johndh1

EEEK! A Snake!

Well... we dont have many in this part of the state... to wet and cold for em.

Last one I caught was a Pacific Emerald Diamondback.. ever seen a grass green rattler... freaky lookin thing.... I kept Strike for a couple years

Not the most snuggly of pets....he did not like being petted at all...:ph34r:

So here's another critter story:

Late last Winter, I woke up in the middle of the night for some reason. I was lying in the bed, and of course rolled over a bit like I frequently do. I sleep with 3 or 4 overstuffed pillows on a firm orthopedic mattress - no flat-laying for me.
Well, between my firm and sinewy torso and one of the pillows at my side, I felt something odd and strange and soft, and it seemed to shift only slightly with my own movement, as if adjusting itself. Now, I often keep a couple of friends' dogs if they go out of town and I don't go, and for a second in my sleepy mind, this little critter felt like my close friend Sandy's now-deceased Penny, a miniature Dachshund which she got from a litter from Ray Lett, who runs the Sylacauga airport (I am like the "doggie grandparent" - no diets at my house, no discipline, etc. Bark, sleep in the bed, have some chips, etc...I'll just send you home to them guiltless. That's why all the doggies love me).

As I slowly woke in the AM, I realized I was not babysitting that night, but rather something had found a warm place to snuggle between myself and the pillow.

Instantly and with great panic I was aroused and my heart was pounding!!!

I bounced around trying to get away from this little creature in the dark, and it just followed me in my tossing and turning, bouncing with me on the bed and hitting me in the side, the head, the stomach, etc., and surely it was as alarmed as I was, trying to get away, and every time I would flip, it would uncontrollably flip with me!

I finally got a grip and got my hand on the lamp switch and turned it on with my heart racing to reveal that to my horror and before all this excitement...

...that I had slept awkwardly, and my hand had fallen asleep, and that's what the critter was that crawled into bed with me, and what I wrestled unsuccessfully to get away from.
Roll Tide Roll

I found him in the Descutes River Canyon when I was hunting Mule deer. It was on a side canyon that had a small stream running into the Descutes. It was very green and very lush.. and he was sunning himself in the early morning sun... so he was a tad sluggish. He was all of 28" or so and he got real active later when he warmed up. He was easy to keep... I fed him trapped mice from the boat yard shop that I would live trap.

I believe they are just an off shoot of a Western Rattlesnake (Crotalus viridis)

You're braver than I am! I'm just not a 'snake person'. Yet, they are interesting creatures.
A couple years ago, I was working cattle and my horse and I were working a draw. My horse suddenly stopped and put his nose to the ground. I looked closer to see what had caught his attention. It was a ribbon snake and he was really curious about it. Thank God, it wasn't a rattler or I would've had to walk back to the house.

Chuck

Amazon...somehow I am drawn to you like moth to flame..you are both Hellish and exquisite.

You have NO idea . . .
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Amazon...somehow I am drawn to you like moth to flame..you are both Hellish and exquisite.

I LIKE.. bein g the Evil Jeanne:P

See . . .

John, Back away slowly . . . no sudden moves - you MIGHT still be ok.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

See . . .

Although she doesn't bite, she puts on a squeeze like a Burmese Python! :o:ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

See . . .

Although she doesn't bite, she puts on a squeeze like a Burmese Python! :o:ph34r:

I was tghinking Burmese - but then I thought Reticulated was bigger . . .

I feel like my testicles have drawn up inside of me in eager anticipation...:o

Don't worry, in a minute or so Karenmeal will be here to tell you you weren't using them anyway.:D:D:D

Too bad you were not at the Farm.... the day after the SD Atlanta Halloween Party.. I went all stealth and snuck away for a few days.. and came on down...But not one guy passed out from one of my hugs... but a few of them did get a nice tingly burn on their cute little tushies;)

Whatever. Last Saturday night there, I drank myself into a blur of non-discriminatory availability (even after Justin's horny-toad dance), and still woke up alone and unviolated, with no stories to tell my therapist about what went wrong.

Maybe next time.
Roll Tide Roll

I tried rattlesnake, a couple times and just couldn't quite acquire a taste for it. I've had it grilled and deep fried at 'rattlesnake round-ups' and I guess, it was just the idea of it. I think, the biggest rattler I've ever seen, was in Walla-Walla (not the prison!):D
edit to add: That's pretty interesting... an 11-yr. old little girl catching 'rattle-bugs'! You're tougher than I am!:D

Chuck

Well when you get em early in the mornin... along the loggin rods going back into the cypres.... they aint so fast....now a coral sanke.. those little suckers were always lively no matter how cold they were.

The steaks at the roundups.. probably were prepared properly...you steak em up...marinate em for a few hours..... batter em.. and deep fry em...

MMMMMM.... the ones up here just are not big enough to go after... even the biggest ones just dont have any girth to them.... and are a bit too bony.