grannyinthesky

May I rant for a minute?

I just saw a segment on the Today show about tools for women. They were showing a tape measure with the markings labeled by 4 3/8 etc. That is absolutely absurd for anyone, man or woman. Unfortunately, in my classrooms, I have discoved that way too many college students cannot read a ruler. That however is not the solution!!!!!!
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Yeah, I thought that was pretty ridiculous too when they showed that. I know how to work the tools that they showed but I'm the daughter of a Builder. If more women are learning these skills, that's good though. A little late is better than nothing!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Yeah, I thought that was pretty ridiculous too when they showed that. I know how to work the tools that they showed but I'm the daughter of a Builder. If more women are learning these skills, that's good though. A little late is better than nothing!

That part was good. Personally, I never figured you need to be male to make use of tools. In fact, my brothers gave me my grandad's tools and toolbox after my grandma died. They knew i would put them to good use and I do. What I have a problem with is the inability of people to read rulers and deal with fractions.

POPS #10490

I think the y should have marked it $ #/*
since it is the computer age and it doesn't matter if people are literate,m as long as they can match symbols.:D

I think my brother was about 9 before he could read an analog clock. I was 3 years younger and made fun of him for it.

We had a conversation a few years later when he was tryin gto spell "Splash" but thought it was a sound and not a word. Then, I asked him, than how did they spell the movie? ("Splash" w. Tom Hanks/Darryl Hannah had just come out.)

My photos

My Videos

since it is the computer age and it doesn't matter if people are literate,m as long as they can match symbols

Unfortunately, that's really not true as far as math skills go. Today's calculators are really just small computers. Without having reasonable math knowledge, students get outrageously wrong answers and have no clue that there's a problem. I'm not saying get rid of calculators, by the way. I teach their correct use as part of my curriculum. I suspect teachers in all areas could/would say the same thing.

POPS #10490

I was being sarcastic. I agree with you that, in essence, people are stupid.
A large number who read my posts probably say that about me.:D

I type with my elbows and as if I were chatting with long time freinds. I'm not usually full of cooth.:D

But I do know that 4 is larger than 17.

My photos

My Videos

I was being sarcastic. I agree with you that, in essence, people are stupid.
A large number who read my posts probably say that about me.

I figured there was a bit of sarcasm in you post. I'm not saying people are stupid, by the way. I see a big difference between intelligence and education. Care to guess which one I have a problem with here?;)

POPS #10490

I call it the difference between street smart and bookwise.

Some people can figure "shit" out for themselves, some can not fart without a self-help book.:D
But just because they read "farting your way to a better life" doesn't mean they are able to apply that knowledge.

But I do agree that if you take an intelligent person and Educate him/her. You'll have a Smart person on your hands.

My photos

My Videos

I call it the difference between street smart and bookwise.
Some people can figure "shit" out for themselves, some can not fart without a self-help book.
But just because they read "farting your way to a better life" doesn't mean they are able to apply that knowledge.
But I do agree that if you take an intelligent person and Educate him/her. You'll have a Smart person on your hands

I like students who can figure things out, not quote something from a book. I can work with ones with street smarts. They know how to learn and generally do. They are the ones who seriously want and expect answers to "Where am I ever going to need this?" When I can supply those answers, they thrive in the classroom.

POPS #10490

I totally agree...BUT....
It's a different example here but when we get new kids in to our shop I have a motto; The ones you like the least are the ones you should work with longer.

A real pain in the ass but the ones who GET IT have a line of lazy managers/supervisors waiting to teach them.

I am also aware that I can not ignore the one getting "teached":D by a lazy supervisor. So where I may ave one kid "spun-up" in 6 months It may take a year to get the other one to that level.
most people give up at that point.
It's the old "why can't you be like your brother" cliche.

My photos

My Videos

It's a different example here but when we get new kids in to our shop I have a motto; The ones you like the least are the ones you should work with longer.

That's understandable. Most of the time, I prefer teaching the developmental level classes because those are the students who are the most challenging and have the most to gain. That said, I am teaching calculus this year for the first time since grad school and it is a nice change to be teaching math instead of teaching how to learn math.

POPS #10490

I just saw a segment on the Today show about tools for women. They were showing a tape measure with the markings labeled by 4 3/8 etc. That is absolutely absurd for anyone, man or woman. Unfortunately, in my classrooms, I have discoved that way too many college students cannot read a ruler. That however is not the solution!!!!!!

What is worse, IMO, is that the kids are having more and more trouble doing math in their heads.

My daughter hates it - but I constantly am trying to get her to answer fundamental questions about how much somthing is - and making up story problems - She hates me for it, but when she gets it right, it is a wonderful smile she gives out.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

What is worse, IMO, is that the kids are having more and more trouble doing math in their heads.
My daughter hates it - but I constantly am trying to get her to answer fundamental questions about how much somthing is - and making up story problems - She hates me for it, but when she gets it right, it is a wonderful smile she gives out.

Thank you for helping you daughter. It' will give her a real foot up in the world. I try to make students aware that there is a time and place for each tool, brains, pencil and paper, and calculator. Not to mention the biggie---what does it mean and how do you use it. B|B|B|

POPS #10490

I once heard Bill Booth say-although I don't think he originated it; "Years ago, you knew you were growing up when you could tie your own shoes and tell time. Now, we have velcro shoes and digital watches."

This was years ago, and you don't see so many velcro shoes, but still an interesting thought.

Kevin K.

Careful, next thing ya know somebody is going to spout off about the "superiority" of the metric system.

Well, it is so much easier to use. It's mostly the conversions that cause grief and not knowing what the basic units represent physically. My students at the prison i taught at had a good grip on grams, but most people don't. And lengths.......Well, I put a question on one of my beginning algebra tests this quarter asking studens which race did I run, a 7k or a 7 mile if I ran the shorter of the two. Students who had been to class knew how to find the answer, by the way.B|

POPS #10490

They were showing a tape measure with the markings labeled by 4 3/8 etc.

Careful, next thing ya know somebody is going to spout off about the "superiority" of the metric system. ;)

:(Damn...crushed my move again! It is, though.

Aside from that, I sympathize with the feeling of "never gonna' need this", since I have never, to this very day....needed to diagram a sentence. I think knowing where to find and/or access certain information, is more important than memorizing it. Supposedly, Einstein never knew his own phone number...he never memorized it because he didn't want to clutter his mind, with information he rarely needed and knew where to find, if he did.
"T'was ever thus."

Aside from that, I sympathize with the feeling of "never gonna' need this", since I have never, to this very day....needed to diagram a sentence. I think knowing where to find and/or access certain information, is more important than memorizing it. Supposedly, Einstein never knew his own phone number...he never memorized it because he didn't want to clutter his mind, with information he rarely needed and knew where to find, if he did.

That's why I generally don't ask my students to memeorize formulas and so on. In the real world, you can look them up. I'd rather they be able to use them and their calculators correctly.

POPS #10490

first concept to grasp.... is that most tape measures, rulers yardsticks etc. are marked in SIXTEENTHS.......

half of one , then half of a half , then half of a quarter, then half of an eighth... and there you go... you have 16ths....B|

As one of 4 brothers, all close in age, and all the sons of a builder, we were driving nails, operating saws, and measuring to the 16th...BEFORE we were.... well ,,,, 16 !!!!!:)
coupled with the basic ( and solid) arithmetic and math skills we were learning in school... and it became truly,,, second nature....

Many many kids and adults,, today can not do multiplication tables,, in their heads....[:/] I do metal math and arithmetic many many times,, each day ...:|

Metric does work however, quade, and does have it's value when talking about lengths...not so sure about weights, and volume...

Problem is... There is NO direct equivalent from one scale to the other... I E ...4.3 is not the same as 4 3/8th... not the same as 4 and a 16th... not the same as 4 and a quarter... never will be... 4.5 works,,,, since it happens to equate to 4 and a half... but other fractions and decimal values are not exact...

and in Math.. we oughtta be exact,,, to I dunno??? maybe the 10 place... what IS the rule grannyinthesky???...

Metric works well since it deals in Tenths,, especially when transcribing from meters, to Centimeters or on to millimeters...
I order certain equipment which I install , by completing a metric order form... It is very workable and and easier ( IMHO ) to interpret, , especially when looking at lengths or distances,,, relative to one another...

I DID Like the hammer.. with the magnetic notch in it.:DB| so you can lean waaaaay out on the ladder... :S[:/] to drive a nail,,,, at a place you'd otherwise have to reposition that ladder , to reach...:S:S>:(:(;)

lets be careful out there....

Women who can use hand tools,, and ( be still my heart ) POWER tools....:$:P
well they are right up there at the top of the list... Mix that with computer saavy, and a few other important personality traits.....( and of course, skydiving..;);) )
and you have a winner on your hands.....B|

jmy

and in Math.. we oughtta be exact,,, to I dunno??? maybe the 10 place... what IS the rule grannyinthesky???...

To whatever decimal place fits the purpose of what you are doing. If you are ordering concrete, you order in yards, no decimal places and round up please. If i am trimming pictures to fit a frame, I need more precision. if you are doing work of a more technical nature, more decimal places. You would seldom need more than 3 or 4 places in most settings.

Women who can use hand tools,, and ( be still my heart ) POWER tools....
well they are right up there at the top of the list... Mix that with computer saavy, and a few other important personality traits.....( and of course, skydiving.. )
and you have a winner on your hands.....

You mean someone appreciates a woman who can measure, cut and install the skirting on her own mobile home? Yep, I did. My brother, generous sort, lent me the tools and came by later to see the finished product. B|B|

POPS #10490

Measure twice, cut once.;)

Bobbi

I measure twice, then cut a little long first, then go back and get it perfect. Sometimes you measure twice, then cut it just a smidge too short. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban