floridadiver81

Anyone here a Hapkido Student?

Im seriously considering starting Hapkido classes. I have always had an interest in martial arts and i watched a tv program yesterday about two fighters that were tasked with learning the form. It intrigued me enough to do some research on it. I even suggested to one other just today too.

I see it as a fun and exciting challenge.

If anyone else here is a student i would like to hear about your experiences. Thanks! :)
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

Did the TaeKwonDo thing for a few years at a dojen which also had a combat hapkido class as well, it looked really cool and a much more practical a form of self defense, if thats what you want. You saw Fight Quest, that show rocks. Do you ever check out mixed martial arts bouts on cable- that stuff is the real deal for fighting styles.
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

i took Hapkido and Okinawate 10 years ago, and i wish i coulda stuck w/ it... its a great 'discipline' w/ lots of forms that help you w/ technique... also its not free fighting, its fighting w/ "style"... where straight punches and follow throughs dont fly, its mainly back hand wen it comes to face punches and all hits are in a "hit and retrieve" manner... hope this helps and i hope it works out... blue skies
*Itchy (SVO)
Life is all about experiences...
Luck, is when opportunity and preparation meet...

Im seriously considering starting Hapkido classes. I have always had an interest in martial arts and i watched a tv program yesterday about two fighters that were tasked with learning the form. It intrigued me enough to do some research on it. I even suggested to one other just today too.

I see it as a fun and exciting challenge.

If anyone else here is a student i would like to hear about your experiences. Thanks! :)

So you're a Fight Quest watcher as well, huh? Good show. I've been watching since it started too, and I think once I get out of Coast Guard Basic in April, I'm going to find classes and start it as well. I did Karate back when I was in first grade, but that's a long time ago. Wanted to get back into martial arts ever since.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

thanks for the reply. I wanted people's perspective that have done it. According to the research that i have done...when starting out as a student it focuses on the pressure points and how to manipulate your opponents body. As you advance in the dicipline then you are taught the proper techniques for power punches and kicks. Im really excited to start it. I cant wait!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie

I didnt even know the name of the show. I just caught it while flipping through the channels laying in bed. I didnt catch the whole show but i caught enough to peak my interest in the discipline. I've never had formal dojo training. I had a few friends that did in high school that taught me a few things..but nothing as far as one technique..just basic punches and kicks. Its a good start i guess...but im not going into it thinking im shit hot or anything. Im just going to act as if i dont know anything...and if what i do know helps..than that would be awesome!

Yeah, best way to go into any martial art, or any sport where you risk serious bodily injury. Go in realizing that you're a speck on the map, a crumb on the ground, and earn your way to badass status by lots of practice, focus, and determination.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

I did hapkido as part of my tae kwon do class, it seemed interesting but very complicated compared to the rather simple moves of TKD. I have won a few sparring and breaking competitions with tae kwon do but hapkido is definitely a bit more interesting and probably more real world oriented in terms of self defense, more like jujitsu for instance.

WEll..its actually based off of the Korean and Japanese for of Daito-ryu-Aiki-Jujutsu. Choi Yong Sul developed it during the colonial period of Korea. There are a few others diciplines which are closely related to hapkido..bit it is the most prominent.

Go for it. See if they'll let you take a class or two first before signing up. You may find that once you're actually doing it, you may/may not like it.

We used to do some Hapkido in my old dojo on the weekends as part of our "screw off" from training (Uechi Ryu Karate). :D I always enjoyed it.

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.