bigway

Omega Vs Spectre

Could i get some feedback on the difference of these two canopies and what would be the better choice for someone who is looking for a 7-cell. I am not looking, i am just trying to learn about the difference for a bit of knowledge.
Thanks.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

as far as i am aware the omega's faded with the alpha's and beta's gyros newer 7 cell is called an omni?

i have never seen one or heard about one either.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

they're both good canopies and are comparable to each other. Both tend to open softly. The spectre (IMO) has a longer glide whereas the Omega has a steeper glide path. Omega's are still made. Omni's are for more advanced canopy pilots IIRC.

One thing to note, if you buy a used Omega, up until a few years ago, they were measured differently than PD canopies and are about 8% smaller than a similarly sized PD. My Omega 180 is roughly equivalent to a Spectre 165.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

I put a couple of jumps on an Omega shortly after it was introduced. At the time I'd done a handful of jumps on a Spectre of the same (claimed) size.

I found the toggle pressure on the Omega I jumped to be much heavier than it was on the Spectre. I was told later that Icarus changed the line trim to improve that but that information could have been incorrect.

The Omega seemed to me to turn a bit faster than the Spectre did.

They were made last year though so the size should be the same as PD i imagine?

Yeah, I beleive Icarus changed the way they measure canopies 3 or 4 years ago
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

The Omni is made by Icarus Canopies. The Omega is also made by Icarus. Both are still available.

The Omega is very comparable to the Spectre. The Omni is a bit more "sporty" with quicker turns and a stronger flare. There were enough differences to keep both on.

You can check out both at www.IcarusCanopies.aero

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

The spectre is a good canopy to fly, ive had good openings since getting it. Does freak me out sometimes. very slow openings, took 1000ft to open one time, since then i make sure the nose isn't rolled or tucked in too far.

the landings are a diferent story.:S

Tom, Tom Tom, Tommy, Tom Love

the canopy as 300+ jumps, used to jump a saber 230 sudent canopy and in order to stop having hard openings, i had 2 in a row, i rolled the nose. Realised i didn't need to when i got the spectre.

As for landings the brake lines are fine its just when i flare the canopy stops dead in the air, and i drop.
so ive got to judge it perfectly.
I,ve done a few jumps on other 150's (saber, silouette (sp)) and had good landings, they dont seem to drop like the spectre.

might get a new main when i,ve got the cash

Tom, Tom Tom, Tommy, Tom Love

the canopy as 300+ jumps

Have a rigger check the line trim if the lines are original.

As for landings the brake lines are fine its just when i flare the canopy stops dead in the air, and i drop.

Are you sure the brake line length is correct? Sounds to me like they are too short.