markymarc

Atom Legend R,Double RSL anyone explain this system

Sorry Liemberg if I didn't make myself clear about removing the LOR 2. Of course it is possible but I meant it is doable abiding by PdF manual. It is maybe also possible to modify it safely to a single side RSL but I am not good enough to tell.

What I meant is that you should of course not keep the system with both Pins if you only have one loop. (Storing the second pin up your ass is not an option offered by PdF!)

I am surprised to know that people in netherlands are modifying it but I ll know from now. Again as I said it is designed for students, without cameras, without small or elleptical canopies...

Hope I was Helpful!
Patrick

By the way, it should not be used in any other way that what it has been designed for (with 2 PINS, the special handle etc...)

Since you can get the Atom Legend from PdF without the LOR-2 system, I don't see why it can't be modified afterwards.
1. Replace ripcord
2. Replace double loops
3. Remove RSL's
It is in the manual, so they must be OK with that...

You are right though, that modifying it to a single side RSL probably isn't endorsed by PdF and riggers who do that may open a whole can of worms, should something not work out as planned...

Modifying LOR-2 to single side RSL is not permissible in Hungary. It was said that the reserve container grommet is bigger sized for the LOR-2. So if you use only one closing pin then the loop of the ripcord can go into the hole of the grommet and it will causes a hard reserve pull.

Robert

What I meant is that you should of course not keep the system with both Pins if you only have one loop. (Storing the second pin up your ass is not an option offered by PdF!)

Now thats intresting because according to Airtec. pg 55 of The Riggers Guide to Instalation of the Cypres AAD.

"Important note on use of Cypres with LOR II as it is used in France (e.g. in the
Atom, Campus and Galaxy Tandem)
The LOR II system uses 2 closing loops and 2 pins through a single grommet.
The principle is that in the event of an RSL-activated reserve deployment, the
reserve cannot open until both main risers have positively separated from the
harness.
We strongly recommend the use of a 1-pin Cypres, both reserve pins going through
the single loop."

Nullius in Verba

I am very surprised about the solution you suggested with 2 pins in the same loop. I never heard or seen such a thing. I dont really get what is the advantage of this solution (a cutter can cut easily throught 2 loops) but I can guess many problems could occur with 2 pins so close...

I am supposed to see a friend working for PdF tomorrow, i will ask him.
Patrick

I am very surprised about the solution you suggested with 2 pins in the same loop. I never heard or seen such a thing. I dont really get what is the advantage of this solution (a cutter can cut easily throught 2 loops) but I can guess many problems could occur with 2 pins so close...

I'm not suggesting any solution, just pointing out that Airtec say something other than PdF.

Nullius in Verba

Hi kissrg,

I am curious; does the PdeF manual say to put the cable down into the grommet like that? Or should the cable be out of the grommet and around the pin?

It seems to me that with things like in that photo you are creating a harder pull when activated manually.

Thoughts?????

Jerry

I am supposed to see a friend working for PdF tomorrow, i will ask him.

I imagine they must have tried two pins in one loop first...it IS simpler. However, it must not have worked for some reason. My guess is that sometimes one pin leaving took the other pin with it...or the pins ended up stacked on top of each other, and made too big a bump. Someone from PDF, who knows, please tell me the reason. You've got my curiosity up.

Hi kissrg,

I am curious; does the PdeF manual say to put the cable down into the grommet like that? Or should the cable be out of the grommet and around the pin?

It seems to me that with things like in that photo you are creating a harder pull when activated manually.

Thoughts?????

Jerry

I am sure the cable should be out of the grommet. But it was said if you remove one pin from LOR-2, then the cable can slip into the grommet and you will be not able to pull the ripcord manually. I am not a rigger I'm just wonder the others' opinions.

Robert

I imagine they must have tried two pins in one loop first...it IS simpler. However, it must not have worked for some reason. My guess is that sometimes one pin leaving took the other pin with it...or the pins ended up stacked on top of each other, and made too big a bump. Someone from PDF, who knows, please tell me the reason. You've got my curiosity up.

When the Cypres AAD first came onto the market Airtec issued instructions for fitting it to all the availible rigs on the market. At that time the thiner loops developed by PdF did not exsist.

When PdF developed the loops they issued instructions in thier container manual to use the new thiner cypres loop material and fit one pin throught each loop.

However Airtec did not update thier riggers guide for instalation, so there is a conflict between what the container manufature says and the instructions availible from Airtec.

I have an email from Airtec, which states they approve of the PdF twin loop system, but the current manual avalibe from the Airtec website still says to put both pins through a single Cypres loop.

It also states in several places that the only loop material authorised for use with thier AAD is original Airtec material.

I think it's just a case that Airtec never got round to updating thier manual so conflicting instruction exsist.

Nullius in Verba

Hi kissrg,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Good point.
That photo scares me too.
It makes more sense to pack with the ripcord cable ABOVE/OUTSIDE the grommet.
That would vastly reduce ripcord pull forces.

I had the same feeling, looking at that picture: rather a packing error than something wrong with the design. A quick glance at the pics in the issue of the Atom Legend manual I have here shows that all "ripord loops" are above/outside the grommet...

I think you could make that same mistake with 2 curved pins. I'm sure I can reproduce it on any system with a single curved pin at the end of an RSL lanyard, provided there's enough lenght on the ripcord cable...

The "one-curved-pin-pulling-out-the-other" problem, when you would put them both in the same single cypres-loop seem to make sense for anybody that's ever been wrestling with cypres-loops, packing pins and curved pins. I'll take PdF's word for it that 2 loops solves that problem but when I look at it I can still picture things not working as per design...

But since they tested it and I didn't it must be my all to vivid imagination, though... :S

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Hi kissrg,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Good point.
That photo scares me too.
That would vastly reduce ripcord pull forces.

I don't belive that could hapen accidently, I mean I don't think the cable could slip into the grommet after the rig had been closed.

IMO the picture shows a clear rigging error. and one that could be repeated on RW's rsl equipt rigs, but I think you would have to be trying quite hard.

Nullius in Verba