skymama

Crock Pot cooking

Completely simple recipe for ya guys... would fit perfectly into that "crockpot cooking for dummies" book.

1 roast of cheap meet, pour about a half to 3/4 can of coke in on top of it, and a packet of dry onion soup mix. Cook for 8 hours.

The coke will make the meat litterally fall apart. The trick of this recipe is to eat most of it that day because the sugars will recarmelize and I've never had much luck reheating this meat- but then again I use cheap meat...

I love my crockpot with my busy mom schedule and have lots of recipes that I'll send you. I have several chicken ones, a really good pork chop one, some roast ones, cubed steak to die for, and a BBQ one.

One thing I invested in a few years back was a crockpot that has a removable insert so I can prepare everything the night before in the insert and put it in the fridge then just take it out the next morning, place the insert in the unit and turn it on. When we are done the insert easily fits in the dishwasher so I don't have to clean it.

After years of trying to clean my old crockpot, I bought one with a removable crock, so much easier!!

If you want to share the recipes with me too, please do!:)
Jan

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Pammi,

Ditto for me on the lettuce wraps recipe. Have any other recipes from there - I also love the crispy honey chicken!!! mmmmmm, now I'm hungry - good thing it's luch time.

THANKS, gia

Raddest ho this side of Jersey #1 - rest in peace brother
Beth lost her cherry and I missed it
.... you want access to it, but you don't want to break it.

a couple of times a year we have "Crock Pot" night at the DZ (Jumptown in Orange, MA). It is the same idea as a "Pot Luck Dinner" but a people have stuff cooking in their trailers or in the clubroom while they are jumping. After jumping everyone breaks out their crock pot dish and we all get to eat some great food!
"If you're not on the centerline -you're out of control"

Ooooohhhh I LOVE my crock pot! I use it at LEAST once a week. Bachelor-proof meals....hehehehehehe.

I'll send you some recipes.....apricot glazed chicken....sauerkraut,apples,&sausage....mushroom chicken.....pork chops ala Vinny....
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Ooooohhhh I LOVE my crock pot! I use it at LEAST once a week. Bachelor-proof meals....hehehehehehe.

I'll send you some recipes.....apricot glazed chicken....sauerkraut,apples,&sausage....mushroom chicken.....pork chops ala Vinny....

Instead of just sending them to a few select people, why not post them so we all can enjoy???;)

I'd like some new crock pot recipes, it's that time of year again!

Jan

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Ok, Katie, I'm posting this for you. The roast was great and the veggies were very tender.

Pot Roast

3-4 lb. roast
1/4 c. flour
2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
bag of baby carrots
3 potatoes (I used extra of the small, red potatoes and halved them, skin on)
2 small. onions, sliced
1 stalk of celery, cut in 2" pieces
1 jar mushrooms, drained
3T flour
1/4 c water

Trim excess fat and brown and drain the roast. Combime 1/4 c flour and S + P. Coat meat with this mixture. Place all vegies except mushrooms in the crock-pot and top with the roast (I cut it in half to fit better). Spread mushrooms over the top of the roast. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours.

If desired, turn on high for the last hour to soften vegies and make a gravy (I didn't bother with this and they were still soft). To thicken gravy, make a paste of the 3 T. of flour and the water and stir in the crock-pot. Season to taste before serving.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Is anyone else a crock pot fan?

I am certainly a fan (Rival 5qt here). An often revisited ritual at my condo is to have a friend over, go to the store and buy a nice roast with potatoes, carrots, celery and onions.

After we arrive back home, much (way much) beer is consumed. At some point, it is decided to begin cooking at which point Hans Zimmer's "Show Me Your Firetruck" (any Iron Chef fans here?) gets played on the computer.

Meanwhile, some severe veggie chopping goes on along with roast preparation including gratutitous coating with garlic salt, black pepper and anything else in the cabinet.

Then the fun part...

Totally turn a burner all the way up and put a tri-ply aluminum pan on it...let it get reaaaal hot and drop some extra virgin olive oil in it....the slap that roast in the pan and sear all sides. (Generally, by the time the searing process has ended the fire department has showed up at least twice :).)

Put the roast on top of the veggies in the crock pot and pour on a special concoction of red-wine with infused boullion and cover it up.

Great hangover recovery food...which, for some reason, is often needed after the nite of preparation :S.

Wow Pammi,
I thought I was the only G.Foreman/Crockpot freak here. Been eating healthy for a while now and it's great. I also use my outdoor grill a lot and it's made a difference in my life/body/mind/thinking. Unfortunately,I usually end up with more than one person can eat, so I now am the proud owner of more Tupperware than most dealers, lol. I guess this is what happens when ya find out ya have diabetes, have had a heart attack and ya quit smoking. At least I feel better than I have in years.

TripleF

Crock pot cooking is one of the easiest way to make you eat excellent pre-cooked meals. As I often work very late at night, I rely heavily on my crock pot, during the week, to keep me away from junk food. On Saturdays, early in the morning, I prepare in advance the meal that I'll be eating when i get back from the DZ.

The slow cooking times of the crock pot, allows me to be away from home for some time, and enjoying a full day of skydiving at the DZ:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:, without having to worry about the meal to burn before I get back home, and the result is always a delicious meal. :P:P:P;) I have the RIVAL model 38601 (the electronic one, that lets you choose specific cooking times, between 4,6,8 and 10 hours). With the crock pot, it's easy to prepare many meals in advance, and put them to the freezer.

Crock pot cooking is perfect for the skydiver who want to spend his time at the DZ, not in the kitchen.

;)

Yves.

Reviving this old thread since I've been on a crock pot kick lately!

Tried this recipe recently and it turned out great:

http://www.crock-pot.com/recipedetail.aspx?recipeid=570

I used country-style ribs, doubled the sauce since I had a lot of meat, threw some baby carrots in about halfway through (or else they'd get mushy), didn't use celery since I didn't have any, and substituted some of the red wine with worcestershire sauce instead so it wouldn't get too winey. I think the worcestershire sauce made a big difference! Just enough red wine taste, not overpowering.

The meat was just falling apart....Great with wild rice! Fantastic as leftovers the next day too.

Also, today I made up the following:

pulled pork with tortillas

4 pork chops
garlic
salt
fresh ground pepper
ancho chile pepper (McCormack's brand from the grocery store works)
cumin
oregano
apple cider vinegar (a few splashes)
10 oz can of diced tomatoes with green chile peppers (and/or some bottled salsa)
low salt beef broth

I lightly browned the pork on the stove with a little salt and pepper, and bit of veg or olive oil (I sometimes just throw it in the crock pot without browning, but I had time today...couldn't jump!)

Throw the pork into the crock pot on low with all the spices, apple cider vinegar, tomatoes/salsa and beef broth. Not that much broth. Maybe around a 1/4-1/2 cup? Cooked it on low for about 6-7 hours.

Shred the meat, toss it back in the pot for a little bit, then serve it with lettuce, cheese, salsa, beans etc, whatever you like, with corn tortillas. I usually make my own tortillas but I was lazy this time around. (I'm a corn tortilla girl rather than flour but everyone is different)

Crock-pot cooking is pretty fool proof. Take whatever spices you happen to have and it will probably work!

I never really have luck with rice in the crock pot though. So if I ever want rice for a crock-pot meal I just throw some on the stove about a half hour before I want to eat. Stove-top rice always comes out better for me. (potatoes in the crock pot turn out fine though. hmm)

Okay, just thought I'd share!