monkycndo

What are the odds?

So, I've been putting it off for quite some time, but I finally did it. Willie, my 2001 green Passat wagon, needed new tires. With the start of the winter rains, I figured it was time. Took it down to the tire shop.

So, my car gets put on the lift right in front of the waiting room. I'm not paying too close attention, but start to realize not much is happening on the car, and several of the staff are looking at the lift. They then raise Willie and start poking long tools into a small hole in the floor next to the big cylinder that raises the car. I figure the lift has a problem. Mike the manager, eventually comes in and starts to explain what was taking so long. Well, Willie is equipped with a "tire lock" type lug nut on each rim that requires an adapter to remove that lug nut. They make it a little harder to steal the rims if you don't have the adapter. The worker removing the rim dropped the adapter and it rolled under the car. And you guessed it. It rolled right towards that little hole in the floor and fell in. The difference in size was about a 1/4". They can't fish the adapter out of the hole. So now they don't have the adapter to complete the job. He explains that they have a tool that can get the lock lug nuts off, but they can't reinstall the locks without the adapter and the removal tool really chews up the locks.

So I get a few options.
(1) Come back at another time when they have have a replacement adapter and get the tires changed.
(B)Use the destructive removal tool and get the tires changed. They have the standard lugs to put back in so I can get home with all 5 lug nuts per rim installed. They would order a set of replacement locks and I can come back and have them installed.
(B.2) or they would send them to me and I could switch them out myself.

With the rains forecasted and my schedule busy next weekend, I go with option B.2 and get the new shoes for Willie. And I get a free tire pressure gauge for my troubles. :|

With the odds of that adapter falling in that hole, I should have bought a lotto ticket the way my luck was running. Or not.[:/]
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Dude, thats the way of the universe. You or anyone else probably couldn't intentionally make the same thing happen again no matter how hard you tried. Just like the item you're looking for in a bag will always be on the very bottom or the key that opens the lock will always be the last one you try on the whole ring. As corny as it sounds, sometimes things do happen for a reason, even if it isn't or never becomes apparent to us.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Oh, that brought back memories of being on the side of I-5 in BF Oregon with a shredded tire on my Passat while the guy that AAA sent out is looking at me like "Sorry, lady, if you don't know where your adapter thing is I can't help you." This after I've been waiting an hour for someone to come help me change the tire because fuck if I'm going to try with traffic whizzing by me at 70+ MPH.

How am I to know that VW has the extra special secret pocket in the flap of the tool pouch for the adapter? Fortunately I felt the weight in the flap when I opened up the tool pouch for "one last look" before the tow truck driver ran off on me.

Glad you got the new tires on at least so you can deal with the week's monsoons. Sorry to hear your adapter is lost to the holes on the bottom of the tire store's floor.:D:D

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Are they ALSO going to pay for the locking lug SET and GIVE you the adapter for FREE too?

As well as it SHOULD be.... If they don't, then have them replace the adapter for free and take business elsewhere>:(... and tell em to keep the FREE tire pressure gauge! It will break next time yr tire is low b/c it's made in CHINA!:S

TIME is money, and your going to be busy next week and the rains are coming! your day and safety gets screwed over because of someone elses' butter fingers!

Business IS business!!!

Sorry to hear your adapter is lost to the holes on the bottom of the tire store's floor

I'm thinking I might go back and explore that little hole. Who knows what else of value might be hiding down in there.:S:D

Jump an Infinity

Yes, I am getting a brand new set of locks w/ adapter. The time to take it down and have them install them is a much longer than for me to do it myself. I've been on their side of the fence having to explain to a customer why things aren't going as planned. Those customers went with the flow and didn't make my life hell. I decided to keep cool and consider it as a deposit to my personal karma bank account. I like keeping that account in the positve. Never know when I'll need to make a withdrawl.

Jump an Infinity

"or the key that opens the lock will always be the last one you try"

Why would you keep trying keys after you find the one that unlocks the lock. Of course, it should be the last one!:S

:D

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

"or the key that opens the lock will always be the last one you try"

Why would you keep trying keys after you find the one that unlocks the lock. Of course, it should be the last one!:S

:D

On the ring. I hope you are joking as I don't think I could explain it in any simpler terms.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Funny story time... to help you feel better, Monkey.

I has just rotated the tires on my Camaro, which has custom rims on it. I was putting all the lugs back on and the ratchet kept acting up (it was a piece of crap and as I recall I had loaned my good tools to my friend for a weekend at the track).

I was on the locking nut when it finally just kinda shattered, and in my extreme rage (such a simple job should not be as much hassle as this... even though that is the law for car repairs) I picked up the shattered ratchet pieces, screamed "fuck you" and threw them out into some bushes outside my garage. The socket for the locking lugs and all.

I saved myself by getting a hold of some infomercial socket called the "gator grip" or something along those lines. It has since proved to be a handy addition in my tool arsenal.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Well, more to the story. I went out today and noticed the little center hub cover is missing from one of the tires. I know it was on before the new tires. Not sure when it came off. Either at the shop or after. Looks like I need to give them a call and tell them they need to add that to my order of items to replace.:|

Jump an Infinity

All this from a guy who survived jump 666 at midnight out of a DC 3 in a wingsuit!:S

Think maybe you luck finally got tired of being abused :)

John Fosgate
"In the end, its always best to choose the hard right over the easy wrong." LouDiamond
MB 4310
www.N3Racing.com

Yes, I am getting a brand new set of locks w/ adapter. The time to take it down and have them install them is a much longer than for me to do it myself. I've been on their side of the fence having to explain to a customer why things aren't going as planned. Those customers went with the flow and didn't make my life hell. I decided to keep cool and consider it as a deposit to my personal karma bank account. I like keeping that account in the positve. Never know when I'll need to make a withdrawl.

I know I came off like the "ALWAYS RIGHT" customer... but I was just saying!.. but anyway, you have the right tude mc dude!!!

You forgot it was also a moonless night. What could possibly go wrong?

That must have been cool as hell in a DARK sorta way huh?;) bad as sh*t i think!!

peace man

:DD