AllisonH

External Hard Drive Recommendations?

That's how it normally works, someone has an issue with a drive or two and they either become a total advocate for or against it.

Most of us have friends in the business of software or hardware and I find a pretty even split of people strongly for and against about every brand.

my one touch is flawless - the free agent has extra features that many find useful. I like the brand. I don't mind the Maxtors, but they are out of business now. The others (especially WD, though previously the worst were IBMs before they got out. I have an IBM here right now from a laptop that when you shake it it rattles like a toy - lost a LOT of good content on that drive.), I've had issues with them crashing or needing to be warrantee returned multiple times.

your mileage may vary, do not swim for at least a half hour after eating.

good luck

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I've sent drives back to every manufactor besides IBM (would never knowingly buy an IBM IDE drive) and have seen them all fail at some point. I've got 13 hard drives in operation at home right now and another 5 or so sitting in a box around the house. Anyone want a 180 meg hard drive? How about a 1.2 gig? :D I'm just done with the FreeAgent design, its way too top heavy and a bump is all thats needed to knock the drive over. I'm sending this one back for a RMA then using it for storage in the firesafe for my files from now on since its just not worth it for day to day use.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I would love to know how you can stack these on their side. The Base sticks out and has the drive leaning on an angle the whole time if its on its side, stacking one on top of it is impossible.

I said the one touch, not the free agent. I don't have a free agent so I don't know if the base detaches or not. CHeck the literature

I've got an 80gb one touch that I've got some router sims and CBT's on and I'm pretty well satisfied with it.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

How about a 1.2 gig? :D

That's great. Memory sticks on key chains are bigger than that. We just bought a new laptop for Skimmer and that cascaded through the family and now we get to trash a desktop computer we bought 9 (?) years ago.

I have a couple pocket memory devices (8G hockey puck, and a 60G - like a stack of 8 credit cards) with more storage on it than this computer's HD.

It's fun technology.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants