mysky

Flotation device?!?!

Does anyone know were I might find flotation gear for an upcoming boogie over the water. It's a required piece of equipment which I just found out about and am now scrambling to find something quickly.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those that know how to count, and those who don't.

I was really looking for the portable device not the full blown already inflated gear. I can't remember what it's called but it's the size of a cd case but thicker and uses C02 to inflate. Oh well, I was told Square 1 has them so Monday morning I will give them a buzz if nobody else knows were to get them.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those that know how to count, and those who don't.

Its in a fanny pack. The fanny pack is already strapped around your waist. Pull the C02 and the Class3 PDF pops out. You put it around your neck and one alligator clip has it on.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

uses C02 to inflate.

Are you aware that you can't carry C02 cartridges on commercial flights? Checked or carry on.

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=177

True but knowing this, it would not be hard to purchase a CO2 cartridge when you get there (depending on where "there" is...)

Also a caution about some CO2 floats... the one the author described is great (fanny pack, belt pack etc...) but STRONGLY recommend against wearing any CO2 armed system that is in worn place...

If you wear it over your rig, well lots of easily imagined problems.
If worn under the rig and inflated via CO2 before you are out of the rig (inavertantly or in prep for a dunking) you can crush your rig cage.

Have fun, but get someone experienced in spotting over water!

Jim
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

uses C02 to inflate.

Are you aware that you can't carry C02 cartridges on commercial flights? Checked or carry on.

Last year we were headed to Emerald Coast for the Beach Boogie, and my buddy had his in his carry on. The TSA agent search his bag and told him that he couldn't take the CO2 cartridge on the airplane. David said, "I'll just unscrew it and give it to you, I can always manually inflate it, but I have to have my flotation gear!" The TSA agent had a confused look on his face as David handed him the cartridge, and then he said, "Dude, you can use your seat cushion!"

How do ya like it Johnny?

uses C02 to inflate.

That is pretty stupid considering there is a co2 bottle under every airline seat in the world for the supplied flotation device.

I was working at a dz within a mile of a large lake and we had to have flotation devices on the tandems, we used ex air new zealand ones that had a co2 bottle to inflate.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

There appears to be an exemption for life jacket cartridges:

"NOTE: There is a compressed gas cylinder exception for both carry-on and checked baggage that allows 2 compressed gas cylinders fitted into a self-inflating life-jacket and 2 spare cartridges with the approval of the aircraft operator."

It's on the TSA page
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1188.xml

but unfortunately NOT in the pdf list found on the page previously posted.

A similar exemption exists here in Canada.

There appears to be an exemption for life jacket cartridges:

The section right above your quote says: "TSA Security Screeners must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside."

In 2003 when I flew to east to do the Kitty Hawk demo they were real spooked about any compressed cylinders.

I guess it is all about who you talk to and when you talk to them.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The way I read it, if you have compress gas cylinders they have to have the regulator NOT attached.
This would imply you have something big enough to have a regulator. There is a NOTE on that heading (bulleted and tabbed out) that states you have have a dual cartridge system AND 2 spares with the approval of the aircraft operator

For example Delta http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/special_baggage/dangerous_goods/index.jsp

Says you can bring 1 pfd with 1 cartridge as a Checked bag only.

The section right above your quote says: "TSA Security Screeners must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside."

I got the impression that the life jacket exception is an exemption from the requirements of the whole paragraph. Otherwise it's not much of an exception. There would be little point in being allowed to take along emptied non-refillable cartridges (if they are indeed non-refillable).

I guess it is all about who you talk to and when you talk to them.

Agreed! Check ahead.

Otherwise it's not much of an exception. There would be little point in being allowed to take along emptied non-refillable cartridges (if they are indeed non-refillable).

I agree, I just know the one time I was going to take a PFD the good folks at TSA said no way. I shipped them next day air to CSS and got them when I got there.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Check out this item http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=97RP&dir_id=758&group_id=10758&cat_id=10769&subcat_id=10770&feature_id=18

The link is for a CO2 inflatable that lives in a belt pack. It's made for boating, and sold here for fishing, but should do the trick. The cost is USD 80.00.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Guys,

allthough the Commercial Flight info in generally usefull, I am pretty sure the original question does have any relevance to this as the boogie in question is, I believe, about 2 -1/2 hours away from the poster's Home DZ.
Remster