riddler

Thundersnow

Besides being a great name for a rock band, this is a brand new word to me. I've lived in Denver for 34 years, and I've never heard it, except recently on some weather news sites.

But I became a believer last night. I was playing with my daughter, and I was showing her snow outside (we teach her sign language while we show her stuff). After a few minutes, some great big blue flashes, followed shortly by thunderclaps.

But it wasn't raining - it was snowing???

What in the world causes this? I've never seen lightning nor heard thunder during a snowstorm (probably because I haven't been paying enough attention). My first guess is that the heat from the city has something to do with it. Anyone else ever seen this?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I have no idea what causes it but, I've seen it and it's quite impressive. I'm pretty sure, it has something to do with warm air and cold air mixing. Seems like we're experiencing quite a winter, across the country. Is 'global warming' giving-up:D or is the weather just cycling?

Chuck

i live in denver too and i thought it was the coolest thing i've ever seen! i was freaking out! i had no idea what was going on, so we were looking for info on the internet, just as i was reading about thundersnow, the news chimed in on the tv and started talking about it too!

did you get the big hail/snow balls/flakes too during the storm? its was awesome!

(we teach her sign language while we show her stuff).

-Is there a developmental reason for that or just to teach her a second language?

Just curious...our sons sign a little. It is the only form of real communication they have -they can't speak.

(sorry for the hijack :$)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Is there a developmental reason for that or just to teach her a second language?

Not a developmental reason - we just like to know what she's thinking and seeing. She's 15 months now, so she only speaks about 3 or 4 words, but she knows more than 30 signs (most of them have to do with food :D). It's nice when she wants water, for instance, she'll sign that to us and we can get her a glass of water.

BTW - to any parents of infants or newborns out there - it's very easy to teach them sign language, they pick it up very quickly. Just look here to learn the signs:

http://commtechlab.msu.edu/Sites/aslweb/browser.htm

Edit - I forgot that I want to teach her scuba diving when she's old enough (I can start her at 8), and also I want to fly with her in the tunnel (we can start at 2), and plenty of other things that you can't speak to someone while doing. I think sign language will help us with these things.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Is there a developmental reason for that or just to teach her a second language?

Not a developmental reason - we just like to know what she's thinking and seeing. She's 15 months now, so she only speaks about 3 or 4 words, but she knows more than 30 signs (most of them have to do with food :D). It's nice when she wants water, for instance, she'll sign that to us and we can get her a glass of water.

BTW - to any parents of infants or newborns out there - it's very easy to teach them sign language, they pick it up very quickly. Just look here to learn the signs:

http://commtechlab.msu.edu/Sites/aslweb/browser.htm

Very cool! Yes it's great to teach little ones to sign. Infants as young as a few months old can learn to sign! :)
-Ok back to your original post- I've never seen thundersnow. Only hail and rain during a thunderstorm.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.