lippy

Do animals have languages?

So this has been on my mind for a while. If I was to grab a cat from South America...Or China, whatever, and take it to the US - Would he be able to communicate with the other cats, or would he be meowing in Chinese? Would the American cats shun their new aquaintance because he spoke a different language or would they work to understand each other? Would male cats be more sexually attractive to female cats of other races?

Or are cats just cats? Please discuss
I got nuthin

I've a friend who owns a German Shepherd Dog that was trained in Germany, and only responds to commands "Auf Deutsch."

Police dog in Georgia

Platz ya-all

Seetz-sugar

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

I've a friend who owns a German Shepherd Dog that was trained in Germany, and only responds to commands "Auf Deutsch."

But that's dogs learning Human languages. I think he was wondering if "Cat" language has differences. I bet when they put new animals together in habitats at the zoo... there is some adjustment. But I don't know if it would include learning a new "language"

Communication between cats is almost completely non-verbal anyway, and I guess it's older than any human languages. You see them looking into each others' eyes, touching noses and stuff, but most of it is probably too subtle for us to pick up. You'll hardly ever hear cats 'speak' to each other - usually it only happens when they're angry.

They talk to us all the time, of course. I think they must realise that they have to spell things out! And although it's not our language, they do use different sounds to communicate different things. Don't know how much of that is natural, and how much is learned by the way we react to to the various noises.