auburnguy

Close call at zephyrhills

Since when were skydivers cleared for flight in IFR conditions tweek?

:S

Don't understand what your questioning. It wasn't 'IFR flight conditions' at the time or we wouldn't have been jumping (except for maybe hop-n-pops if the ceiling was high enough). It was perfectly fine for flying VFR that day. I only mentioned that he must have been flying IFR because he was flying through clouds.

Hmmm I thought I was being very direct. Let me be more direct, I highly doubt you were as far away from the cloud as the cloud clearances dictate. :ph34r:

People flying the proper distance from clouds aren't often pulling high to avoid clouds, or overtaken by aircraft flying IFR through them.

Personally I don't give a shit about jumping through into or around clouds, but I think you played an equal part in this. :ph34r:
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

The guy has been flying for about 6 years, is not a total novice.

No disrespect intended here pertaining to your friend's aviation experience; however, I didn't bring this up in two different threads. I am only comparing the historical facts I know personally to that of yours from your friend's second-hand information of a dropzone operation of which I have firsthand knowledge.
Roll Tide Roll

Since when were skydivers cleared for flight in IFR conditions tweek?

:S

Don't understand what your questioning. It wasn't 'IFR flight conditions' at the time or we wouldn't have been jumping (except for maybe hop-n-pops if the ceiling was high enough). It was perfectly fine for flying VFR that day. I only mentioned that he must have been flying IFR because he was flying through clouds.

Hmmm I thought I was being very direct. Let me be more direct, I highly doubt you were as far away from the cloud as the cloud clearances dictate. :ph34r:

People flying the proper distance from clouds aren't often pulling high to avoid clouds, or overtaken by aircraft flying IFR through them.

Personally I don't give a shit about jumping through into or around clouds, but I think you played an equal part in this. :ph34r:

>>I highly doubt you were as far away from the cloud as the cloud clearances dictate.

Wow, what amazing powers of intuition you have.:ph34r:

Unless the FAR's have changed, in the airspace over Zephyrhills the minimum VFR cloud clearance is 2000 ft. horizontal and 1000 ft. above.

I was > 1000 above the cloud when I started creeping over it and decided to pull (and no - there was nobody above or behind me). The only alternative would have been a hard track towards the jumpers that left before me. The cloud cover was in between broken and scattered. There were lots of clouds but lots of holes as well. And I was > 2000 ft. away from the clouds horizontally. I said he came within 150-200 yards from me, I didn't say that's where I was the exact moment he came out of the cloud.

I may still be a 'green' pilot and skydiver but I do pay a lot of attention to what's going on around me.:P

...and where did you land? On the South side of the airport, in the dz (your target area)? You couldn't have been that far away upon opening. Had you been in another direction, you could have easily landed in the Zephyrhills poop-plant, or on top of the ZPH FBO..
Roll Tide Roll

I landed in the target area. I was north west of the target area, on the other side the runway (18/36) flying towards the dz (I'm guessing about 140 to 150). We were landing West to East that day, so I was maneuvering to fly a left hand pattern to land towards the deck.

...so, in your defense, as well as your dzo and your jump pilot, where is the (presumed) complainant's position at this time...six months back?
I am assuming that the long-term dropzone is established to the South of the field, and everyone else is NOTAM-ed or otherwise informed. If this friend is flying a big turbine-twin like a King Air, he is at least knowledgeable as much as being aware of the surrounding of his paying customers.

Bottom line: This incursion didn't sneak up on him - he just didn't do his homework, or wasn't paying attention. I have seen numerous over-zealous fly-boys take off in the middle of conscientious jump operations.
Roll Tide Roll

I'd have to guess I was about 50 to 100 yards on the west side of the runway and he was 100 to 150 yards on the east side of the runway on a heading of about 360 (like I said earlier almost on a left downwind for 18 - albeit a very very narrow and high downwind for 18 but almost parallel to it). As far as how far north of the approach end of 36, I'm not exactly sure. I'd guess about a quarter of the way north or halfway to midfield of 36 from the beginning of the runway. As far as the cloud he came through, it was well on the south east side of the dz. The cloud really wasn't a factor in all of this, I only mentioned that I presumed that he was flying IFR because he was flying above the ceiling and on a straight flight path through at least the one cloud I mentioned above.

Edited to change perpendicular to parallel.:S

Well, I did get this screen grab from my camera a couple of years ago.
A nice shot of a glider going right over the DZ at Z-hills and odviously skydivers in the air. Scared the hell outa me when I opened and he (the glider) was right next to me!

The pilot had blue eyes!!!!
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

Over the years I have been there, there have been several - so if it was something really recent and really dangerous/amazing, then I expect I would have heard about it.

We get radar service from Tampa almost every load, and we notify on 2 frequencies at 3 times during our flights of our intentions.

despite all that and even with the best technology, there is nothing like looking down once in a while.....

TK

It's been far too long since I had a jump at Florida's greatest DZ - Zhills. However, as a man with a bit o' time in the cockpit of cessnas and a skydiver it sounds to me like your friend was embellishing the truth more than a bit.

Anything is possible, but what you're relaying is improbable.

My US$0.02. I have the day off tomorrow, and for the first time in a while am sipping tequila in somewhat adequate amounts...

B|

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

ok, i just talked to him and he says it was 3-4 years ago.

OK, now - did it ever occur to you to whether it was responsible to start this thread before doing any preliminary fact-checking at all? Did you question your pal more closely before posting your OP for all the public to read? No. Did you call Z-Hills and try to get facts from them, or ask for their comment, before posting your OP for all the public to read? No. If you did this working for a newspaper, you'd lose your job for doing that (unless you were publishing a Hollywood gossip column).

There's an old saying that "you can't un-ring a bell". An unsubstantiated suggestion or insinuation, or one made out of context, can damage a reputation.

That holds true, even if it's phrased in the form of a question ("has anyone heard if this "may have" happened (wink wink)?"), or if it's qualified ("well, this guy tends to embellish"), or with a disclaimer ("whoops! my bad; it was really 3 or 4 years ago.") - all of which came well after the OP, I will note.

That's the problem with public blogs like this forum. No need to be responsible before posting something publicly about someone that might damage their reputation. That may not have been your intent, but that could be the practical effect.