fugozzie

As a Rigger during a reserve repack do you re-pack the main?

In my experience, the main is usually removed from the harness to make the reserve easier to pack (and to carry around). Then the customer re-attaches the main when they get the rig back. However, in today's skydiving culture, where many jumpers seem to need a packer or a rigger to re-attach the 3-Rings for them, maybe it's better that they pay the rigger for a main pack job.

Kevin

I have been a master rigger for the last 30 years and have never touched a main canopy unless asked to do so by the owner. A thorough inspection of the containers, harness, and reserve canopy, along with the repack is what I am required to do by the FAA, and this is what the owner is paying for. If he wants the main inspected and repacked the price goes up.
D-2785

I have been a master rigger for the last 30 years and have never touched a main canopy unless asked to do so by the owner. A thorough inspection of the containers, harness, and reserve canopy, along with the repack is what I am required to do by the FAA, and this is what the owner is paying for. If he wants the main inspected and repacked the price goes up.
D-2785

What do you do if rig has main attached and packed?

I leave the main alone. That might mean a little more work in closing the reserve, but it came out with the main packed, it will go back in!

I'm imagining a 1992 Javelin that comes to you with the main packed and nothing on the data card indicating compliance with SPSB 03032000 Rev B. (Reflexes and Dolphins also have SBs requiring inspection of the main container to determine compliance.) Hypothetically, what would you do?

The Tandem Vector harness lateral is sewn to the main container. Would you return a rig to service if you were unable to inspect that stitching because the main was packed?

Mark

The original question that started this thread was only talking about re-packs! It did not question about complying with SB's. Of course, if a SB mandated the opening of the main container ( to be complied with) it would be opened. That should go without saying.-Doc

Certified as a Master Rigger or not, opening the main container should go without saying.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Inspecting the bottom wall of the reserve container is an important part of the inspection process.
I have patched a few reserve bottom flaps.
In worse cases, I have had to re-sew the bottom corners of reserve containers to the pack tray after customers opened unstable and tore reserve containers off.

Carry on.

When I'm handed a 'complete' rig, all packed-up, I ask the owner if they would like me to go through the main, also. If, they say 'no', I lay the rig on my packing table, remove the main. I disconnect the main with weights across the risers. I then, go through the inspection and re-pack process. This also allows me to be sure that service bulletins have been or are done. When I'm finished, I re-attach the main and place it back in the container and close it. I have, done mains and I charge the same as for a reserve. I'm with Sparky on that one. I put the same work and effort into a main as I do a reserve so, I charge the same. I've really been lucky on re-packing mains. I've actually had folks ask me to show them how I packed it... they liked the opening. I'll take luck over skill, any day!:D

Chuck

All this, reminds me of one of my customers. He never gave me his 'complete' rig. He always removed the main. I'd periodically ask if he'd like me to go through the main some time. He'd always tell me that the main was fine and it was flying great. He had an old V-1 Vector with a Raven reserve and an old 7-cell (Don't know the mfgr.) main. The day came that he ordered all new gear from me. After the new gear arrived, he brought his old gear to me to 'go through'... main also! I started with the main. I found, two ribs torn from the bottom skin, on rib was torn from the top as well as bottom skin. These tears were more from the middle of the parachute toward the trailing edge. This is along with several small 3-corner tears.
It might not be a bad idea to have a rigger go through the main, once in awhile.

Chuck