Sounds like you pretty much already have the gist of it. Here's mine...

2-2 1/2 pounds ground beef (the less lean the better)
1 jumbo or 2 small eggs
bread crumbs
about 1/2 cup each of bell pepper and onion (fineley chopped)
salt
black and white pepper
garlic (finely chopped)
cayenne
tobasco
tomato sauce

I usually use a canned meatloaf sauce as a base and add the spices above to it. You probably can't get that there so you can just use a tomato sauce and maybe add a little worester sauce. Basically what you're shooting for is a tangy well spiced tomato sauce. I like it very spicy so I'm very liberal with the cayenne, tobasco and garlic.

I don't really measure but I'd say you'll need about 3 cups of sauce and about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of bread crumbs.

I add the eggs, spices and rougly 1 to 1 1/2 of the sauce and about the same amount of bread crumbs to the ground beef in a large bowl and mix well. You might want to start out with a little less of the sauce and bread crumbs and keep adding until you get the mixture right. You'll want to add enough to make it a 'loaf' and not just a big ole' hamburger pattie. Some people like more or less bread crumbs depending on their taste. I'm pretty liberal with the bread crumbs though.

After you get the mixture right, ball it up and place it in a large glass casserole dish and form the loaf into a rectangle. I usually make it about 3-4 inches tall and use a dish that will hold the loaf leaving just about two inches between the loaf and the side of the dish.

I bake it at 350 for about 45-min to an hour. Half way through I take it out drain the grease that's accumulated in the dish and generously coat it with the remaining sauce (I usually give it a little dusting with more cayenne after putting on the sauce) and finish baking.

I wouldn't dare make meat loaf without garlic mashed potatoes. Cajun boiled corn on the cobb goes well with this too.

CRAP! After all of this I guess I'll be making meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dinner tonight. I'm having the craving now.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

Yeah mate, i have a mad craving for it now.

Garlic mashed pots are good, however i tend to go more with the Spring onion mashed pots.
Though I do like to add on top of my fries or mashed pots a room temperature whipped garlic butter

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I find if I do half ground beef and half ground pork that I much prefer the flavor and texture of the whole thing.

That's my basic ...

I'll also add some or all of the following

An egg
Bread crumbs (which is probably where your crouton instinct came from)
Worcester sauce
Ketchup
Barbecue sauce
Lipton onion soup mix
Chopped up onions (helps to saute them first)

The most important thing, though, is to top it off with several pieces of bacon (so that the whole top is covered). The bacon will cook up and all the juicy flavor will drip into the meatloaf. Yum.

Other thing I've started doing lately is using the loaf pan to form the loaf, but actually cooking it on a roasting pan (with slats) so it'll drain. Still is plenty juicy.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Cranberry sauce. That is why i started this thread... That is awesome!

However i dont know what lean hamburger is??? IS that like ablended lettuce, tomato, Beef, onions, and bread roll is??

No, it's just a leaner cut of beef. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Shame you dont have real bacon in America.
Apparently the real bacon (belly) they instead in America use this to make pork rashings or something?

You guys have what we call streaky bacon.
Here is a real picture of Bacon. This is what bacon looks like in nearly any country besides americans. When i worked in the states cooking, my boss always argued that she used the best bacon, when i showed her a photo like this she could not believe her eyes. The thing is, this is how bacon should look. The link says organice, but never mind that, even non organice looks like this but i needed a photo to show you.

http://controlpanel.hotscot.net/customer_images/E5EF3591-DC95-4F40-86AC-F4B558D092A6/large/organic%20bacon%20-%20large.jpg
and thats a small piece of bacon.
http://www.manxkippers.com/images/products/oak-smoked-bacon-big.jpg

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Want me to send you some bacon via DHL? Sure there is some sort of packaging i could send it in that would last three days.

Bring some to Eloy :D. In this case, it's really not about having "proper" bacon but about having a flavorful pork product dripping all of its flavor down into your meatloaf. But even if you don't have bacon, just using the ground pork in the mix adds so much to it, too.

And now I'm hungry. Enough postwhoring - time for breakfast!

I cant believe how many americans love bacon but your country still insists on making pork scratchings out of the cut that makes these beautiful bacon rashers.

Do slices like the cuts i just showed you look like you would like them?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

However i dont know what lean hamburger is???

Here in the US, Ground Beef is classified in precentages of lean 70%, 80% on the label

Ground Chuck - High fat content
Ground Beef - (70%) leaner than ground chuck
Ground Beef - (80%) Leaner than 70%
Ground Beef - (90%) Leaner than 80%
Ground Sirloin - leanest

Some folks like more fat in their meatloaf so it doesn't dry out when cooking. Others use leaner meat but add more liquid flavorings (tomato sauce, broth, etc.) to keep it moist... The primary guage for us yanks is whether meatloaf is too dry.

Scroll to the bottom of this page:
http://meat.tamu.edu/grbeef.html

On a separate note: NWFlyer's suggestion of lipton onion soup mix is very popular.

Ok... going skydiving... let us know how it turned out.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

This recipe is a bit unusual. My mother-in-law always used oatmeal instead of bread in her meatloaf. Some people make the loaf and pour ketchup over the top while it bakes.

Cranberry Meatloaf

¾ cup Whole Cranberry Sauce
¾ cup Dark Brown Sugar
1½ pounds lean Hamburger
1 pound lean Sausage
2 Eggs
1 medium Onion, chopped
¼ cup Ketchup
½ cup Milk
½ cup Oatmeal
1 teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon Thyme
½ teaspoon Marjoram
½ teaspoon Ground Pepper
½ teaspoon Rosemary

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine cranberry sauce and brown sugar in a small bowl.

Line a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan with aluminum foil.

Cover bottom of pan with sauce.

In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Mix well. Place in pan.

Bake for 2 hours. Let cool for 15 minutes.

Carefully turn loaf out onto a serving platter.

Drizzle pan juice over meat loaf the serve.

Wow that sounds so awesome! Gonna try that one for sure! Meat loaf is one of my favorites!!!;)

Here's mine (sorry, I'm CANADIAN, so the comfort factor may be a bit different!) :D

Classic Meat Loaf Recipe

• 1 cup of finely chopped onion
• 1 celery rib, chopped fine
• 1 Tbsp minced garlic
• 1 carrot, chopped fine
• 1/2 cup of finely chopped scallion (can substitute onion)
(I chop up the above in my handy dandy little food processor)
• 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
• 2 tsp salt (use 1 1/2 teas if using Italian sausage)
• 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
• 2 tsp Worscestershire sauce
• 2/3 cup ketchup
• 1 1/2 pounds of ground chuck
• 3/4 pound of spicy ground pork sausage (or use Italian sausage - 1 sweet, 1 hot)
(NOTE: many versions of meatloaf call for ground veal as well. Experiment with a third each of beef, pork, and veal.)
• 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
• 2 large eggs, beaten slightly
• 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley leaves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large heavy skillet cook the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, and scallion in butter, over moderate heat, stirring, for about 5 minutes.

Cover and stir occasionally until the carrots are tender, about 5 more minutes.

Stir in salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and 1/3 a cup of ketchup. Cook for 1 more minute.

In a large bowl, combine the meats, eggs, bread crumbs, vegetables, and parsley. (I mix it all together with my hands - nice and gooey!)

Form into a loaf and put into a retangular baking pan with 2 inch high sides. Cover loaf with remaining ketchup.

Bake meat loaf in oven for 1 hour.

Serves 4 to 6.

'Shell

This, is my mother's recipe for just, good ol' country meatloaf:

1- lb. ground (lean) beef
1- beaten egg
1/2- cup chopped onion
1/2- cup chopped bell pepper
1/2- cup chopped celery
1 or two chopped garlic cloves
a dash of Worcester(sp) sauce
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Form the mixture in a loaf pan or baking pan and pour some catsup over the top. Bake in the oven at 325-deg. till done.
It ain't fancy but, it's darned good!:D

Chuck

yeah, i know what 'lean' means... just hamburger to me is a hamburger. lettuce, tomato, beef, onion, bun, cheese etc. Never knew there was a meat called hamburger.

Sheezh... foreigners!!! :S

***The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Noun
1. Ground meat, usually beef.
2. A sandwich made with a patty of ground meat usually in a roll or bun.

I like a carrot grated or chopped fine in my meatloaf too. How did yours turn out?

ones? -- Monday.

I do hope you realize you are also a foreigner.;)

Nah... I can't be. I've never been out of the country. :D:D:D

Seriously though... it's amazing that something so common in one country is completely unknown in another English-speaking country. The fact that there is no meatloaf where you live is astounding to me. :o
ones? -- Monday.

i know how you feel. A kiwi is a bird, its actually our national bird. A kiwifruit is a fruit, also our national export.

Do the birds eat the fruit? Isn't Kiwi also a slang term for someone from New Zealand?
ones? -- Monday.

What??? Where did you get that nonsense from?

....far out. What do they teach you over there.

'Sir' is the slang word for someone from New Zealand.

I got that from a couple from my church who moved here from New Zealand. I heard someone else refer to them that way, and I thought they were calling them a fruit! :D

I found this website about Kiwi words and phrases:

http://www.chemistry.co.nz/kiwi.htm#kickthebucket

Kiwi: New Zealander
kiwi: an endangered flightless bird native to New Zealand
kiwifruit: hairy skinned fruit with lime green flesh - formerly known as Chinese Gooseberry

ones? -- Monday.