Morrison79

Using a external hard drive with I-Tunes

I have been using my external hard drive to hold all my MP3's for my I-Tunes account. Problem is about once a month something fucks up and asks me to locate every song i try to play.

I think the reason is because sometimes the external hard drive shows up as " F:/ ????" and sometimes it's "G:/????" when you look at it in the explorer.

So my question is: Is there a way to make it permantly G:/ ???
I have tried deleting all the songs from I-Tunes and reloading them twice but it keeps happening,
Plus it takes about 10 hours for I-Tunes to sort all that music.

Thanks

I don't know too much about this shite, and luckily my external is always recognized the same so no problem witht Itunes, but have you tried naming your drive? Maybe if Itunes isn't looking for 'F' or 'G' but instead it's looking for 'Morrison's external' or something you can bypass the problem.

Good luck!
I got nuthin

I don't know my way around the Windows version of iTunes but this search in the discussions forum looks like some people with similar problems to yours are finding solutions.

Good luck!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I do the same thing with a portable HD. You have to plug the drive in so it shows up in the same order it did when you added all of your music to your iTunes library. I plug in my HD first and it shows up as G:/ - then I plug in my iPod and open iTunes.

Once, Windows assigned another dirve letter to my HD, and I had to go assign the correct drive letter:

-Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management
-Disk Management
-Right click on your portable HD
-Choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths"
-Click "Change" and continue . . .
Arrive Safely

John

I don't know if this applies or not, but I always plug my WD drive (which keeps all my i-Tunes) into the same USB plug. Fortunately, I've had no problems.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!