LisaM

Blood Donors....

Hey Blood Donors, anyone ever get a headache afterwards? This is new for me, but ever since about an hour after donating yesterday I have had this killer headache. I took some advil this morning but it won't seem to go away. I drank lots of water and am about to start chugging some after I finish this coffee. :P

I assume it's from the donating since I hadn't had a headache at all in at least a week or two.

Just curious...

And if you haven't given recently, go donate! :)

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I've never had a problem and I've donated over 200 times.

Make sure you're well hydrated before you give blood. Being low on fluids can cause a headache and after donating... well you lose fluids... about a pint!
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Speaking of blood donations, I went to donate blood last week for a Brevard County Deputy who was shot and in need of blood. I just found out that I am banned for life from donating. Anyone ever heard of this? I was stationed in Germany in 1988-89.:o

http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed/blood/supply/cjdv.html

Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

Hey Blood Donors, anyone ever get a headache afterwards? This is new for me, but ever since about an hour after donating yesterday I have had this killer headache. I took some advil this morning but it won't seem to go away. I drank lots of water and am about to start chugging some after I finish this coffee. :P

I assume it's from the donating since I hadn't had a headache at all in at least a week or two.

Just curious...

I've given more than nine gallons and never had that happen to me.

And if you haven't given recently, go donate! :)

I haven't for a couple of years. It really got to be a pain in the ass to constantly have to answer more and more questions, some of them really stupid. What did it for me was when I started to have to explain where and when I went everytime I visited central Mexico for the two years previous to the donation. It just kept reminding me of how much of a litigious mess our society has become ... :S

Head still hurts. I drank a bunch of water and ate lunch. Maybe it's coincidental and has nothing to do with donating.

Might be coincidental, but dehydration is the most likely and most easily treated cause, so keep pushing the fluids!

Don't give up on the donating though, cuz until we get better with the synthetic O2 carriers, we still need those supplies in the hospitals. So thank you VERY MUCH for giving.

I have given over 9 gallons myself (I haven't donated in 3mos, but with my two recent surgeries.... and the post op anemia that I had.... probably should wait a couple more before even considering) But my goal is 10 gallons. (but even once I hit that, I will still likely then pick a new goal... like 100 units.... then a new goal....) The worst "reaction" that I ever had was headache, nausea cuz I hadn't eaten anything prior to donating (partially because the group here also monitors your cholesterol levels with your donation and I wanted it to be a fasting level... bad idea) When your body feels depleted, headaches are very common.

I hope that you start feeling better.
:)

How do you all keep track! I have donated at 3 different blood centers since starting at age 16 so I have no clue. I can say I'm almost at 3 gallons since being at this blood center. I guess I could make a guess that I did about 2 gallons before moving here.

Fluids it is...only I have a meeting in a bit so I can't leave to to pee every 5 minutes. :P

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

How do you all keep track!

I tend to over document and monitor and track... I'm not exactly "anal retentive"... but like to keep meticulous records. :$:)
and so what if you have to go pee every five minutes.... it's a boring meeting! Gives you an excuse to bail B|

[and so what if you have to go pee every five minutes.... it's a boring meeting! Gives you an excuse to bail B|

I'm running the meeting. And the last 2 of these we had took 2 hours as it is. I only will have 1 1/2 hours til it's time to go home, I don't wanna drag it out! :)
Our blood place now does cholesterol checks with every donation. It's way cool!

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I'm running the meeting.

OH! :o:o:o

Um.... I didn't mean "boring"..... I .... ah.....

I gotta go pee. :D:D:D:D:D

That's like someone called orange a horrible color today and there I am wearing an orange shirt.

*open mouth insert foot*

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?