howardwhite

OLPC Laptop

This is the XO-1 laptop from One Laptop Per Child.
It has wireless built in, so one of the first things I checked was...
Yes, it's true. Soon, little children in third-world countries will be able to tune into The Bonfire.B|
Seriously, the "$100 laptop" is now real (though it's come in at $188 at the moment.) It's an impressive piece of work; the wireless reception is better than that on my "other" laptop, and it's got a really nice though tiny screen (dwarfed by my desktop monitor.) It seems pretty indestructible -- I guess it would survive a beer spilled on the keyboard, though I haven't tried that. It has a video and still camera built in, as well as lots of neat applications aimed basically at elementary school level kids.
Check it out at http://laptop.org/
HW

They have started going out. I signed up for mine the first day of the Give One/Get One program (in which you buy one for yourself and another to be donated to a third-world country.) It came a couple of days ago.
$400 plus shipping; $200 is tax deductible. Plus you get a year of T-Mobile wireless, which is supposed to be worth $350. (I've already logged in with my XO at the local Borders T-Mobile hotspot.)
I saw one at a conference in Montreal in May and decided I had to get one.
(For the geeks, it runs RedHat Linux and it has a terminal, so you can poke around inside. Plus it has three USB ports.)

HW

Damn it.:P

I wanted to be the first to post a pic. I ordered mine on the first day,November 12th, at 9 in the morning.

I did get this in an email this morning however:
Dear OLPC Donor,

We are very sorry to report that your XO laptop will not be arriving by December 24. If your laptop is a gift for a child, please click here to download a gift card explaining that an XO laptop is on its way.

Your laptop is scheduled to be delivered before January 15.

-------
D.T. Holder
SIMstudy

The wiki is the place to go for all the technical stuff:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Home
As the documentation that comes with the XO consists of four very uncrowded pages, the wiki is the source for all knowledge.
There are a few non-standard bits of terminology; what would be known in other contexts as "applications" are called "activities" on the XO; the user interface is called "Sugar."

HW

Good for you!
I have been reading alot about them lately.
The trick is not just getting the price down.
The MIT folks (Negraponte etal) thought they had agreements from several third world countries to get them distributed but the countries are stalling.

Does your's have a solar powered or hand powered energy alternative? I heard that was a major part of the laptop.

I think I will contribute one...will check out the site tonite!

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

Intel pulled out, the OLPC CTO quit, Negroponte is pissing all over Intel and now, The Economist just ripped the OLPC in this review.

I don't think the OLPC has much of a future. Noble idea but I just don't see it working.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

There was a little tiny box waiting for me when I walked in the door today. ;)

I had to change the way my wireless network is set up but thats OK. I had a WEP with a Shared Key but the XO didn't seem to like it. (even tryed the Wpa.sh file) Easy fix though, MAC filtering set to Allow on listed MAC address.

-------
D.T. Holder
SIMstudy