Cajones

Saving lives with your computer.

First work unit completed and I got 73 points for it.
it was a sized at 1600.

Right now I am doing a 400, p_625_TL2_EXT

I love how my althon XP 2200+ and 512MB of DDR ram is able to cut through these in a realitively short amount of time.

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." Napoleon Bonaparte

I don't have a lot of WU's done but I am getting the ones worth some real points. so far I have only done WU's over 1000.:)
I'll have to get some more people to let me use their computer time.

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." Napoleon Bonaparte

i guess we can all pick our battles, but there is an AIDS program out there to run too:

http://www.fightaidsathome.org/index.asp

keep in mind that the client programs can all pun simultaniously on some machines, i.e. i have the SETI software running (it does not have to be your screen saver to process info) and this at the same time, in the background, running in my taskbar.

if you have 50 MB of ram laying around, you might be able to run at least 2 of these programs.

When you run more than one DC (distributed computing) programs, they run half-as-fast, or slower. Usually slower. I am running 4 processors on the Genome units, and 2 processors still running SETI. I wouldn't mix them on the same processor, as this would severely cut into efficiency.

As far as pies... I'll take banana cream (with the Nila Wafer crust), and chocolate cream (with the graham cracker crust), if I can choose. I haven't had a pieable event in a few years, but this one is worthy of celebration. Skydivers coming together under a good cause. It's not money in the hands of science (like the excellent work of Jump For The Cause), but we can let them borrow our tools when we're not using them (our computers) - and that's worth a lot.

I think Rantoul would be ideal. Just please don't do it right before I have to do initiations.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

I definitely agree with Cajones. One distributed computing program per machine. Or per CPU for those of us with multi-CPU loveliness. ;)

You can split your work between different projects you consider worthy that way. Running multiple distributed computing programs on one processor end up with sub-par performance on all of them, from what I've seen.

THAT'S why its taking so long!!

It is hard to tell. There are lots of factors that go into how fast your machine will chug through a work unit:

Processor speed
Type of processor (celeron, Pentium, Zeon, etc.)
RAM
Operating system
General non-DC utilization
Task-switching overhead
Size of work unit
etc.

Some distributed computing projects actually use enough disk space that hard drive speed and bus bandwidth also matter. Well, unless you have enough RAM to stuff the whole thing in RAM, that is. It gets to be a complicated issue.

It is hard to tell. There are lots of factors that go into how fast your machine will chug through a work unit:

Processor speed
Type of processor (celeron, Pentium, Zeon, etc.)
RAM
Operating system
General non-DC utilization
Task-switching overhead
Size of work unit
etc.

Some distributed computing projects actually use enough disk space that hard drive speed and bus bandwidth also matter. Well, unless you have enough RAM to stuff the whole thing in RAM, that is. It gets to be a complicated issue.

GEEK!!!!!!!!!

:P