DSE

Learning ASL

I'd like to learn ASL. I'm not doing very well trying to learn online, I guess I do better with one-on-one, I assume it would be the same trying to learn from a DVD.
Anyone have experience with learning ASL on their own vs with a tutor?

Yeah I have been teaching myself ASL to communicate with a hot woman that I recently met. I have been using two sources of info.

the first is a website that I have been using, as it has video for most of the ASL words. Which has been helping me www.kisa.ca/asl.html[url]

The second source of Info is a book entitled:
Learning American Sign Language by Tom L. Humphries (ISBN 0205275532) purchased from Indigo Books.

So far it has helped in the communication process with this woman and I!

Good luck DSE!

This resource is very different from the pages I've been looking at. I'm not sure if I should be starting with the alphabet or with actual phrases, as this site shows?

I started out getting familar with the alphabet, as I have found that fingerspelling is extremely important. ie peoples names, street names, is all done in fingerspelling.

Once I got do the alphabet with my eyes closed and spell my name and the womans name flawlessly, I then went and started lesson one.

It has been fun trying to learn but so far worth it!!

just my 2 cents!

You could always look into a community college. When I took my classes it was only a night or two during the week for 10 weeks. I learned a ton, and its nice to actually be able to ask someone a question too, compaired to online! Or go to half.com and look up the book Signing Naturally, it comes with videos for each level. Its the one I used in classs and it helped a ton!

It is much easier to learn from someone fluent in ASL then trying to learn from a book. I learned in high school from a teammate. Over the years I have not kept in practice and don't remember much.
[:/]
I am sure there are a few skydivers out there that know and are willing to teach. Jen Key (Sugargliderz) had a degree in sign and used it quite regularly at SDChicago.

ANYONE out there that can help????!!!! anyone.......

LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

Hi DSE,

ASL is wonderful!!! I spend a lot of time on ASLPRO.COM. There's a ditionary of everyday words as well as idioms and catch phrases. There's also a "quiz me" section on everyday words and fingerspelling.

What I love the best (and what is ideal) is when I go to the dropzone and spend time with the two Deaf skydivers we have out there. It is so rewarding. I started school a couple of weeks ago to become a certified interpreter and I just LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT.

I have found that learning signs is the easy part....putting it all together is a different story though. ASL is not English...it has a different structure. So it's an entirely different ballgame when you're trying to understand what a fluent ASL user is "saying". When you ask for someone's name, you sign "Your name what?" Not "What's your name?" like in English. It takes some getting used to.

Anyway, there is a great need for interpreters and ASL teachers. I hope you do pursue ASL...it's a beautiful language!

Good Luck!:)

Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

English is a second language in our home, but inspired by LouDiamond, having met a young guy at the holiday boogie, and then meeting a young man who wants to skydive, it seems like a cool tool to have in my head. I don't have any desire or intention to be an interpreter or anything, but I would like to have some basic conversant skills and be able to at least understand some specifics.
Which do you think I would best start with, phrases or alphabet?

You could always look into a community college. When I took my classes it was only a night or two during the week for 10 weeks. I learned a ton, and its nice to actually be able to ask someone a question too, compaired to online! Or go to half.com and look up the book Signing Naturally, it comes with videos for each level. Its the one I used in classs and it helped a ton!

I agree with you completely here. Yet the College isn't offering the course until the end of April. [:/]
So I personally feel it is better to learn something and show this woman that I am interested to communicate with her in a manner that is comfortable for her. Though I have signed up for the classes! Its just something to alow me more time with this woman, without giving her the feeling that I am not interested in not learn ASL!

Hi DSE,

ASL is wonderful!!! I spend a lot of time on ASLPRO.COM. There's a ditionary of everyday words as well as idioms and catch phrases. There's also a "quiz me" section on everyday words and fingerspelling.

What I love the best (and what is ideal) is when I go to the dropzone and spend time with the two Deaf skydivers we have out there. It is so rewarding. I started school a couple of weeks ago to become a certified interpreter and I just LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT.

I have found that learning signs is the easy part....putting it all together is a different story though. ASL is not English...it has a different structure. So it's an entirely different ballgame when you're trying to understand what a fluent ASL user is "saying". When you ask for someone's name, you sign "Your name what?" Not "What's your name?" like in English. It takes some getting used to.

Anyway, there is a great need for interpreters and ASL teachers. I hope you do pursue ASL...it's a beautiful language!

Good Luck!:)

Kathleen, I love you! :)
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I learned ASL, as well as French, by emersing myself into the language versus trying to learn from a book. In Colorado, I was a P.T. for the Colorado Special Olympics,Saturday Club, as well as Colorado Division for the Developmentally Disabled. After work hours, I would hang out with the deaf community and go to restaurants, the mall, the park, etc. I asked them to sign slow for me so I could follow the conversation and be able to respond accordingly and they were all awesome about helping me learn. Great experience.
DSE, you seem to be outgoing and a people person like myself and I really think you would enjoy learning from the deaf community in person versus a book or video. Also you get instant feedbackB|

My two favorite signs are: Communication and Spaghetti:)
Happy Learning! It's Fun!

DSE, you seem to be outgoing and a people person like myself and I really think you would enjoy learning from the deaf community in person versus a book or video. Also you get instant feedbackB|

My two favorite signs are: Communication and Spaghetti:)
Happy Learning! It's Fun!

LOL, you don't know me well, do you?:D Why, in the last 24 hours I've been told at least three times what a huge asshole I am. Even bigger than Walt.:)
Seriously, your idea is the right one, and it's winter. Maybe I should check into the deaf community here and give it a try that way. It's how I'd rather learn. I think you've got the best suggestion yet!

Just think back to when you were in school and took up French or Spanish or German from a BOOK! and it was apparently "proper"...however when you go to the country and try to apply what you learned from an American teacher and a BOOK, you still didn't understand the native tongue. There is a "slang" in all languages just like here in the U.S. the diversity in our language from NYC, to NC, GA, LA, MN, CA.
Therefore, IMO, it's best to learn from who you want to interact with. My experience with my deaf friends was that they were awesome teachers..VERY patient with someone who wants to speak their language.

There are so many volunteer and paid opportunities for you to participate in...and you'll look forward to it and have FUN!

I'm recently out of a two year relationship with a girl who is deaf and also have an aunt who is deaf so ASL has been in and out of my life for a long time. As many other people have stated, spending time with somebody who already signs and is willing to sign with you is the best way but having additional resources can be great so that one person doesn't feel responsible for teaching you everything.

My aunt sent this series of videos to my family 15 years ago or something and I remember them being a very good introduction to conversational ASL. I also recently did a course online at SigningOnline.com and it was definitely a good refresher course.

As a starter, go for the alphabet. It's a SLOW way of communicating, but you'll end up using it to spell words you don't know yet and names and other things, so it'll be worth it. ASL is a beautiful and fun way of communicating, so enjoy :)

You can find sign language classes in your area if you look in the phone book for the nearest Vocational Rehabilitation office (which serves deaf/blind/other disabilities) and you should be able to get the information through there. Learning it in a class or in 1 on 1 instruction is better than watching on a DVD or internet video. Good luck! One of these days we'll meet and we can just make fun of everyone else, and they'll never know it. :D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

You can find sign language classes in your area if you look in the phone book for the nearest Vocational Rehabilitation office (which serves deaf/blind/other disabilities) and you should be able to get the information through there. Learning it in a class or in 1 on 1 instruction is better than watching on a DVD or internet video. Good luck! One of these days we'll meet and we can just make fun of everyone else, and they'll never know it. :D

Cool! I REALLY can't wait to meet you now Billy!;)
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28