antifnsocial

Is this for real? If it is it's cool and we should do it...

I got this email from someone and if it's real I kinda think it's a cool thing to do for someone. Just a thought for anyone who might be interested.

When you are making out your Christmas card list this year, please include an extra card and send it to the following:

A Recovering American soldier

c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center

6900 Georgia Avenue,NW

Washington,D.C. 20307-5001
Please feel free to reply to my posts and pm's, but only if you're smart enough to understand what they really mean.

Nice idea but without a name, it's kinda' impersonal...like "to occupant". I'd imagine local church or vet organizations probably do something like that and/or have a list of names.

When I was in, our base always sought volunteers for the "Family Home Holidays" program. Every holiday season, locals living near the base would invite military members into their home for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners. I thought that was cool. Even if you're not "over there", it sucks to be alone and stuck on base, during the holidays.
"T'was ever thus."

Nice idea but without a name, it's kinda' impersonal

There are actually several programs that do this type of thing, like the "Any Soldier" letter program. From first hand experience, I can tell you that when people get the cards it doesn't matter to them that it wasn't addressed to them. Most of the time they organize the letters by the state they came from so people can talk to someone from "home". For some guys who had no one back in the US, it was the "any soldier" letters and boxes that kept them stocked up on pogie bait or gave them someone to write to. It may sound impersonal but those letters/boxes make a lot of soldiers happy.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Apparently. The "Any Soldier"program I mentioned is indeed legit but it is for deployed troops. There is a program for those in hospitals that people can send items to but the name slips me at the moment. If I can find it, I'll post the information.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

WHen I was stationed in Europe in the 70's, I remember receiving letters during Christmas time. And, while I didn't know those pople, the spirit of them along with the holidays made me feel a little closer to home. Like Scott, states, they were segregated by state and I wrote most of the people back. In some cases, we corresponded for years.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

WHen I was stationed in Europe in the 70's, I remember receiving letters during Christmas time. And, while I didn't know those pople, the spirit of them along with the holidays made me feel a little closer to home. Like Scott, states, they were segregated by state and I wrote most of the people back. In some cases, we corresponded for years.

When I was stationed at Korat AFB in Thailand in 1969, the base post office set out several boxes of Christmas cards like mentioned above. While checking my mail that morning I noticed five or six GIs tearing the cards open as fast as they could, checking for money, then throwing them in the trash.[:/]
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

I noticed five or six GIs tearing the cards open as fast as they could, checking for money, then throwing them in the trash

That tells me more about the nature of their soul and the intentions of thier heart. Lemmee guess, they were fucking dopers. >:(
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.